1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And next, Syria?

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by Idris2002, Feb 18, 2011.

1. copliker

copliker ...

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I hear the site owner/starter was killed yesterday. Known to some here.

3. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

4. HoratioCuthbert

HoratioCuthbert The left is a threat to organic WC solidarity

5. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

6. butchersapron

Lot of these 'SAA' generals dropping dead eh?

Riklet likes this.
  7. extra dry

extra dry Happy to be here

Putin and Basher claim victory over terrior, the whole region is as safe as clown in a sewer.

8. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

From The Lancet

Patterns of civilian and child deaths due to war-related violence in Syria: a comparative analysis from the Violation Documentation Center dataset, 2011–16

9. LynnDoyleCooper

LynnDoyleCooper It's a complicated world innit.

Deleted, already posted on a more relevant Beeley thread.

10. butchersapron

They've now formed a wider group and released this statement of founding principles.

11. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

12. Pickman's model

Pickman's model amid a crowd of stars

13. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Russia says DIY drones that attacked its base in Syria came from a rebel village

15. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Could this be the next Aleppo? - CNN Video

16. butchersapron

Just the few months late with this aren't they? Weeks of ariel bombardment and this is new a possible future?

17. DownwardDog

DownwardDog Riding a Brompton with a power meter.

Fullbacks are still dropping iron bombs on Idlib.

18. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I know. But what's happened is that some of the extremist AQ-affiliated militias such as HTS have guaranteed the safety of western journalists in an effort to publicise the plight of civilians in a so-called de-escalation zone.

19. butchersapron

Pathetic isn't it - there's been actual journalists who've been reporting from within the sieges and bombardments - Liz Sly was open mouthed in astonishment at one report over the weekend, at what actual journalism looks like - but i don't think they fit the profile these news services want.

teqniq likes this.
  20. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

21. RainbowTown

RainbowTown Well-Known Member

...........and the slaughter and the deaths and the despair goes on and on and on and on...............

The perfect example of what Hell on Earth is truly like. And this, in the year of 2018.

22. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

So a Russian plane was shot down over Idlib in the last couple of days. The pilot allegedly died by detonating a grenade rather than be captured by the rebel forces. By way of retaliation there has been at least one chlorine gas attack, presumably by regime forces and deliberate targeting of medical facilities by the Russian air force.

upload_2018-2-5_9-27-34.png

23. DownwardDog

Live grenade in the cockpit doesn't pass the sanity test. The Frogfoot was Blue 6 from 368 ShAP based in Sevastapol. Shootdown was by a Chinese FN-6 MANPAD.

LynnDoyleCooper and teqniq like this.
  24. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Fair enough. That's why I said 'allegedly' shot by rebels then.

25. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

There's quite a lot of imagery of Russian aircrew carrying grenades as when they get in/get out of their aircraft - I suppose that under normal circumstances it doesn't pass the sanity test, but IS put a captured Jordanian pilot in a steel cage and burnt him alive, live on Facebook, so 'normal' probably doesn't apply in Syria.

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the Russian Air Force weren't overly keen on their very expensive aircraft being put at significant risk by grenades being carried by people with pretty much no experience of using/carrying them, but that commands on the subject from people in starched uniforms in Moscow or Sevastopol don't carry much weight...

likesfish, LynnDoyleCooper and teqniq like this.
  26. DownwardDog

I wasn't doubting that it happened, just commenting on the wisdom of it!

On Operation Northern Watch we used to get 14 gold sovereigns and a "ghoolie chit" with which we were to bargain for our lives. The ghoolie chit was a polylingual document that gave bland assurances to the effect that Her Britannic Majesty's government would shower undefined favour on the bearer should he return it with a downed airman who still had his balls and head attached.

27. kebabking

kebabking Unfettered ambition

Yeah, I had one in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I'm assuming that Russian aircrew are choosing grenades, despite all their attendant dangers, because they see them as being easier to use post crash/ejection than a pistol.

It's interesting.

LynnDoyleCooper likes this.
  28. Yossarian

Yossarian free shrugs

"You can kill me now and get 14 gold sovereigns plus whatever the local bounty is - or transport an injured enemy airman to the frontline and receive a mystery prize from the Queen!"

NoXion, LynnDoyleCooper and kebabking like this.
  29. DownwardDog

Navigators got a book of stamps instead of the gold.

30. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Not that the UN has been of any use so far

UN outrage at Syrian suffering: ‘We can no longer stay silent’

Women Now center destroyed in the midst of fierce bombing of civilian areas - Women Now for Development