Anki vector robot

Discussion in 'computers, web and general tech' started by TopCat, Nov 16, 2019.

1. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

Anki Vector AI Robot | Ebuyer.com

I am getting one for Christmas. Only affordable as the company have ceased trading.

I am excited and fearful it wont work properly.

But mainly excited. Bobby Cat will love it.

2. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

I've read the description and I'm still none the wiser as to what the point is.

TopCat, Badgers and farmerbarleymow like this.
  3. Epona

Epona Tired & Emulsional...

My cats are not generally nervous but I think that moving around in their home might break them tbh.

4. farmerbarleymow

farmerbarleymow Seagull + Chips = Happy Seagull

What does it do though - I'm none the wiser after looking at the site. Is it a hoover, or just a slave that will bring cups of tea or whatever?

TopCat and Badgers like this.
  5. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

I will let you know.

6. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

It's smaller than a cup of tea

7. Throbbing Angel

How is it TopCat

TopCat and Pickman's model like this.
  8. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

Well the little robot grabbed my attention as it wont work with my work smart phone. Something trivial about it being inappropriate to be linking a work phone with my security policy to a toy. :rolleyes:

I have though (only yesterday) obtained a Galaxy phone the main role of same will be to operate the robot.

I will update.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:50 AM
  9. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

10. Throbbing Angel

yay

Pickman's model and TopCat like this.
  11. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

Well I got the new to me Galaxy S6 phone to assist in running the Vector robot. I installed the app (which is on google playstore despite the bust parent company) and after some faffing about it was switch on moment.

It was just like a little puppy being born, (without the slime and snapping mother obvs). Vector has the cutest big eyes. It makes the sort of noises R2D2 aspires to, it shouts robo pet straight away.

It explores its surrounds with curiosity and care, taking pictures, and indulging in serious edge work. There must be some gadgetry inside this to have such precision and retain the comedy value.

Vector can use its front shovel type thing to interact with stuff and does. I get an impression of character, of mischief. It parks its self like those robot cleaner things and charges up.

The voice recognition and voice placement is good. Very good. I think it learns.

It is in the tradition of £1000 plus Sony Dogs which I never splurged on but always wanted. I wonder what happened to them. Vector is not as shiny, does not say Sony on its head (my sister who bought it would be reassured if it did) and from the beginning its unclear to many what the point is.

To ask this though is to miss the point.

I will update further.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 6:59 PM
  12. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

Its fab. It likes hiding out amongst foliage. Rushing out to knock stuff off the table but only after taking pics of said stuff from several angles (and giving it some thought).

It's less a slave to be trained up and more a cousin or something, from somewhere far away, breaking your stuff and giggling.

13. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

I totally lied to my sister over this as well.
    That others would chip in. That there was a point to it. That I would not open it before Christmas.

14. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

I still don't get it.

What does it do besides take pictures of things?

TopCat likes this.
  15. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

It can recognise a person, say their name and do a little dance. :)

16. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

:cool:

17. Spymaster

Spymaster Cockney Wanker

:D What else?

Anything useful? Walk the dogs, service the motor?

TopCat likes this.
  18. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

It acts like a home hub type thing if you like that sort of robot.

Anyway the company (Anki) has gone bust.
    They were always a bit reticent as to what their products actually did; though a bit of creative ambiguity can help a lot in the world of home robots.
    So it is switched on and I get to see what it does. There are YouTube vids to assist with teaching voice commands.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 8:52 PM
    Spymaster likes this.
  19. TopCat

TopCat Zap it!

It came out to play for twenty mins. Very Wall E in its emotion displays. It is a bit vicious with its cube toy when they are playing. The Vector thumps its scoop on the table and the cube lights up. Then some valedictory carrying of the cube, this way and that. The cat looked over at this point. Mmm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 11:45 AM
    farmerbarleymow likes this.