Annihilation - new film from Alex Garland

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by strung out, Feb 24, 2018.

1. strung out

strung out (",)

This is only getting a Netflix release in the UK, but has got some great reviews already, with Garland being pretty unhappy about it being sold to Netflix

It's based on one the novel of the same name by Jeff VanderMeer - one of my favourite books of 2014.

Trailer here:

I've got high hopes for this, I'm just sad I couldn't have seen it on the big screen. Out 12th March on Netflix.

2. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Looking forward to watching this on Netflix very soon. Can't be arsed with the cinema these days.:rolleyes:

Badgers likes this.
  3. strung out

strung out (",)

On Netflix from today!

Just watched it, and broadly speaking, I thought it was excellent. It looks gorgeous, and captures the mystery of the book sufficiently to feel like a familiar adaptation of the source material. Certain aspects were lost (for example the whole reason for the name Annihilation), but overall it was a stunningly made and beautiful film. It was very brave of Alex Garland to keep the film unchanged after some negative test screenings, but I'm glad he stuck to his guns. It's certainly flawed, but not necessarily for the obvious reasons.

Great cast too, especially as there was nary a white man's face in it.

seventh bullet and Badgers like this.
  4. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Netflix is BIGGER than the cinema.
    Hardly anyone goes to the cinema except for massive blockbusters.

5. mod

mod A modernist

I still very much enjoy visiting the cinema and very rarely go to see blockbusters. Went to see Lady Bird recently and going to see these soon...

Wookey likes this.
  6. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

just got it and will watch friday evening this week. i like to watch movies on friday or saturday evenings at home on my laptop in bed.

ice-is-forming likes this.
  7. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

Your anecdote of one doesn’t invalidate my statement.

If there was a cinema near to me that did one of those unlimited jobbies I might even be like you.

There isn’t so I just stick to movies where a big screen actually adds some kind of value. I.e. big sound or big effects that’s lost to some extent on a tv.

8. mod

mod A modernist

I'm spoiled for choice where I live. Got the wonderful Peckham Plex which charges £5 for all films. Greenwich and East Dulwich picture houses. Deptford independent cinema that shows lots of world cinema and now there's a Curzon cinema at Goldsmiths Uni.

not-bono-ever likes this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Looks alright. Trailer makes it seems like a cross between Event Horizon and Jurrassic Park. Hopefully I'm wrong on that thought...

10. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Only massive blockbusters go to the cinema?

krtek a houby likes this.
  11. InfoBurner

InfoBurner Everything Is Under Control

Not read the books. Just watched it, still digesting. Felt like a paradise with cancer. Reminded me of a novella by Greg Bear called 'Blood Music'. Jennifer Jason Leigh's character felt lost in translation and a bit superfluous.

12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

That was pretty stunning, if rather weird at the end. Can't decide if the last bits of CGI were great though or more like lawnmower man.

Still up that point it was beautiful. Watching it on my old Plasma the colours really popped. I'd love to watch it with 4k and HDR.

Definitely worth a watch.

seventh bullet likes this.
  13. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Since the advent of online streaming, cheap massive tellys & surround sound systems I can't understand why so many people still go to the cinema. I go to the cinema about once a year these days, usually only for the latest Star Wars release. Anything else gets watched on my humongous 4K HDR tv, from the comfort of my comfy sofa, with the only other person present being my partner, so long as she promises not to ask lots of annoying questions the whole way though. There's always plentiful beer in the fridge, bought at supermarket prices, there's never a queue for the loos & no one complains if we have to pause the film halfway through because the Chinese takeaway has arrived. Cinemas are pants by comparison.

Wookey and Johnny Vodka like this.
  14. Orang Utan

There's no substitute for watching a film at the cinema, even if you have home cinema. Aside from the size of the screen and the super sound, the total immersion and consideration for others means I'm never tempted to get my phone out, so I take in the film properly, with no pauses.

15. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Ridin' a Stutz Bearcat, Jim

Some of us don't want our houses taken up with eight foot TV screens.

16. cheesethief

You sound like my mother. Sadly my TV is nearer to 5 feet than 8, I would get a bigger one but I'd need to buy a bigger flat first. Either that or knock a wall through.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  17. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Mine is 50 inch. I'd like a bigger one, but my GF says no. :(

18. The Octagon

The Octagon Stop...Hammertime

:D

No joke, I'd love to have your cinema near me.

Mine are full of bellends every time.

19. Thora

Thora Differently Ethical

I enjoyed this a lot, had low expectations after Mute (unwatchable) and Cloverfield (gave up and read Wikipedia for the ending).

20. Orang Utan

Maybe if you go see blockbusters. I am usually one of the only people in the cinema. The only crowded one I went to recently was Black Panther, but no one talked while it was on

21. krtek a houby

krtek a houby Turnips - big! Swedes - small!

When we went to see Three Billboards, cinema was full.

Try harder.

22. cheesethief

Can you not negotiate? Offer to get more cushions, lots of them - cushions are like catnip to the ladies. Start the bargaining at 1 inch extra screen size for each new cushion - unless they're really gross, sparkly ones in which case it's 2 to 1.

23. seventh bullet

seventh bullet red mullet

I liked the bear-warthog creature calling out in the voice of its last victim as a way to lure more prey.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  24. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Unfortunately I find at least 50% of the audience nowadays to be distracting, inconsiderate cunts, whether it be through the use of mobile phones, talking, or making noises related to eating/ food wrapping, which kind ruins the cinema experience somehow. Rare is the day when I've been to the movies and thought afterwards 'wow, no member of the audience was a bothersome cunt today'.

D'wards and Dr. Furface like this.
  25. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

One smart woman.

26. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

That was pretty good, not sure about it being 'too brainy for the box office' as some press have reported, to explain why it went straight to Netflix.

Arrival was intelligent too, and that did ok, didn't it?

27. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Well-Known Member

Bloody good movie.

Alex Garland, writer of 28 days later, sunshine, dredd. Directs ex machina and annihilation (and allegedly dredd).

Good stuff. He also made the right decision going with netflix, it's a tough movie market these days.

28. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Space/time supply indicators near to zero

I found ex machina a bit unsatisfying TBH and his novels are a bit meh after the hype . I will watch this and hope for the best

29. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I thought he was upset about it going to netflix

D'wards likes this.
  30. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I thought it was a bit of a let down, I was hoping for something a bit more crazy. The backstory reveals gave nothing and the interwoven debriefing scenes were really unimaginative story wise.

Fez909 likes this.