Amsterdam

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Fez909, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

We're in Amsterdam for the next week, with no plans other than the big flea market at the weekend and meeting a friend on Wednesday. With luck the weather will behave :eek:

2. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Have you hit the ground at the right time.
    Lowlands 2019

3. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

So far all I've achieved is a walk to Lidls :D

miss direct and Ming like this.
  4. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Sounds odd. Were you taking pics outside in the RLD? Might he have been a pimp and that triggered aggression? I was there with a married couple a few years back and she started filming while in the RLD, not pointing the camera at any windows, just filming straight ahead. Cue loads of sex workers suddenly battering on windows...

Have to say, I've walked through the RLD with various male and female pals and no-one's ever really found it uncomfortable, just a bit of a curiosity. I know bad things could be underpinning it all, but... The married couple and I went to a sex show there (her idea!) and there were as many women in the audience as men.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

No, this happened some distance from the main drag, I only had my phone camera and I hadn't been taking any close up photos of the women. He was just a homophobic cunt. I still wished I'd rammed his chips in his bigoted stupid face, to be honest.

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

7. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Nice :thumbs: funnily enough we didn't stay there when we went back in July, we stayed in Hotel The Exchange instead which is right smack bang on Damrak half way between the station and Dam square, mad mad rooms, ours was nuts, I'll post some photos in a bit.

As for Hotel V, the very best thing about it is the location, IMO anyway, but then we like the De Pijp area south of there (as you know) which is only a short walk, as it is to Leidseplein, the Museum area, Rembrandtplein, and if you've not been to the Albert Cuypmarkt before it's only a 2 min walk and brilliant.

There's a Cafe directly opposite the hotel called Cafe Kale and they have a lovely selection of food and booze (and 80s music) they have the nicest Bitterballen I've had in 'dam.

Another thing mate if you've never done it - hire a tandem to boot around Vondel, go for the 2 hour option and have a picnic and bifta in one of the many beautiful plot spots.

As a fellow cheese man, a few mins walk from the hotel (towards Rembrandtplein) is the cheese shop Kaashuis Tromp, I love it in there and they vacuum seal anything you buy, + further up and closer to the square is Boerejongens who have some of the best weed in the whole City.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    ringo and editor like this.
  8. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Seemed busy at times in the room :D

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1564.JPG

9. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Nice pics, chaps. Damn, I need to get back there. Maybe next year. :weed::beer::cool:

Numbers likes this.
  10. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

ED920481-23D8-4728-BAC4-C88E7139CC40.jpeg

I met this fella, Goldie, in Hill Street Booze, he has about 3 teeth, lovely cat who took a proper shine to me and sat on my lap for at least an hour (somewhat surprising to the owner of the place :cool::thumbs:).

11. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Nice one, I'll look some of this stuff up on the map before we go.
    Definitely want to have a boat tour or pilot your own boat too.
    And the cheese shop, obv :)

Pickman's model likes this.
  12. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Mokumboot self hire boat thingy is about an 8 minute walk from Hotel V :thumbs:

Pickman's model and ringo like this.
  13. ringo

Cheers, like the idea of a guided tour but having your own boat too explore is the plan.

Pickman's model likes this.
  14. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Definitely do your own ting mate, get some eats/drinks, download the canal app (they give you a map anyway) and spend a few hours as Captain of your own ship, great fun.

15. ringo

Yes, just downloaded that, looks great. Was a bit concerned about getting lost and hammered on a boat :)

16. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

It’s hard to get lost to be fair, it can get scary tho’, especially when on the Amstel at first or the Open Havenfront with the big cruisers.

Meandering up through the RLD district at 6 km/h is a treat.

ringo likes this.
  17. Grace Johnson

Grace Johnson i like dairylea dunkers

I am off to amsterdam on Saturday. Very excited, never been before. I am particully looking forward to going to febo and eating food out of a wall. It's quite embarrassing how excited I am about this tbh :oops:

Anyone know of any good veggie restaurants? Will mostly be eating cheap from supermarkets etc but have budgeted for one nice meal out :)

ringo likes this.
  18. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

Grace Johnson and ringo like this.
  19. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse A-wob a-bob bob

Lovely pics editor and sorry you met that dickhead. One reason that they get so funny about photos in the RLD is that many of the women who work in the windows will have family in other countries who are unaware of their work, so they are not keen to have pictures of themselves appear on the internet...

20. editor

editor hiraethified

I made a very obvious point of not taking any close ups of the girls where the faces were recognisable - and I was nowhere near the strip when the chip-laden homophobic bell end turned up.

21. Grace Johnson

Grace Johnson i like dairylea dunkers

Thank you. That looks really really good. I did want to do a rice table so this is perfect. Nice one :)

22. Numbers

Numbers an ting!

:thumbs:

You won’t regret it, it’s right by the Flower market also which is lovely.

Grace Johnson likes this.