Android OS: list your killer apps

Discussion in 'mobiles, tablets and wearable tech' started by editor, May 18, 2009.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

That's essentially what Friendly is, but in a slightly more, err, friendly package.

hiccup likes this.
  2. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Keep is indispensable. If you snap pictures of documents, click them and select "grab image text" from the three - dot menu. Then sit back and gawp

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  3. Fingers

Fingers From Tuscany SE22

Blimey, just tried that. Amazing!

4. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

I know! And additionally, click the microphone to take an audio note, and as soon as you are finished not only is the Audio note available, but so is the text transcript.

Dom Traynor and Throbbing Angel like this.
  5. kropotkin

kropotkin libcom

Aaaaand, the tech that does this visual processing is happening anyway, so you can just search for words in the image in the search box. I take photos of documents and letters regularly and can search for them by looking for "hsbc" or "insurance"

Badgers likes this.
  6. Dom Traynor

Dom Traynor Tino Pai

Google Keep is literally the best app ever I now use it for everything from shopping lists to casework at work, to jotting down creative ideas and well everything.

Badgers likes this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

I love it too!

And this is so bloody clever:

[​IMG]

Cerberus v3.5 adds 'fake shutdown' feature to fool phone thieves

DexterTCN, Dom Traynor and Maggot like this.
  8. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

Waze was such a great sat nav app, it was a pleasure to use. But recently it keeps freezing, not responding, giving error messages, I'm tempted to look elsewhere. Anyone else having problems? Any other good sat nav apps out there?

9. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Maybe a silly question, but what's wrong with Google maps? It what I use all the time.

10. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

waze has loads more info about accidents, queues, delays. Live user added data.

Google own it anyway...

UnderAnOpenSky and Maggot like this.
  11. UnderAnOpenSky

Ah, okay. Does it get all same information that maps does then?

12. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

Ironically I was at an event at Google HQ the other day and they were asking us to turn off our phones. I was like no way, Keep is THE way I take notes during presentations now because you can take photos of the slides as well as jotting things down. Then when you get back to the office or wherever you can just upload it to Google docs.

I watched a video on Youtube of all the things Keep can do and it was worth it because it can do lots of things I didn't know about.

Dom Traynor and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  13. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

It looks the same... Different colours, mind.

14. UnderAnOpenSky

Ok. I'll have another play with it if it's got more data. Don't get why google own two different mapping apps.

15. Throbbing Angel

Throbbing Angel Gabba Gabba-pentin

Because they can I suppose. I'm assuming they bought up a competitor that was innovating - 's'usually the way innit.

I might give Waze another go now I have a better phone. It was always flaky on my previous phones.

Have you tried Here maps from Nokia
    Oh - it's called Here WeGo now :rolleyes:
    HERE WeGo - Offline Maps & GPS – Android Apps on Google Play

16. editor

editor hiraethified

Their info is waaaay out of date. It's got shops and businesses listed in my 'hood that have been closed for years.

17. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

My other recent discovery is Wunderground, which I now use all the time.

18. Throbbing Angel

Good to know, cheers.

Google,driving customer choice there.

19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. dervish

dervish if you flibble when you wibble, don't wobble

Badgers likes this.
  21. editor

editor hiraethified

22. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

Bloody Waze kept notifying me of things I didn't want to know so I turned off the notifications, then I moved jobs and didn't need it so I deleted it. Last week I got a notification again!!

Anyway, Copilot is a damn good satnav app, it allowed me to leave Waze behind.

mango5 likes this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

Hitlist is a bloody brilliant travel app. It's still in beta but in the Play Store.

24. Throbbing Angel

is MightyText still the go to for texting from your PC?

I need summat that will work with my Chromebook and S7 edge

Dom Traynor and Badgers like this.
  25. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

I've always used PushBullet, personally. A bit more multipurpose than just SMS.

Throbbing Angel and salem like this.
  26. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Interesting to see this post pop up as I was chatting to someone about 'app fatigue' the other day and apparently people have stopped downloading new apps and are fairly frozen with the apps they use. I'm pretty much in that boat myself and this thread had been dead for a year.

Anyone got any new killer apps downloaded in the past year?

Dom Traynor and RubyToogood like this.
  27. Throbbing Angel

Surely that's age related?

But, pretty much the same here.

28. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

I am much the same. Tend to add/delete games from time to time but not much else.

Pickman's model likes this.
  29. Throbbing Angel

I'll have a look-cheers

30. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

You can just use Google's Messages app to text from your PC, why download another app?