1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Fracking Protector Camps

Discussion in 'protest, direct action and demos' started by Jeremiah18.17, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Jeremiah18.17

Jeremiah18.17 Well-Known Member

Anti fracking protection camps are springing up around the country in response to the government's determination to force fracking on unwilling communities.
    The latest is in Ryedale, following the rejection of a legal challenge to the planning permission there.
    The protector camps are just one part of a strategy of resistance, civil disobedience and direct action that will be rolled out and escalated if the frackers and their political puppets persist in their assault on the environment and health.

Anti-fracking camp set up near Kirby Misperton shale gas site

One dog and crossthebreeze like this.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

Do you mean protester instead of protector?

Badgers likes this.
  3. Jeremiah18.17

No, "protector" is what they are being called, as with DAPL and "Water Protectors". They give a base and focus near the projected sites and are in themselves direct action as subject to legal challenge by the landowners. They also allow bridges and relationships to be built between the activist community and local people if run properly. Previous camps have called themselves, e.g. Barton Moss Community Protection Camp and Upton Community Protection Camp.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    One dog and Artaxerxes like this.
  4. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

The 'Cancer/Google it' banner in that article about the Ryedale camp is the shittest 21st Century 'political' banner so far.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. Pickman's model

upload_2016-12-23_16-33-33.png

6. beesonthewhatnow

beesonthewhatnow going deaf for a living

7. Jeremiah18.17

An FOI request from Friends of the Earth has revealed the moves by INEOS to seismic test and test drill in parts of Sherwood Forest around Mansfield.Their rival IGas already has planning permission for drilling at Misson Springs on the North Nottinghamshire border with South Yorkshire.

Residents worried over plans for Sherwood Forest fracking surveys

One dog likes this.
  8. Jeremiah18.17

One dog likes this.
  9. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Thanks Jeremiah.

10. Pickman's model

Thieves indeed

One dog and Badgers like this.
  11. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I've seen a lot of far right and anti semitic types trying to latch onto anti fracking protests over the last few months. I don't know if this is simply online or whether it's playing out on the ground though. Anyone got any info?

12. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

Only anecdotal, but someone I know went to the Balcombe camp (year before last maybe?) and who wasn't particularly aware of that dynamic, yet they reported the camp was full of those types with none of it being challenged as far as they saw. Also I know Manchester area has had problems with them as well. Not sure if it's ongoing in the campaigns/groups generally now though...

Be interested to hear more up to date info as well.

13. Environmental activism is a hotbed of conspiracy theorists, it's just a few short steps from fluoride in water and chemtrails to Jewish conspiracies. Is it more that rather than fash proper?

14. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Yes, from what i've seen - people who've absorbed anti-semitism and stuff through general conspiracy theory rather than formal membership hitler worshiper types. And i really should make clear i'm not pointing the finger at the mass of people involved in anti-fracking activity at all. Just the people i've come across numerous times over the last few months while researching some other people.

tim likes this.
  15. Yes it's a thing. It doesn't go unchallenged but, well, their beliefs are unshakeable. It's pretty annoying actually.

Jeremiah18.17 and SpookyFrank like this.
  16. It probably isn't challenged enough.
    Mostly because it's a mix of conspiracy theorists and 'all views are valid' liberals. Some of them are even involved in (liberal) anti-fascism without seeing any contradiction. I guess it intersects perfectly with some of the free Palestine views also.

tim likes this.
  17. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

The trouble is that fracking protests need to bring in as many people as possible, and this often makes them a honey trap for people so shit that nobody else anywhere is willing to give them the time of day. They're not merely tolerated either, in the case of tosspots like Ian R Crane they get themselves elevated to the position of spokesperson/figurehead. Another big name at Barton Moss was FOTLer and convicted wife beater 'Dr' Steven Peers.

Consequently I've given up on fracking site tourism and I'm gonna stick to my local group from now on, as I think it's easier to challenge crap behaviour if you know the people you're working with and they know you.

muscovyduck and Magnus McGinty like this.
  18. Broad groups generally. Occupy was full of it.

tim likes this.
  19. Jeremiah18.17

Yes, this. Social media unfortunately empowers conspiraloons way beyond their strength in numbers and in movements challenging the status quo gifts the defenders of corporate and state power a powerful attack tool. I have been alarmed recently at conspiraloon memes and YouTube vids recently being shared by, amongst others in my network, anti-frackers, naive members of Momentum, peace movement people, "apolitical" environmentalists and animal rights types. I usually try to tactfully point out the dodgy source and/or blatant bits of disinformation.

20. This popped up on my feed recently. I'd agree with some of it in principle, except it's purpose it to push anti vax and anti science propaganda. Putin said it so it must carry weight.

IMG_0021.JPG

Yet there's zero evidence that he actually said it. Checking facts isn't their strong suit.

21. Red Sky

Red Sky It was like that when I got here.

Balcombe was amazing. Something about the weather, the proximity to London, the media coverage, whatever got a few thousand people off the sofa and camped outside a drilling rig in rural Sussex.

It felt a lot like Newbury, Fairmile and all that. A panoply of anti authoritarian belief systems. There were a lot of anarchos and environmentalists there but also Freemen, Druids, conspiraloons, Steampunks and horsedrawn hippies.

There's a few who'd get put off by that or write it all off as 'dodgy' I find it quite invigorating.

22. Really? As an anti-fascist you find anti-semitism cloaked as 'anti-authoritarianism' 'invigorating'?

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  23. Red Sky

An admirable precis.

24. Not absent of the context it appeared in.

25. Red Sky

That was far from the dominant strain of lunacy at the camp. But you have to be there to challenge it, and challenging it doesn't always involve bolshily announcing that you've got all the answers.

Jeremiah18.17 likes this.
  26. I agree with this and understand it's difficult. Especially if you like the people espousing fascist ideas.
    I think it's important to have a position on it though. Do any left groups have an actual position on Conspiracy Theorists? I know of one that are formulating a position.

27. Red Sky

It's unusual to hear outright 'fascist' ideas. It's also rare to come across a conspiracy theorist who can really argue their corner. Mostly people have latched onto a set of incompatible beliefs, a portfolio of theories that are united by a vague anti-establishment feel.

28. I agree that they aren't necessarily the enemy. But their thinking is problematic is it not? Im sure many of the folk on the sidelines waving flags as the Panzers rolled into Berlin had a 'set of incompatible beliefs', part of which based on Jewish control of the financial system and the world.

29. Red Sky

Of course it is (a problem that is). But then those sort of contested spaces, and I'm thinking of movements like Occupy and Anonymous as well the anti-fracking camps need to be engaged with. They're rarely a straight fight between 'rational' lefties and anti-semitic hatemongers. There's a plethora of beliefs, a mosaic a lot of which overlaps with our way of thinking. Imagine describing the WTO to someone for the first time in a muddy field without any supporting evidence to hand - wouldn't it sound like the NWO? What I like and find invigorating about spaces like that is they are at least full of people asking questions.