1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Any decent compact cameras?

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by kazza007, Apr 7, 2017.

1. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Hi, thinking of downsizing, anything good around such as the old canon S line? Just a holiday photographer. Would like pocketability, manual control, decent zoom, not fussed on Vf/hot shoe. Don't mind old models.
    Ty

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You'll have to throw in some kind of budget! What kind of zoom do you need?

kazza007 likes this.
  3. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

Maybe around £300. Happy with second hand. Not sure specially on zoom. Happy to compromise. I have a Panasonic gx7.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How about this one for £299?

Sony DSCRX100 Advanced Digital Compact Premium Camera: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

kazza007 likes this.
  5. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No - you've got a really good camera but the Sony is - as you requested! - far more compact. You won't notice much difference in every day use though unless you crank up the ISO. It's a great compact (you could also look at getting one of the later models s/hand).

2017-04-08_143930.jpg
    2017-04-08_143951.jpg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Review
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100: Digital Photography Review

7. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Tbh the GX7 is already pretty compact. Have you thought using it with something like the 12-32mm pancake zoom? That would save money over a high end compact and you end up with better image quality too.

kazza007 likes this.
  8. kazza007

kazza007 Bunned

No I hadn't thought about that. Maybe a good idea.

I had a d5100, wanted to learn, wasn't taking it anywhere. Then got sucked into the bridge/micro 4/3/mirror less thing, so ended up with gx7, which was good. But a couple recent city breaks, no checked in luggage, meant no room. Guess i could have tried to put into a jacket pocket, but still a bit bulky. Ended up using my Nexus 7 phone camera.

9. FridgeMagnet

I don't have the 12-32 myself but I often carry a GF2 body with either the 14/2.5 or 20/1.7 pancake primes, which are around the same size I think, and body+lens fit into a jacket pocket. In fact I had my GX8 on a trip recently, which is noticeably chunkier than the 7, with the 14/2.5 and I could get that into a pocket too (bit of a squeeze).

I usually throw a long zoom into my bag as well just in case but don't often use it.

alsoknownas and kazza007 like this.
  10. GeriatricMascot

GeriatricMascot available for weddings, birthdays and bar mitzvahs

I've just changed from the Fuji x-m1 to a x-pro one but I absolutely loved the former. Fits in my pocket to take to the football and for web use it's quality is perfect. I tend to shoot with the 35mm 1.4 to help in low light but for inexpensive quality I can't fault the Fuji range.

11. FridgeMagnet

editor likes this.
  12. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

13. FridgeMagnet

It gets a good write up. There's an updated model now though - Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 Review | PhotographyBLOG which is probably why there are discounts on the FZ72.

These superzoom bridges are really best if you want something for very long range shots - they have absurdly long lenses so are great for wildlife for instance. Not so good for street photography, parties etc as they don't have great low light performance and are a bit bulky.

Pickman's model and editor like this.
  14. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

and the 82 is just €100 more. It would be good to have the versalitity

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I still rate the Ricoh GR as the best compact camera on the planet.

16. Tankus

Tankus random farter

Went from an eos to eos - M....use the same lenses with an adaptor ...I didnt realise how much of a deal breaker the lack of a viewfinder would be ...

Dont like it

17. FridgeMagnet

Yeah, if you have the money I would go for the latest model. I rate Panasonic quite highly - they may not be trendy but they make excellent cameras. All my Micro 4/3 kit is Panasonic.

18. FridgeMagnet

I do as well but mine now has sensor dust :mad:

I like the consistent perspective that shooting with a fixed focal length enforces. I think it makes a series of pictures of an event or journey hold together - each frame is a different view from the same viewpoint. Changing focal length really messes with visual perspective in a lot of ways and can turn a series into a jumble of unrelated images.

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Mine too: it's major weakness with the Ricoh but it's such a fast and brilliant camera you either have to learn to live with it (and head for the Photoshop 'clone' tool if the dust shows) or fork out for it to be cleaned.

20. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Just been looking into this further. I understand Wi-Fi connectivity is only for social media, not email. I don't do social media apart from what's app. Would I be better getting NFC to connect with my phone and take it from there?

21. FridgeMagnet

I don't know about the FZ82's wifi system but if it's anything like the GX8's, I just use it to (occasionally) transfer pics to my phone, never to post directly. The Panasonic phone app has some stuff that's theoretically useful like remote control - you can look through the camera's lens and take pictures - but I never really use that either. Frankly it's a pain in the bum to get connected, though once you are it works fine. I treat it as a bonus feature but not one I rely on.

Pickman's model and hash tag like this.
  22. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

The camera broadcasts Wifi, it doesn't join existing wifi networks. So you link your phone to the Wifi the camera broadcasts, and you can download photos to your phone, in order to make sharing on social media easier, when you return to 4G/Proper wifi with internet access.

As Fridgemagnet also said you can do some remote control as well, which can be useful if you've got a tripod and want to include yourself in the pic. The biggest problem with this is then trying to hide your phone when you don't want it in the shot.

23. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

But to transfer to phone, I could simply use NFC? Which negates the need for wifi...sorry, if transferring pics to your phone for onward transmission, there is no need for Wi-Fi on the camera?

24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I went for the TZ80 in the end It was hardly out of the box and I took it away to experiement at the weekend. I am no photographer by any stretch, but have been very pleased with stills and video's taken with the zoom of action....great.

Panasonic TZ80/SZ60 review | TechRadar

+

Attached Files:

25. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

or this

Attached Files:

cybershot likes this.
  26. GeriatricMascot

editor let me know if this is not on but I have a Fuji x-m1 for sale which I'm not using. Do we have a for sale thread?

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Wellll,we don't have a for sale thread but maybe we could start with perhaps a suggestion that a donation is made to the server fund if things get sold>?

Virtual Blue likes this.
  28. GeriatricMascot

That's a good plan? Would be a good way to keep the forums running for freeeeee!

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  30. Chilli.s

Chilli.s Well-Known Member

I love my Ricoh GR, favorite gadget.

editor likes this.