...and Yemen!

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by chilango, Jan 27, 2011.

1. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

upload_2017-11-13_15-53-47.png

frogwoman and Poi E like this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

4. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

A crumb of good news.

5. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

6. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

fucking bastard saudis. hate the country with a passion. :mad:

7. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

8. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

9. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Just received this: Stop Arming Saudi Arabia

"The Saudi attacks are only getting worse: there were more air strikes on Yemen in the first half of 2017 than the whole of 2016"

10. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  11. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

Cant say I am that surprised, Saleh being notoriously slippery and a survivor whose luck is pretty resistant to running out. And it really deserves to run out on him one day.

12. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

No I'm not surprised either, and yes his luck is long past overdue to run out.

13. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

14. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Reports now appearing on Twitter that Saleh is dead, killed in fighting with Houthis.

15. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

16. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Just seen a video, looks genuine.

17. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

I've now seen screenshots of someone with a strong resemblance to Sahel with a chunk of his head missing. Probably from the video you are referring to?

18. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Most probably, BBC along with other major news outlets running with the story he's dead now.

video here

also Al Jazeera backstory into how the break between Saleh and the Houthis came about.

Seems that the Saudis are/were looking for an exit strategy.

How did Yemen's Houthi-Saleh alliance collapse?

elbows likes this.
  19. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

That video.

teqniq likes this.
  20. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Ah thanks, didn't think of using a spoiler.

21. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

One suggestion is that he wasn't killed in the bombing, but rather whilst fleeing the capital. No idea if its true but given that the video of his body appears to be from a location that is not built up, I will link to the tweet anyway.

22. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

And another one with helpful map and ID card.

23. hipipol

hipipol Peckham Wry

J Ed likes this.
  24. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

lol at the desperate rumours that Saudi-backed forces were going to come to his aid.

Anyway, this analysis repeatedly asks us to believe that although Saleh was a slippery fucker who was involved in causing this chaos, things must surely become worse now that this strong dealmaker is deceased.

Yemen's future looks grim after Saleh's killing

Personally I doubt I shall mourn the loss of any Saleh-brokered solutions to the numerous woes of Yemen.

25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

upload_2017-12-5_11-7-59.png

elbows likes this.
  26. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

There was certainly plenty of dodgy sentiments on display in the immediate aftermath of his death, hence my post highlighting Chatham house analysis that things will be worse without his deal-making.

The Guardian obituary did manage to touch on some of his dodgy antics like the 'Al Qaeda ambivalence' but not the Saddam stuff or much of the bloody dealing with opponents.

Ali Abdullah Saleh obituary

Fun detail:

27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

As you pair have been following this more closely than I would you care to venure an opinion on what this means for the ongoing conflict? Longer or shorter? (I realise these are simplistic questions but as I say, I've not looked beyon main stream newspaper articles). ta.

28. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Opinion on Twitter seems to suggest a prolongation of the fighting and indeed some residents of Sana'a have reported having to leave their homes because of the streetfighting which is the first time this has happened during the conflict. There was also news of a renewed intensity of bombing by the coalition on the news of Saleh's death. Whether or not you believe that Saleh could have been a potential deal maker is neither here nor there now. Houthis have reportedly rounded up tribal leaders who were loyal to Saleh presumably for leverage purposes. One thing that people here could do to help if they've got a few bob to spare is support the action by CAAT who are taking the UK government to court over our continued supply of weaponry and personnel to the Saudis. We are by far and away the largest supplier of both.

Stop Arming Saudi Arabia

29. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

An update on the present situation from the perspective of aid organisations

DotCommunist likes this.
  30. elbows

elbows WoeTimer

What teqniq said. I would add that events prior to Salehs death did give credence to the idea that the Saudis are looking for an exit. I can't add much more until we find out what, if anything, remains of Salehs political party & fighting forces. The UAE still have Salehs most prominent son, who they had as a backup plan in case anything happened to Saleh, but Im not sure how much use he is if the Houthis retain control of the capital and/or if Salehs network of patronage and corruption is permanently smashed.

DotCommunist and teqniq like this.