Amsterdam

Discussion in 'travel and world' started by Fez909, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Anything to do that isn't museums, drugs or prostitutes?

Know any great places for food?

I'm staying in Amsterdam West and so far have two beer shops on my list, a Malaysian restaurant and Red Light/Record Mania/Rush House record shops.

What else is there? Gonna be pissing down apparently, so indoors = :thumbs:

kazza007 likes this.
  2. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Hmm, just realised they've got a permanent exhibition of Bodyworlds! I went when it came to the UK about 7 or so years ago and it was amazing. Might have to do that again.

Anyone been? Is it worth booking in advance?

hash tag likes this.
  3. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

locals currently protesting against tourism in Dam.

sealion likes this.
  4. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Going with gf for nice weekend away, staying well out of the city centre, won't be getting smashed or sitting smoking weed in the open. I think I'll be OK, but thanks.

kazza007 and ska invita like this.
  5. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

6. danski

danski Comfortable chair.

Been here every time I've been to Amsterdam. Delicious Ethiopian food.
    Restaurant Semhar

Also went on a free walking tour, twice. Probably look at TripAdvisor for best options.

Fez909 likes this.
  7. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

was a rushed post, didn't mean it to sound like i was having a go, just thought id mention it, though in fact i think tourism demonstrations deserves its own thread. interesting topic

kazza007 likes this.
  8. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

The Cafe de Paris is nice for swanky coffee and cakes without drugs. Or a cocktail.
    It's famous for being the place Mata Hari did her stuff. I think.

Fez909 likes this.
  9. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

I did wonder what my response should be. Should I feel guilty about going there and adding to the 'problem'? Should I have not booked to begin with.

But yeah, deserves its own thread, I guess.

kazza007 likes this.
  10. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Its ironic in a way. When I first started going to Amsterdam a lot of the tourism that went made it sin city. Drugs and prostitution and the only place in Europe where it was so open. The red light area was really sketchy as were other areas and it attracted certain types from all over.

Nowadays its largely cleaned up and looking shiny and smart but now its when the protests happen.

As it happens I can see where they are coming from. The City council must take responsibility, the proliferation of hotels is immense I don't know anywhere else where there is such a density. This is before all the airb&b which is coming under the spotlight in a lot of places now.

sealion likes this.
  11. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Agreed.

12. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Bodyworks is amazing. Went a couple of years ago. Didn't need to book.

As for shit to do, just wander out from the centre. Personally love the Jordaan district.

Don't know how anyone could be bored in the dam TBH. :confused:

kazza007 likes this.
  13. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

There's loads of good record shops in Amsterdam - if it's not pissing down, wandering around and getting lost looking for them can be fun :D

If it is pissing down The EYE Film Museum is worth a look.

Off to Amsterdam again in a few weeks :)

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  14. clicker

clicker nanook rubs it....

If it's cold and rainy the indoor garden place is a good escape for an hour. Warm and toasty climate and great cacti. We found it by accident ....can't recall it's name :hmm: 'The horticultural something' ?

kazza007 likes this.
  15. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

friedaweed likes this.
  16. N_igma

N_igma Epistemic nuisance

Blue 360 restaurant in Singel has great views of the city from the top. It's in the middle of a shopping centre so unassuming from the bottom but you get an elevator to the top.

scifisam likes this.
  17. miss direct

miss direct misfungled

I liked walking around, coffee in the big parl (Vondel?), street market...

18. KatyF

KatyF Well-Known Member

If the weather improves, I recommend the Sky Lounge atop the Hilton near the station. You don't have to buy anything but the views over the city are amazing.

scifisam likes this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm heading off this week for a quick visit and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for decent bars/things to see etc outside of the obvious ones.

It's going to be chuffing freezing but I'd like to check out some alternative/indie things to do/see/nightlife ...

passenger likes this.
  20. craigxcraig

craigxcraig Prefers 'cxc'

editor not sure if your thing, but theres a good Banksy and Lichtenstein show on atm...

kazza007 and editor like this.
  21. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I posted this before but it’s something I advise people to do in Amsterdam, it costs as little as a tram fare, you get a nice walk in, stop off at the sights, pubs, local coffeeshops, cafes or not as you feel and you see some of Amsterdam that's cool and off the tourist track:

With your back to central station go hard left and walk along the Oosterdokskade past the very cool library, to the Nemo Science building whose roof you can climb onto (in the summer) for free and get a great view back over Amsterdam. Cool house boats around there too.

Then walk past the maritime museum heading along the Oosterkerk making for the Ij Brewery located in an old windmill. Check out the wierd opening times first, don’t drink too much, it’s fucking rocket fuel. If it's not Sunday head from here to the Dappermart, a big street market located in the most diverse part of Amsterdam.

Make your way from the market to Javaplein and get the number 14 tram back into Amsterdam. It takes you back past the zoo (which is not obvious from the street "did I just see a fucking monkey in that park????), Waterlooplein, Rembrandtplein and right into Dam Square where you should get off.

kazza007, keybored, danski and 6 others like this.
  22. scifisam

scifisam feck! arse! girls! drink!

Does anyone know of a cheap place to stay in Amsterdam? Not Air B&B. We're supposed to be going for five days in June and the cheapest I've found is a one-star shithole for £500 and even then that has so many stairs I won't be able to do it. :(

Probably should have looked it up first, but we've been to other places usually considered expensive (Brussels and Stockholm) and got nice hotels for less than that so it just never occurred to me that Amsterdam would cost more. If I can't find anywhere we'll just have to not go and view the tickets as a donation to Eurostar (their rearrangement fees are as much as the tickets were to beging with).

not-bono-ever likes this.
  23. not-bono-ever

not-bono-ever Alles hat ein Ende nur eine Wurst hat zwei

maybe someone can chip in, but sorry to hear this- Amsterdam is a killer at that time of year- if you want to stay in the centre, its not cheap for a half decent place. Zandaam IBIS is half that price but is a good half an hour outside the centre on public transport? , but it all depends on what you want & where you want to go . It is however far far quieter and not full of stag arseholes anf the public transport is decent really if you get a card.

Whats your schedule and purpose ? if its getting leathered at the Bulldog, then central is king, if you are happy to have a decent base that isnt massively out of the centre, this the IBIS lot a re very good value

ETA, I either go for 1 night of hell and stump up for a centre hotel or drive to somewhere half decent on the outskirts, get a decently priced hotel and have a day or two sightseeing and lightweight evening caning. a few miles makes a massive difference in price and quality of sleep

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Bahnhof Strasse and scifisam like this.
  24. scifisam

No caning it - it'll be me and my teenager who doesn't drink or smoke. We'd be going to museums and stuff really. Can't drive though, so it has to be on public transport.

Half an hour outside the city is quite a long way but it's probably doable if it's near a train station. I'm trying to work out if the zandaam one is - it says walking distance to a bus station but I can't find one on the map. Walking distance for me on a bad day is about five feet and J gets knackered pushing me in my crappy wheelchair.

I might look at Haarlem or something because it'd be handy to be able to eat near the hotel in the evening.

25. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

Camping Zeeburg - but the tram stop is about ten minutes walk away and then fifteen or twenty minutes into the centre, so it may not suit. They have 'eco-cabins' and other basic accommodation apart from the camping

26. scifisam

That actually looks really cute but the bathroom thing could be a problem. It says "no bathroom" on the eco cabin list, but I assume there is a shared one somewhere, which would still definitely be too difficult for me. They are so pretty though.

I'll keep looking at Zandaam and Haarlem.

Ground Elder likes this.
  27. scifisam

Even Haarlem is really expensive. I did have a look at Air b&b too but they're not actually any cheaper. I don't think we're going to be able to go. What a waste of money on the tickets.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

:( Are the tickets transferable to someone else i.e. sellable?

29. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

If you do cancel claim the airport tax back. You’ll be amazed how much you’ll get back from an Amsterdam flight.

30. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Have a look at the Stayok in Amsterdam Oost.

Amsterdam has a problem with lack of hotel rooms and the quality of them as you’ve found out. Airbnb is expensive because there was a huge crack down about 2 years ago so it’s hard to (legally) rent on Airbnb now.

It’s fairly unfriendly to wheelchairs too. As a 16th century city it’s to be expected so don’t let it put you off. Do plot your day a little bit before you go out. The museums and gallery’s will be fine but the older pubs and small businesses will be harder.

scifisam and not-bono-ever like this.