1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Any decent compact cameras?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kazza007, Apr 7, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I LOVE it - I still use it more than any other camera - but its Achilles heel is bloody dust on the sensor. And bugger taking the thing to pieces!

Chilli.s likes this.
  2. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

I'm looking to get a compact camera. Something that doesn't take up much space, takes good photos and has a decent zoom.

I don't want to spend too much due to a natural tendency towards parsimony ;) Ideally I'd like to spend under £200 and I'm not averse to buying second-hand.

I'm thinking perhaps a Sony HX60 or Panasonic Lumix TZ80? Any thoughts?

Cheers

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Are you looking for a basically "point and shoot" camera, or one on which you can manually input shutter speed and aperture, if you want to?

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If you can squeeze a bit over £200, this one is a cracker with a mahoosive zoom:

Buy Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60 Digital Camera, HD 1080p, 18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, Wi-Fi, NFC, GPS & GLONASS, EVF, 3” Screen | John Lewis

Or for £170, another good 'un:

Buy Sony Cybershot WX350 18MP 20x Zoom Compact Digital Camera at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Compact digital cameras, Cameras, Cameras and camcorders, Technology.

heinous seamus likes this.
  5. heinous seamus

Manual control would be nice (although I'd probably end up not using it :facepalm:)

6. heinous seamus

editor likes this.
  7. ViolentPanda

The Fuji Finepix F770EXR etc have auto and manual control, and fit into a pocket easily (I've got a pair of F660EXRs, which I'm very fond of as street photography cameras, and for doing panoramas. RoyReed has/had an F600EXR (same as mine, but records pic in RAW as well as jpeg format), which he likes.
    You might also look at Lumix LX5s and LX7s, which are also very well-regarded, although they only have a 3x or 4x zoom.

8. ViolentPanda

I have a TZ1 that is still going strong and being used by a friend! I'm a big fan of Panasonic in terms of build quality and robustness. Same with Fuji.

9. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

My F600 needs a major overhaul - it won't focus correctly any more. It did get some abuse as it lived in my jacket pocket without a case for over three years before it started going wrong.

10. ViolentPanda

I had to have my first one serviced last year, as the lens blinds weren't closing properly, and it wasn't focusing properly. I think it cost me £50 or £60 at Fixation in Kennington. I believe that they just swapped out the entire lens assembly for one from a parts camera. It was worth it, as IMO all the buttons and dials are extremely well-placed, and that makes it easy to use.

11. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

Fixation are really good, but I didn't know they repaired pocket cameras. I'll give them a call.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Maybe a daft question, but how much better are cameras in this price range over a new smartphone like an S8?

13. ViolentPanda

They also repaired my brother's Canon G11 when he accidentally dropped and kicked it, resulting in the top plate coming away, which has resulted in years of "it's a camera, not a ball" jokes.

RoyReed likes this.
  14. ViolentPanda

The sensors are usually larger. Samsung S8 sensor size is 1/3.6". That's about half the size of the sensor in the TZ60 or the WX350, plus the lenses on the cameras are much better.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  15. UnderAnOpenSky

So does translate for noticeably better pictures. :)

16. ViolentPanda

Pretty much. Phone cams may have high pixel counts, but those pixels are crammed onto a smaller sensor. A camera with the same pixel count but a larger sensor will produce better pictures, all other things being equal.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. UnderAnOpenSky

Thanks. I find the S8 is bloody impressive, although suspect part of that is the screen they are viewed on is also rather good. However at times it's not the most ergonomic, especially in a case. Sadly it appears "tough" compacts are rarely as good.