Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 4, 2012.

1. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

:hmm:

2. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

What is a "win" in the context of doing a building survey? If you say the building's falling down we don't pay you?

spanglechick likes this.
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yes strange that one :confused:

4. Dan U

Dan U Boompty

it's a ham fisted way of saying 'free' i think.

5. RaverDrew

RaverDrew self-banned for a bit R.I.P.

why not just say pro bono ? :confused:

Dan U likes this.
  6. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Cos he's a cunt?

el-ahrairah and RaverDrew like this.
  7. RaverDrew

8. editor

editor hiraethified

The building is now being advertised for rent as a restaurant/wine bar. Anything's got to be better than Brick Box, really.

el1.jpg

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I thought it was going to be flats?

10. editor

editor hiraethified

The rest of the building is.

11. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I see.

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Some cynics are suggesting the A3 use part of the building may suffer the same fate as the Warrior/Junction.

13. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Exactly, whose going to want to run a bar with flats on top and at the back.

Talking of art spaces, anyone been here on Brixton Rd , block336 ?

14. RaverDrew

There's no Tesco or Sainsbury round there for at least 200 yds :hmm:

15. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

16. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

I like the Coutts building. I want it for my project; the one Grand Designs will film.

Brixton Hatter and Rushy like this.
  17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Not been there - looks like it's only open until tomorrow. Interesting though.

The building is a bit random. I think the upper floors are residential but the large downstairs bit has been used as a church, an exhibition space and for council meetings. Will try to have a look tomorrow as I'd like to see inside.

18. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

A random aside: the BITC website is rubbish.

19. teuchter

I noticed a few days ago, by the way, that the building has now been painted Polite Gentrification Grey.

Hopefully the trauma induced by a few months of bright colours will now be fading away, and the Local Community can pull through.

20. boohoo

boohoo No.

I been to an exhibition there -great space for big art!

21. editor

editor hiraethified

Even by your desperate standards, describing it as 'polite gentrification grey' is laughably off-target - in fact, that's the colour the pub was when it was a working community pub.

All the locals I know are delighted to see the back of that shitty scrawl, but if you liked it so much, perhaps you could invite them in to add their own tags all over your living room walls?

22. teuchter

you mean the brief period when it was rebranded to appeal to gentrification types, complete with graffiti style lettering, before it finally closed?

[​IMG]

Previous to that it was a kind of orangey brown colour:

[​IMG]

23. editor

editor hiraethified

You really have no idea at all. Did you set foot in the place when it was painted grey?
    You really do post up some embarrassingly clueless shite, you know.

24. teuchter

Nope. I'm talking about the external appearance, and the market that that colour and style of lettering was intended to appeal to. Who actually used the place is another matter.

Was getting rid of the traditional signage, and rebranding as "bar and restaurant" in response to what the non-gentrified segment of the local community was after?

25. editor

editor hiraethified

It was fuck all to do with gentrification and if you'd got off your arse and gone in rather than commenting cluelessly from a position of ignorance you would have seen that for yourself. :facepalm:

26. teuchter

Was getting rid of the traditional signage, and rebranding as "bar and restaurant" in response to what the non-gentrified segment of the local community was after?

Onket likes this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

If you'd got off your arse and actually used the place you would have seen exactly who it was aimed at and who was using the place, but feel free to keep on talking clueless bollocks. It's rather entertaining seeing you dig yourself in deeper and deeper.

28. teuchter

As usual, refusing to answer the actual question asked, then.

I take it that as you never went into the place while it was run by Brick Box, all your opinions on this thread about its appearance and what went on inside have been "clueless bollocks".

lighterthief, salem, Rushy and 2 others like this.
  29. Onket

Onket Je suis [CONTENT REMOVED]

30. editor

editor hiraethified

Grey paint = gentrification? You really have lost the plot.