1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Nazi League Carnival Against The Nazis '94

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Fingers, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Anyone go to this?

madolesance likes this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

I don't think so, sounds like a trot do

3. Voley

Voley O'er grassy dale, and lowland scene

Yep. I'm in the crowd there, briefly.

4. Voley

Just going through the Youtube stuff alongside that - this ITV report of the Welling demo looks familiar.

I can remember going ffs :facepalm: at the description of 'a cowardly mob of extremists'.

5. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

Looks like the demonstrators won and the Nazis are no more.

Winot likes this.
  6. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

Yeah, 'twas a good day out.

7. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Yea, was there. Terrible music from what I remember.. The Levellers and Manics. I complained all day.

Was at the Welling demo as well. The bricks we threw were all in self defence at the coppers who were chasing us down on horses. The section of the video were the fighting was going on in front gardens is what I remember most

Pickman's model likes this.
  8. Pickman's model

the cemetery wall just came away in my hand

DaveCinzano likes this.
  9. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of black entertainers. Did they have any Jewish entertainers?

10. Pickman's model

tony cliff, but he's dead now

11. nogojones

I remember some fella coming out of his house "I don't care about the wall, just watch the car!"

12. souljacker

Was it? I remember credit to the nation, back to the planet and Billy Bragg. The Manics may have played but I'm sure the levelllers didn't.

It was a LONG time ago though.

13. Johnny Canuck3

Johnny Canuck3 Well-Known Member

What matters is he wasn't dead at the time of the concert.

14. Voley

The Levellers definitely did play. It was a pretty dire lineup all round, although I liked Credit To The Nation back then. The RATM / Senser benefit at Brixton Academy around the same time was better musically, although even that was tainted by Billy Bragg. I swear he was fucking stalking me around that time.

15. nogojones

Maybe it was Billy Bragg instead of the levellers, they both sound pretty much the same to me - fucking awful.

16. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

Yes I was there,Bragg you're still a cunt by the way.

17. souljacker

I do remember the music being a bit poor at these do's. However, it was always a good afternoon. There was one in North London once (for some reason I'm thinking Highbury area but I can't honestly remember) and there was an after party in Stoke Newington that started out as a blues party but ended up being a big rave that went on until Sunday lunchtime.

Good times!

18. Gixxer1000

Gixxer1000 cant wheelie a shaftie :(

I was in the cemetary when the wall came down. Was medieval, mounted police silhouetted on the skyline before charging into a hail of thrown stones.

19. Pickman's model

it was quite a decent day

20. renegadechicken

renegadechicken Live and don't learn, that's me.

Yeah i enjoyed the day too.

21. Peanut Monkey

Peanut Monkey Flea-Bit of CHL.

My little 14-year old self was there. You can see me jumping up and down in the crowd briefly (to the Levellers). Thing I most remember was half the crowd falling over when a surge happened because we were on a slope.
    I can't abide the Levellers these days.

22. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I saw Bragg crying, yes crying at Welling because people were resisting police charges into a dangerously crushed area. Jesus.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was there. But got a bit squiffy on cider.

24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I was at welling...I was seen on the news waving a stick and my mum told me off for attacking the police.

What I had to explain was that the stick was a banner until some copper on his horse charged at me and took the top off it.

I remember the riot police on the other side of the cemetery wall pushing people back from climbing over. I remember being stuck down residential streets with nowhere to go being charged by police on horses. Jumping over garden fences and walls just to get a breather away from the crowds.....and then jumping back in just to keep moving.

wurlycurly likes this.
  25. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

soooo fucking dangerous! one woman lost 2 young kids in the mele
    totally irresponsible of plod to force everyone in there

i lived up near the common at that time and the fash were behind the police lines goading the protestors and doing nazi salutes etc, cunts :mad:

26. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

:D

27. stethoscope

stethoscope without the technical flim flam

Was going through some old tickets and flyers earlier and this was amongst it… Remember it being a pretty decent day tbf.

[​IMG]

DaveCinzano, Gramsci and ddraig like this.
  28. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

If you have any more of this its worth donating it to Lambeth Archives. They are always interested in things like this for the archives.

29. Blagsta

Blagsta Minimum cage, maximum cage

I remember going to some anti racist thing in Kennington Park, early 90s, Marxman played iirc. My main memory is some bonehead twats on the tube on the way there, then one of them ineffectually tried to punch me outside Kennington tube station.

30. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

I recall going to it on my own. Quite enjoyed Urban Species ( :oops: ), African Head Charge and CTTN, and the Levellers too. Some stranger went to great lengths to explain to me why Manic Street Preachers were The Best Band In The World Ever.

But coming six months after Welling, it felt very tame and not much like doing anything that meant anything, and musically it was less interesting than DUFF or even the Respect free festival, where I seem to remember variously enjoying Chumbawamba, Justin Sullivan and LTJ Bukem (and MC Conrad) at sundry tents and stages.