1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Urban adventure - the south circular by bus - optional voyage on the Woolwich Ferry

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Puddy_Tat, Sep 24, 2017.

?

Preferences?

1. Tentative Yes, with the Woolwich Ferry bit

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Tentative Yes, but without the Woolwich Ferry bit

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Tentative Yes, but can we do another date?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Alternative - please say

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I didn't think you were serious about this

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  6. Meh

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

On a forum not so far away, the question of whether there was a bus route that followed the South Circular came up.

Having a bit of time on my paws and a bus map handy, I came up with the answer that there wasn't one, but it could be done with several changes of bus (and a couple of short walks) - the suggestion arose that this should be done as an Urban adventure.

This met with a bit of support when the idea was floated again at a South London Drinks (before everyone was blotto) and in conversation, some people also said they had never been to Woolwich and /or been on the Ferry there.

I think the full journey is going to need two, maybe three instalments to do it at a civilised pace.

Does anyone want to give this a go?

I can do part one on Saturday 7 October (based on dates I can do, days that SE trains / Docklands Light Railway aren't completely buggered and so on)

Suggestion is to start in Woolwich about 1030, do the excursion to North Woolwich* - ferry one way, walk through the tunnel the other - then set off from Woolwich about 1130, aim for lunch in downtown Catford about 1-ish, then maybe aim to get as far as Brixton Hill or Clapham Common on the first day, possibly stopping somewhere for afternoon tea or something on the way.

Woolwich Arsenal has DLR from central / East London / interchange with the Jubilee line at Canning Town, or SE Trains from central London (seems to be Cannon Street not Charing Cross / Waterloo East that weekend) or Lewisham (there are SE Railway trains to Lewisham from Denmark Hill / Peckham Rye)

Part 2 (or part 1 if this date really doesn't work) potentially late November, or next year sometime if that's getting too close to Xmas.

I can provide navigation and a few local history / architectural highlight snippets which will get more sketchy the further west we go (i don't intend to do the guided tour thing while we're actually on buses though)

Anyone in?

* yes i know it's technically speaking north of the river, so will quite understand people not wanting to do that bit, especially if they haven't had their malaria shots recently or don't have a current passport. but it was part of Woolwich / Kent from Norman times until they buggered about with borough boundaries in the 1960s...

2. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Up to my tits in quilts

I don't think I can do 7 0ct
    But I would be up for part 2

3. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Might just be you and me, Puddy_Tat

4. Puddy_Tat

First off, I either can't find the right button or I buggered up the poll but either way I can't see who voted what.

Also, I don't have the energy or time to do it this weekend (combination of work and other crap)

May try and revive the idea in Spring (and pester the people who expressed mild interest in the idea at a south london drinks thing)

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I like the style of the adventure but I'm not a fan of bus journeys, so I'm out.

Steam trains/trains are my kind of thing :D

6. tim

tim Well-Known Member

I was very briefly excited by this and then disappointed

7. Miss-Shelf

Another day in 2017?

8. Puddy_Tat

it would be a bit difficult to get one of them round the south circular

:p

at me postponing, or at the idea in the first place?

9. Puddy_Tat

dunno really.

i'm going to be pretty much fully occupied with stuff until first weekend in november, then knackered the weekend after - this weekend was a last chance before then and i did wonder if i was pushing my luck.

is there going to be any enthusiasm for this in what will be the run up to xmas, what with more people having stuff on, it (probably) being worse weather and the nights drawing in, and traffic being worse so buses also being slower?

10. tim

tim Well-Known Member

Excited ay the idea of going on an Urban outing on Saturday, disappointed that it's a nor happening.

11. Sue

Sue Well-Known Member

I'm definitely up for this. I love a good bus journey and have never done the Woolwich ferry. That's if I'm allowed to come to a SLD spin-off..? :oops:

12. Puddy_Tat

:(

it's not officially a SLD spin off. It started on a thread about Catford in 2013 and for various reasons it hasn't quite happened yet. I'll see how things are come mid November, but maybe save it for the spring

the current (1960s built) Woolwich ferry boats are going to be replaced in 2018 so would be good to do that bit while the existing ferries are still running

Miss-Shelf and Sue like this.
  13. Miss-Shelf

Please let's do it ...if not 2017 then early 2018