1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ancient art and art from antiquity and cultural treasures from the past

Discussion in 'photography, graphics & art' started by ringo, Apr 16, 2015.

1. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Much as I love paintings by the old masters and all sorts of other art I'm always drawn back to the ancients.

The Ancient Greeks were pretty incredible, good programme on BBC4 last night reminded me of some lovely stuff, and next week's episode features my favourite piece of art in the world, The Laucoon.

[​IMG]

I first saw it when went to the Vatican a few years ago and it nearly knocked me off my feet. It's incredible, truly awe inspiring.

Wiki bit:

The statue of Laocoön and His Sons (Italian: Gruppo del Laocoonte), also called the Laocoön Group, has been one of the most famous ancient sculptures ever since it was excavated in Rome in 1506 and placed on public display in the Vatican,[2] where it remains. Exceptionally, it is very likely to be the same object as a statue praised in the highest terms by the main Roman writer on art, Pliny the Elder.[3] The figures are near life-size and the group is a little over 2 m (6 ft 7 in) in height, showing the Trojan priest Laocoön and his sons Antiphantes and Thymbraeus being attacked by sea serpents.[1]

The group has been "the prototypical icon of human agony" in Western art,[4] and unlike the agony often depicted in Christian art showing the Passion of Jesus and martyrs, this suffering has no redemptive power or reward.[5] The suffering is shown through the contorted expressions of the faces (Charles Darwin pointed out that Laocoön's bulging eyebrows are physiologically impossible), which are matched by the struggling bodies, especially that of Laocoön himself, with every part of his body straining.[6]

Pliny attributes the work, then in the palace of Emperor Titus, to three Greek sculptors from the island of Rhodes: Agesander, Athenodoros and Polydorus, but does not give a date or patron. In style it is considered "one of the finest examples of the Hellenistic baroque" and certainly in the Greek tradition,[7] but it is not known whether it is an original work or a copy of an earlier sculpture, probably in bronze, or made for a Greek or Roman commission. The view that it is an original work of the 2nd century BC now has few if any supporters, although many still see it as a copy of such a work made in the early Imperial period, probably of a bronze original.[8] Others see it as probably an original work of the later period, continuing to use the Pergamese style of some two centuries earlier. In either case, it was probably commissioned for the home of a wealthy Roman, possibly of the Imperial family. Various dates have been suggested for the statue, ranging from about 200 BC to the 70s AD,[9] though "a Julio-Claudian date [between 27 BC and 68 AD] ... is now preferred".[10]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  2. ringo

These two pieces of gold jewelry were found in the tomb of Phillip Of Macedon, and probably belonged to his wife Meda. Greek, 4th Century BC.

Golden Diadem:

golden-myrtle-wreath-of-queen-meda.jpg

Golden Myrtle Wreath:

golden wreath diadem from the tomb of a woman, possibly a wife of Phillip II of Macedon.jpg

Ponyutd, stuff_it, two sheds and 11 others like this.
  3. MooChild

MooChild Made of Straw

They are awesome!

ringo likes this.
  4. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

Never made the Vatican but the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay are both excellent.

ringo likes this.
  5. ringo

I might have to change the thread title, or just ignore it slightly to include all art from antiquity, 'cos there's loads I'd like to include right up to the Renaissance/Baroque period from around the world.

6. ringo

I love that my kids enjoy going to the British Museum almost as much as I do. We always go and look at the horses from the Parthenon frieze. Personally I'd like them to be returned to Greece now and put back into context with the Parthenon.

[​IMG]

idumea, clicker and Chilli.s like this.
  7. ringo

My youngest always demands to go and see the Assyrian lion hunt. 7th Century BC.

[​IMG]

The destruction of the ancient Assyrian city of Nimrud by ISIS is one of the saddest and maddening things I've ever seen.

idumea, bubblesmcgrath and Chilli.s like this.
  8. ringo

One day I'll make it to Jingdezhen, the home of Chinese porcelain. Got a bit of a thing for almost all of it, particularly blue and white ware.

For my money they reached their peak of perfection in the Qing Dynasty, AD 1723-35. These moon flasks with birds and cherry blossom are my favourites from the Percival David Collection.

[​IMG]

bubblesmcgrath and MooChild like this.
  9. ringo

Titian was exceptional at painting old men :cool:

Portrait of an Old Man (Pietro Cardinal Bembo) 1546

[​IMG]

10. Sirena

Sirena Don't monkey with the buzzsaw

Here's a thing of beauty, from around 2500 bc, one of a pair found in Southern Iraq..

[​IMG]

Ponyutd, stuff_it, moon and 3 others like this.
  11. wayward bob

wayward bob i ate all your bees

deer having a crap :cool:

[​IMG]

MooChild, Sirena and ringo like this.
  12. wayward bob

pazyryk tattoo

[​IMG]

Plumdaff, Belushi and ringo like this.
  13. ringo

Closer to home, how about this Ango-Saxon jewelry.

Cambridge, 7th Century:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sutton Hoo, 7th Century:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ponyutd, moon, Prince Rhyus and 7 others like this.
  14. ringo

I love that, must look great as a tattoo.

15. wayward bob

[​IMG]
    lascaux caves. i seem to remember they're painted thousands of years apart back>front :cool:

16. wayward bob

picked the wrong pieces :mad: the cloisonné enamel is unparalleled ever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ponyutd, stuff_it, Plumdaff and 3 others like this.
  17. wayward bob

it does :)

18. ringo

Tsukioka Yoshitoshi ; 30 April 1839 – 9 June 1892. Considered the last great Japanese wood block artist.

Saigo Takamori attacking the Dragon Palace, detailed in sprinkled mica and white pigment, triptych, 1877:
    [​IMG]

Shinpūren Rebellion:
    [​IMG]

stuff_it, idumea and Chilli.s like this.
  19. ringo

Excellent :D:thumbs:

20. ringo

Yours? Pic?

ETA: OH, they've not caught your best side :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Biddlybee

Biddlybee making knots with sticks

:) who are/were the Pazyryk?

22. wayward bob

i've done a little enamelling. you build up the wires then sprinkle coloured/powdered glass in the spaces and fire. the boars aren't glass enamel they're individually carved garnets. hard. fucking. core :cool:

Sweet FA and ringo like this.
  23. wayward bob

it looks like that ^ :)

24. wayward bob

heh edit :D no, i was a little short on sleep :oops:

ringo likes this.
  25. ringo

26. wayward bob

iron age i think - siberia, permafrost, horses, that's about all i remember :oops: except the woman with that/my tattoo had dyed red hair and thigh-high felt boots :D

27. DotCommunist

DotCommunist my world is fire and blood

[​IMG]

A page from the Book of Kells. Written on vellum, illuminated with the rarest of things, gold, lapis lazuli derived ink from the other end of the silk road. Originally came with a fantastic jeweled cover but someone (I'm looking at you norway) you look guilty' vanished it into the mists of time after the sack of the monastry it was kept at. Kells. Then they found the manuscript itself some centuries later stashed in a church

Yetman, Plumdaff, Quartz and 7 others like this.
  28. wayward bob

my heart is in the bronze age :D

29. ringo

I finally managed to get hold of a picture of the La Tene French Iron Age horse pot I found in 1995.

My_Le_Patural_Horse_Vase.jpg

Here are some more complete examples:
    auvergne_vase_small.jpg vase-peint-Gergovie_small.jpg

30. BandWagon

BandWagon Life's a bitch and then you die...

Great thread. :thumbs: