Anarchist split at London "movement" cafe

Discussion in 'UK politics, current affairs and news' started by sihhi, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sihhi

sihhi John 3:30

The anarchists have split to add to the SWP and CWI

Perhaps the co-op workers should have organised themselves into Food and Leisure Section of the GMB? What does the IWW say?
    The co-op caterers and waiters won't be receiving severance money.
    Are any employment experts on hand to advise these people of how to bring a case of constructive dismissal?

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/03/447028.html and follow the comments:

Discussion from an animal rights perspective here
    http://pogocafe.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/the-end-as-we-know-it/#comments

2. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

I'm just amazed that a bunch of so-called anarchists could be so snobby that they had a hissy fit just because they found a load of Somerfield food in the freezer. I know it's not Waiterose, but overreacting a little bit maybe?

3. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Somerfield is just down the road. Tesco a 100 yards further. There's not a Waitrose for miles.

4. the button

the button out on the kocker

Meat put in a vegan fridge by the goverment. :mad:

(According to one of the comments, anyway :D).

5. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

Godwinstastic :D

6. Citizen66

Citizen66 splash the cistern

Seems a bit odd to compare someone being comfortable with a few packs of bacon in the fridge as being comfortable with a human corpse being there. I understand some vegan's feelings on meat but it isn't cannibalism.

7. the button

Anarchists keeping human body parts in the fridge? That would never happen.

8. audiotech

audiotech wav, aiff, mp3, ogg, flac

You're always having a 'hissy fit' on here. American's one time, who it turned out weren't. Then you had another and bid us all "adios", but I see you're still here. :rolleyes:

9. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

:D

10. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

Whoeever said that wants putting in a sack and shaking about

11. 5t3IIa

5t3IIa Registered User

They say they knew people would be uncomfortable with meat being in the cafe fridge so they moved it then didn't bother to take it away as planned as too lazy then said 'No' when asked if it made them uncomfortable...

12. the button

Now we see the violence inherent in the system. :(

13. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

:D

14. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

I think it's more accurate to describe the responses to my opinions that people disagree with as hissy fits. Similar to what you're doing now. However, where I will happily admit to having a hissy fit is seeing such a criminal misuse of apostrophes...(altho I wouldn't expect someone like you with such an obvious lack of a sense of humour to see the funny side to that)

15. Citizen66

This is why communism never works.

16. Geri

Geri wasn't born to follow

What has anarchism got to do with veganism?

17. imposs1904

imposs1904 Thread Killa'

Corrected it for you. :D

18. Citizen66

Well nothing until they set up a vegan not-for-profit cafe on a co-op basis. Personally I'd have thought the co-op should be more important than their eating principles. Although I am a meat eater so probably don't understand.

Easy now. :p

19. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

Well I don't blame them, I mean running a cafe is much harder than instituting an anarchist society within our lifetimes, so there were bound to be some challenging issues to flounce away from.

20. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

If a pack of bacon is a 'challenge'... then I'd hate to think what they'd do if by some strange coincidence they ended up running the country.

Thank God for capitalism. It means these muppets never will.

21. CyberRose

CyberRose أرفع الشفرات

Declare war on Denmark?

22. Citizen66

How would an anarchist co-op 'run the country' ..?

You're projecting current power structures on to something that operates entirely differently.

23. bi0boy

bi0boy Power User

I think this incident demonstartes the difficulties that an anarchist society would face in avoiding it's organisational structures being sequestrated by animal rights loonies.

Clearly, surplus bacon would need to be stored in orbit.

24. rioted

rioted redundant

You really haven't got a clue. Why bother to comment, then?

25. taffboy gwyrdd

taffboy gwyrdd Embrace the confusion!

Anarchism operates from high principles. Veganism from higher ones.

26. Citizen66

I don't see how you can run a co-op in such an elitist manner. They clearly see their vegan principles as more important than maintaining the co-op. Communism should be inclusive and be prepared to accomodate all. Otherwise it's just a pretentious wank circle.

27. trevhagl

trevhagl Famous author , company CEO

anarchists and the left's main objectives are to argue amongst themselves don'tcha know

28. mauvais

mauvais change has become unavoidable

Couldn't organise an anarchist social centre in a cafeteria. It's hardly fucking Granita is it?

29. Citizen66

If they'd rather see good food go to waste than it look bad on their cred then this is clearly the privately educated never-been-skint-in-their-life brand of revolutionaries.

I'm sure kids in third world countries would really dig their principles.

30. FreddyB

FreddyB Floating my boat

I no nothing about the situation or any of the people but it could be more than just some bacon in a fridge, stuff that's been brewing for ages. What I'm sayin is that maybe there's a few people who need putting in a sack and shaking up