1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancient art and art from antiquity and cultural treasures from the past

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by ringo, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

You've thought about this in quite a bit of detail :)

2. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

I have. Two other ideas:

Tomb of a famed castratii (not those ones)

Tomb of a famed castrator from a time when such a role was venerated for...erm...ritual?

any grave goods in there to indicate status, role?

ringo likes this.
  3. ringo

I love them too, loads of Japanese stuff I'd like to put up here.

The Tale of Genji
    [​IMG]
    Kameido Shrine's Drum Bridge (2003) -- Hiroshi Yoshida's "Kameido" (1927)

[​IMG]

4. ringo

ohmyliver likes this.
  5. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

I went to an exhibit of Japanese textiles recently. They featured a type of patchwork called Boro that was literally rags sewn together in several layers. It was then quilted and darned to within an inch of its life. It was a mark of poverty, but it was still amazing what could be done with so little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plumdaff, clicker, RoyReed and 2 others like this.
  6. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

7. ringo

DotCommunist likes this.
  8. ringo

I like those, must get down to Tudeley :thumbs:

ohmyliver likes this.
  9. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

The Cave of Forgotten Dreams film is absolutely awesome - I watched it on a home DVD and sort of regretted it, it would be an even better experience if you see it in 3D and/or IMAX. Cave art is normally not my thing - the insurmountable difficulties of interpretation/understanding mean there's not much more I can do but gawp and enjoy, because as soon as I start thinking anything more complex about it, I know it can only ever be pure speculation - but this film gave me the shivers, not just for the art itself but for the atmosphere it conjures. Plus it's got radioactive crocodiles, so can't be all bad.

ringo likes this.
  10. ohmyliver

ohmyliver poppin' like a cork

"the insurmountable difficulties of interpretation/understanding mean there's not much more I can do but gawp and enjoy" is why I love cave painting, and why when I created art I was so fascinated by it.

*eta* I'll hold off until I've exausted attempts to get the wrong region 3d blu ray to work on the wife's bluray drive on her workstation

11. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I love Japanese stuff too, especially woodblock prints. I've got two prints by Toshi Yoshida (Hiroshi's son). One's of the same bridge. The style is very similar.

DS1_1781.jpg

DS1_1785.jpg

12. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

13. hot air baboon

hot air baboon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Zaraysk bison - 20,000 years old

14. Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes Well-Known Member

Just watching the last episode of the BBC4 Greek art show on the iplayer, realised it's missing something, that's the effect Greek art had on the middle east and India, it did diffuse eastwards after Alexanders conquests

Gandhara Buddha

[​IMG]

Yakshi

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Yuwipi Woman and ringo like this.
  15. weepiper

weepiper Jock under the bed

Rosslyn Chapel, 15th century

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

weltweit, moon, clicker and 3 others like this.
  16. Artaxerxes

17. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

The mention of China above reminded me of the amazing Bronze Age culture found at Sanxingdui:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MooChild

MooChild Made of Straw

Yuwipi Woman likes this.
  19. ringo

Gold lunula and disks, Ireland
    [​IMG]
    By hammering gold into thin sheets and then forming it into objects such as sun disks, beads, oval plaques, and lunulas, or crescent-shaped neck ornaments decorated with geometric motifs, they created what were to become the most iconic gold artifacts of the early Irish Bronze Age (2200–1800 B.C.). Some 100 lunulas have been discovered by archaeologists, with more than 80 from Ireland alone, and much more early Bronze Age gold has been unearthed in Ireland than in nearby countries. Experts theorized, until recently, that Ireland was not only a center of gold production, but also, perhaps, a source of its unprocessed ore.

20. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

It's functional rather than artistic but I loved this Sumerian star-map from 3000BC Nineveh

[​IMG]

quimcunx, moon, clicker and 5 others like this.
  21. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

22. JimW

JimW 支那暗杀团

Didn't realise they dentists in Assyria.

Manter and wayward bob like this.
  23. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

sardines at the v&a :)

[​IMG]

moon, clicker and ringo like this.
  24. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

A few of my faves
    Makonde mask and Ekoi head dress
    [​IMG]
    A Votive Hand of Sabazius
    [​IMG]
    The Dacre Beasts
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
    weltweit and ringo like this.
  25. Sirena

clicker, JimW, ringo and 1 other person like this.
  26. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Every man and every woman is a star

capture.gif

woman with snakes and cat on head

27. ringo

28. Artaxerxes

I'll be going to that Celtic exhibition, its always bugged me how little there is on show compared to Roman/Egyptian stuff.

Tattoos from the Ice Maiden

[​IMG]

Yuwipi Woman and ringo like this.
  29. Sirena

[​IMG]

4th c BC Hellenistic Greek gold Nike earrings.

trabuquera, clicker and ringo like this.
  30. ringo

Gold wreath unearthed in Cyprus
    [​IMG]
    ANKARA, TURKEY—A tomb complex containing three burial chambers and multiple burials has been excavated near the ancient city of Soloi in northern Cyprus. Two burial chambers in the 2,400-year-old complex were intact and contained human remains, a collection of imported symposium drinking vessels, jewelry, figurines, and weapons, while the third had been looted and was empty. One of the burial chambers also held an ivy wreath fashioned from gold that resembles wreaths usually found in Macedonian tombs. “This tomb complex surely proves that Soloi was in direct relationship with Athens, who was the naval power of the period. Soloi was supplying Athens with its rich timber and copper sources, and in return, was obtaining luxurious goods such as symposium vessels,” Hazar Kaba of Ankara University told Live Science. “A DNA project is also running on the bones to identify the degree of kinship between the deceased,” he added.

bubblesmcgrath likes this.