Anelka's quenelle

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by where to, Dec 29, 2013.

1. where to

where to Well-Known Member

2. equationgirl

equationgirl Respect my existence or expect my resistance

You can't patent a hand-salute :rolleyes:

Greebo likes this.
  3. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

i was well sickened when he scored too, the celebration was just rubbing it in .

Greebo likes this.
  4. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

What a fucking idiot

Greebo likes this.
  5. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

fuh quenelle

also thought he was a wrong un since his turbulent days at arsenal but never thought he was that way inclined

Badgers, Greebo, imposs1904 and 5 others like this.
  6. Casually Red

Casually Red tomorrow belongs to me

Its just as well the west ham fans didnt know what it meant, thered have been a riot .

7. brogdale

brogdale Coming to terms with late onset Anarchism

Have to admit I hadn't heard of it till now.

Mirror article seemed to make sense though.

muscovyduck and MellySingsDoom like this.
  8. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Anelka the silly sod tweeted this picture of Obama, Jay Z, Beyonce and some other bloke supposedly doing the quenelle at an Obama fund raiser. Turns out "Jay-Z, Beyonce, President Barack Obama and a supporter [were] brushing the dirt off their shoulders [in] an ode to one of Jay-Z’s hit songs…"

Anelka needs to step back from twitter. He's not doing himself any favours.

Greebo, frogwoman, Corax and 2 others like this.
  9. Super rich footballer in right winger schock

Nigel, muscovyduck, cesare and 4 others like this.
  10. MellySingsDoom

MellySingsDoom Decimated by the shrapnel of his rhetoric

Same here for me. Anelka seems to be either a blundering idiot at best, or anti-Jewish at worst.

Here's another footballer making the same gesture:

[​IMG]

"Earlier in 2013 Montpellier full-back Mathieu Deplagne celebrated a goal against Sochaux by putting his hand to his opposite shoulder.
    The gesture was not widely known at the time and Deplagne was not punished."

e2a: Here's some futher info on la quenelle: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/quenelle-france-racist?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_36858952

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  11. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

12. LiamO

LiamO Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to something that shows the point this 'comedian' is actually trying to make rather than the myriad of pieces showing what various interest groups have decided he is trying to make?

13. where to

i heard something before the game about him just playing out his career now, i think his coach was denying this, not sure. if there's anything to this, i wonder whether he's consciously trying to bring forward his retirement (via a ban) or just letting rip with his views if he thinks he's on the final straight.

14. DexterTCN

DexterTCN Official Twitter Liaison Officer

I have to agree.

This seems a load of shit...wtf is a reverse nazi salute? Sounds like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever more than what Anelka did. You can't just decide to make up a new nazi salute...only nazis can do that...and sure as fuck Anelka isn't one of them.

15. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Oh dear. :facepalm:

This article gives a bit more information on the connotations of the gesture, along with some background on Dieudonné. After reading that, do you still want to hear his excuses?

16. Lemon Eddy

Lemon Eddy Disliked by dwyer

Here's his poster. You work it out:

[​IMG]

17. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

Fucking hell, is this wilful ignorance? Anelka said it was in tribute this this guy, the guy who invented it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieudonné_M'bala_M'bala

A man with links across the French far-right whose antisemitism is clear - not just clear, absolutely unashamed.

Do a quick search for the quenelle being performed and you can find perhaps hundreds of examples of people doing it outside concentration camps, memorials, etc.

This stuff isn't ambiguous, these guys revel in it.

18. DexterTCN

As a reasonable human being I require a little more to convince me that Anelka...a black Muslim...is a nazi.

19. The Boy

The Boy danny la rouge is probably wrong.

The allegation isn't that Anelka is a nazi, it's that he's anti-semitic. Being a black muslim is hardly a defence against the charge.

20. FridgeMagnet

FridgeMagnet Administrator

Maybe it was just accidental. The weather blew his hands in that position. Maybe he thought it was actually anti-discrimination for no reason whatsoever because it would be rubbish.

For fuck's sake.

21. comrade spurski

comrade spurski Well-Known Member

you don't need to be a nazi to be anti jewish though

22. J Ed

J Ed Follow Back Pro Expropriation

As a reasonable human being then obviously you understand that you don't need to be a blood and soil neo-Nazi to hate Jews and that some neo-Nazis and anti-Semitic Muslims have had some time for each other.

isvicthere?, manny-p, cesare and 5 others like this.
  23. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

:D

frogwoman, Wilf and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  24. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

You were the first one the use the term 'Nazi' in this thread mate, nobody else has been calling him that. Now tell us, how do you think the charge of being an antisemite holds up?

25. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I hope you had an awful Christmas Dexter.

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  26. goldenecitrone

goldenecitrone post tenebras lux

He's mates with the French equivalent of Bernard Manning. Stormtrooper in a teacup. Great goals.

27. where to

you can't agee with a question.

frogwoman and Spanky Longhorn like this.
  28. malatesta32

malatesta32 Not Serb. No, Really!

overpaid eejit does eejit thing shock. the guy who supports him, the half cameroonian comedian is also connected as a godparent to le pen. confused?

29. DexterTCN

No, the term is used in the link in the OP, mate.

30. caleb

caleb Well-Known Member

It's not, or at least not anymore. And if it was, it says a lot about where you are coming from that it's the first thing you decided to pick up on and quibble with "WELL HOW CAN A BLACK MUSLIM BE AN NAZI GUYS!?!!>!". Didn't you think to have a read of the article first to find out, instead of coming on here asking fucking dumb questions?

Now come on, how do you think the charge of antisemite holds up?

fogbat and el-ahrairah like this.