1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...and Yemen!

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by chilango, Jan 27, 2011.

1. mather

mather Well-Known Member

2. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I pretty much took this decision as the establishment closing ranks, again.

mather likes this.
  3. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Agreed, the decision was not unexpected. Hopefully, it has fired a warning shot at HMG, but you have to hope, or you are left with nothing.

4. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

5. CrabbedOne

CrabbedOne Walking sideways snippily

On TSG IntelBrief: Cholera and Famine in Yemen
    For the Saudis Yemen is largely about face and who get their crown next. The UAE is a lot more pragmatic. A large factor in this war has been the position of the Saleh clan. The bunch of thieves most to blame for Yemen's instability. I would not rule out them stitching up their old enemy the Houthis and making a deal to rule the North again.

6. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

7. CrabbedOne

From Chatham House Yemen and the business of war
    As in some areas in Syria faction leaders often benefiting from the war economy with signs of economic collaboration between rival sides. Yemenis starve while these guys get wealthy.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  8. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

9. CrabbedOne

10. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

11. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

from the link in the tweet

Stop Arming Saudi

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    gawkrodger and Poi E like this.
  12. yield

yield zero

13. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

"The huge rise is largely down to a rise in orders from Saudi Arabia, but many other countries with controversial human rights records – including Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Venezuela and China – have also been major buyers."

British arms sales to repressive regimes soar to £5bn since election

Aren't we a nice, kind country. We may not have capital punishment, torture Etc. but we sure as hell know how to help others inflict pain, breach human rights and be total bastards. :facepalm:

14. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I think the protests at DSEI this year have been the biggest so far

CNT36 and hash tag like this.
  15. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

hash tag likes this.
  16. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

17. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I just makes me so sad. Why do people need all these arms? Why do they do these horrible things? Whats the point? How do they live with themselves/sleep at night?
    two viewpoints... More than 100 people arrested at world’s biggest arms fair in London

More than 100 people arrested over London arms fair protests

"According to a parliamentary question tabled by Caroline Lucas, the co-leader of the Green party and MP for Brighton Pavilion, the government’s Defence and Security Organisation has invited representatives of Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Vietnam."

"Five government ministers are due to speak, including keynote addresses from Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, and Michael Fallon, the defence secretary. Exhibitors include representatives of the world’s 10 biggest arms companies."

"Jeremy Corbyn issued a renewed call on Monday to halt UK arms sales to Saudi Arabia. The Labour leader said Britain was exporting far too many arms to countries that abused human rights and the time had come to do something about it"

18. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

The two largest parties that dominate the U.K. want us to retain weapons of mass destruction. Neither of them will really have much compunction in carrying on the weapons trade.

19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I am sure Corbyn, if allowed and had sufficient support, would wipe out the arms trade.
    I am confident he does not like the idea of us selling this stuff to questionable regimes (nor possibly anyone else).

20. Poi E

Poi E Pessimism: a valuable protection against quackery.

You may be right. Hell of a battle.

hash tag likes this.
  21. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

22. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Saudi Arabia 'threatens countries' that back UN probe into Yemen civilian deaths

23. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

24. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

25. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

26. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Saudi are a nice country, honest, so please don't criticise them pleads our war monger defence secretary, Michael Fallon, previosly on record for saying they are only trying to defend themselves. If we are nice to them and cosy up with them they will buy more planes, more guns, more training

Michael Fallon: criticising Saudi Arabia 'not helpful' for UK arms sales

27. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    J Ed, Chilli.s, Mordi and 2 others like this.
  28. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

29. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I see Fallon has fallen on his sword. No doubt we will get a Saudi friendly warmonger to replace him.

30. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered