Any good ways to earn a little extra cash (legally)

Discussion in 'education & employment' started by emanymton, Jul 27, 2017.

1. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

Ok my situation is this. I moved home a few months ago, and as a result my bills have gone up quite a bit. Previously I was sharing a council house which is a very cheap way to live. I have a full time time job which doesn't pay well, but covers my bills. So I am doing OK, but don't have much disposable income to play with.

What I would like to do is just top my income up slightly. I'm not stupid and know there are no easy ways to make money. So I am not looking for much. Ideally an extra £100 a month for around 20 hours of time investment. But even an extra £50 a month would be nice.

I would prefer something I could do at home from my laptop as and when I feel like it, with no time commitment. And where I could reliably earn about £4-5 an hour.

I don't think think I have any particularly marketable skills, so there is probably nothing suitable. But I am not asking for huge earnings, so there might be something out there.

I am pretty sure any attempt to Google this will result in lots of shit, dodgy companies comment up. So thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas.

2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Barman

Badgers likes this.
  3. Pickman's model

Shelving books in academic library, which is also good exercise

Badgers likes this.
  4. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

i misread that as 'batman'

i don't know what the pay is like for that...

space-tout, wiskey, emanymton and 2 others like this.
  5. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

6. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

A friend was working for Google. Checking websites were indexing correctly and relevant to search terms. He did it from home. Nothing technical just being a human checker. Could work for you. No idea how he got it though.

weltweit and Badgers like this.
  7. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

Running someone's social media accounts for them and or booking work. A comedian friend of mine was looking for someone along those lines a while. Maybe you know someone in a band or promoting social media stuff for their work?

Badgers likes this.
  8. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper Up against the wall motherfucker.

Agree with barwork/cafe/kitchen shift. One shift a week, say 5 hours a time, about £34 a week/£135-ish a month minimum. Sometimes with a free meal if you're doing a restaurant shift.

Some personal care assistant work is often a low weekly hour commitment. Seen a few jobs like that recently for 15-20 hours a week.

Or spend a day at car boot sale/browsing online, then re-selling the things on eBay. More effort, but possibly more enjoyable and flexible time wise.

Proofreading?

9. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

Surely any casual job that's totally flexible, doesn't require specific skills & can be done on a laptop from the comfort of home is gonna be like hens teeth? I'm guessing if such wonders exist, they get oversubscribed pretty quickly.

10. pengaleng

pengaleng Lil' J Pengele PhD. The Angel of Sesh

sex work.

11. emanymton

I'd prefer something I can do from home, but was thinking it might have to be 4 or 5 hour shift somewhere. I quite like the idea of shelving books, is that a thing though? Can you get just 4 or hours hours somewhere shelving books?

Proofreading would be ideal, but I think being dyslexic, and shit at English generally is a bit of a barrier though

I considered the eBay thing, and a) it sounds like a lot of work and b) I would prefer not having to pay out first, as I didn't want to risk ending up with less money.

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. emanymton

Probably, but I hope that being OK with shit pay would increase my options. I have heard of people doing this sort of work, and how shit it is if it is your only source of income, but as a little bit extra it could be OK.

At the end of the day my current situation is that I should be able to pay the bills and feed myself so if nothing comes up so be it.

EastEnder and Pickman's model like this.
  13. Pickman's model

you can get a few hours shelving books, for example on a saturday morning. in the first instance email the reader services / user support person at your local college or university and ask, the worst they'll tell you is they have nothing now but to keep an eye out for vacancies. you'd be looking at a minimum of about £8/hr. there may well be a shelving test, to demonstrate you can put books in shelfmark order.

weepiper, emanymton and Badgers like this.
  14. emanymton

Interesting I keep it in mind if nothing else turns up. Thanks

15. emanymton

Now, I know there are some odd people out there who are in to some really weird shit. But you haven't seen me.

16. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

If you've got £100 available, then do this www.bonusbagging.co.uk

Yes, the site looks dodgy as hell, NO, you won't make that amount of money every month either. I think it costs about £30 to sign up. You'll make it back easy and probably make about £500 if you follow it through and do all the signups. THe good thing is, the site tells you EXACTLY what to do, you just do what the email tells you to do. You don't need to necessarily understand sports betting, but it helps if you do, and ideally, you don't already have online accounts with the major bookmakers (William Hill, Ladbrokes, Coral, Sky Bet, Bet365, Betfair, etc etc)

Basically it takes advantage of bookmaker signup offers, I hear yeah! The bookie always wins, but you basically lay (cover all outcomes) of a race or a football match by using a betting exchange to bet agaisnt what you bet on at the bookmaker (hence you need £100 to start with) you will lose a few pence doing the qualifying bet, then the bookmaker gives you free money, for example Bet365 which you do last, will give you a £200 bonus if you deposit £200, the idea is, to keep about 75%-80% of that free money they give you. So when you do your 'free bets' which will be of varying value you still do an exchange bet (lay) on the free bet and when the event is said and done all your money and free money they gave you will either be in the bookmaker or the exchange. Withdraw and repeat.

If you keep 'winning' at the bookmaker, you may need to take your time a bit more in order to get the money back into your account, same if you keep winning at the exchange, but over the course of say a month you should be able to make about £500 profit as long as you don't spend the money until you're fully finished, as you'll need the money you make from the other offers to do the bigger offers, like the 365 one, because you need money in your exchanges to cover your liabilities should a £200 bet win at the bookmaker!

This video may explain it a little better: (don't worry about seeing dollars in this particular video, everything is in £)

I've done this system few years ago, can vouch for it, and even moved onto his other products if you want to make yourself some extra pocket money every month, I've made £5k in two years, I could easily make more, it's just very time consuming and the bookmaker will eventually cotton on to what you're doing, so they 'gub' (ban) you from offers. None of these links are affiliate links, they take you right to the site. Happy to answer any questions on PM if you'd rather not ask here. So doing something like this can easily raise you some cahs for rainy days, or to cover family holidays, although the more money you have in your 'betting bank' the more you can afford to put to use to keep making the bank bigger, so you do find yourself, not actually wanting to spend the money you make, and want to keep making the pot bigger!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  17. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

A few years back I did match betting/bonus bagging and was making about £400 a month from it.

Anything gambling/betting is also taxfree

May start doing it again soon

emanymton and Badgers like this.
  18. pengaleng

shouldnt be so down on yerself

19. emanymton

I think 'dodgy as hell' is a bit of an understatement!

20. emanymton

I've not got time to look into this properly at the moment. But to make sure I have the basics. I pay £27 upfront, I then get an email telling me which sites to join and what bets to place. I'll need cash to open the betting accounts, but will never have to pay the bloke running the site again? How does that work? Does he send out regular emails? Because that website does look dodgy as fuck. And I am tempted to ask if his systems works as well as he claims, why he needs to sell lifetime memberships for £27?

My biggest question would be how much time do you need to put in, to make a profit? If I'm putting 7 it 8 hours a week into it and just breaking even, then I'm not sure it is worth it.

21. weltweit

weltweit Well-Known Member

Some kind of party plan or multilevel marketing.

kleeneazy, betterware, what is that sextoy one? their reps usually do well.. iirc

22. wiskey

wiskey Albatross Admirer

My friend has just paid for a holiday by doing younique... She has two teenage kids with lots of friends into makeup though.... And she spams fb ALL the time

23. emanymton

Nope
    Nope

:D

24. pengaleng

them products are pure shit so she must be well good at selling to kids :D

pianistenvy and emanymton like this.
  25. Wolveryeti

Wolveryeti Young Lethargio

Fiverr / TaskRabbit / Mechanical Turk

Though for the latter two you are competing against anyone with a computer in the world, so the rates are pretty shite.

26. weltweit

27. weltweit

I know someone who buys stuff at car boot sales and then sells it on ebay. He does it quite intensively and does make quite a lot of money.

28. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Betting. As long as you're disciplined and have a decent float. I used to clear 20-30 quid a day fairly easily by betting a big stake on an absolutely sure thinh and just keeping it rolling all weekend. Can't be arsed doing it any more but if you're ok with making 80p a bet etc and have the time to do it then it's pretty easy. I'm talkng betting on things like there not being 8 goals in a match.

29. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Not what they want but what is good for them

buy and sell art editions - there is some fucking awful awful shite out there that people go nuts for . eg an Invader print was released @ 700 EUR or something a month ago and sells for several grand today.

Riklet likes this.
  30. weltweit

I heard on the radio today about a young man who set out to sell his collection of trainers on the net. A few years later he is turning over £100,000pa selling trainers online.