1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Any decent compact cameras?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kazza007, Apr 7, 2017.

1. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Hi, thinking of downsizing, anything good around such as the old canon S line? Just a holiday photographer. Would like pocketability, manual control, decent zoom, not fussed on Vf/hot shoe. Don't mind old models.
    Ty

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You'll have to throw in some kind of budget! What kind of zoom do you need?

kazza007 likes this.
  3. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Maybe around £300. Happy with second hand. Not sure specially on zoom. Happy to compromise. I have a Panasonic gx7.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How about this one for £299?

Sony DSCRX100 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

kazza007 likes this.
  5. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No - you've got a really good camera but the Sony is - as you requested! - far more compact. You won't notice much difference in every day use though unless you crank up the ISO. It's a great compact (you could also look at getting one of the later models s/hand).

2017-04-08_143930.jpg
    2017-04-08_143951.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Review
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100: Digital Photography Review

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Tbh the GX7 is already pretty compact. Have you thought using it with something like the 12-32mm pancake zoom? That would save money over a high end compact and you end up with better image quality too.

kazza007 likes this.
  8. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

No I hadn't thought about that. Maybe a good idea.

I had a d5100, wanted to learn, wasn't taking it anywhere. Then got sucked into the bridge/micro 4/3/mirror less thing, so ended up with gx7, which was good. But a couple recent city breaks, no checked in luggage, meant no room. Guess i could have tried to put into a jacket pocket, but still a bit bulky. Ended up using my Nexus 7 phone camera.

9. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

I don't have the 12-32 myself but I often carry a GF2 body with either the 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 pancake primes, which are around the same size I think, and body+lens fit into a jacket pocket. In fact I had my GX8 on a trip recently, which is noticeably chunkier than the 7, with the 14/2.5 and I could get that into a pocket too (bit of a squeeze).

I usually throw a long zoom into my bag as well just in case but don't often use it.

alsoknownas and kazza007 like this.