AMB/Grainger/Preston

Discussion in 'Dulwich Hamlet FC' started by Ben Caldecourt, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

I’m making this thread as I think it’d be quite interesting to see views on how fans have think players have performed so far. Easiest was to start with all three goalkeepers, as from every morning I will select a player under a new thread and we can speak about how each player has done so far, what we think positives and negatives etc are...

Something that’s never been done on here as far as I can see and something different for all viewers to get involved in!

I’ll start things off with the keepers. I know AMB is no longer with us, but in all my time supporting Dulwich (15 years) I’d go as far as to say I think he’s one of the best I’ve seen. Paul Seuke was my first and was brilliant as far as I can remember, but I was 6/7 y/o and can’t quite think to how different the standard was. Phil Wilson is the next best after that, you knew what you got what with Sarge and he loved Dulwich quite obviously, horrible to see his injury at Glebe away but nevertheless an absolute top bloke. Finally, Preston. Kept us in many a game as to date, technique is superb on the ball and a brilliant goalkeeper. Perhaps slightly unlucky with injury beginning of the year, but it’s all part of football!

New paragraph for Grainger. Since AMB loan has finished I’ve only seen Grainger at the AFC Croydon Athletic game, where he looked comfortable enough. Pre-season I was impressed, but after seeing AMB week in, week out I think I may have rather him. I’m happy to see Grainger now, with games under his belt and appearing to perform better each week. Look forward to seeing him progress as looks we may have a top keeper on our hands!

Anyway - hope you haven’t been bored. Comments on goalkeepers will be brilliant from you all, will select another player at random each morning with a few comments of my own.

Poids, pettyboy and B.I.G like this.
  2. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

Gavin seems to have been ruthless with GKs this season. Preston is acting as GK coach as well as back-up? I was surprised we went out and got another GK who then replaced Preston fairly early on.

Then when we got AMB after the concussion for Grainger, it was great to have a GK who will go onto great things and be a pro GK in the league.

We haven’t seem to have kept as many clean sheets as I would have expected with our GKs prowess. Not sure why as the CBs and FBs seem great, maybe just need time to be coached into a unit. Maybe individual errors?

3. pompeydunc

pompeydunc Well-Known Member

CHICO!!!!

4. Moroccan Sunset

Moroccan Sunset Well-Known Member

Yeh, enough talk about football - what about those fucking key-janglers, eh?

EDC, Cyclodunc and scousedom like this.
  5. StephenMac

StephenMac Well-Known Member

I think AMB and Grainger are both upgrades on Preston. Grainger looks excellent but he'll of course make mistakes along the way. AMB did too, among a number of great performances.

Matt The Cab and 3010 like this.
  6. Jamie Wyatt

Jamie Wyatt Well-Known Member

Lucky to have Maynard-Brewer for the time we had him... clearly on the way up.

Always thought Preston done a good job for us, as mentioned unlucky with injuries in recent times but Grainger looks a step up again... was excellent at Havant.

7. Matt The Cab

Matt The Cab Live it like you love it

Agree with posts 5 & 6.

Preston is/was a good all round solid keeper, maybe he didn't command his box as much as we fans want, but IMO if his defence are aware of that then they will deal with most of the problems. What you don't want is a keeper who for half of the time stays on his line while the other is rushing out all over the place. If it's around the penalty spot then the centre backs handle it.

Maynard-Brewer will be a very good goalie, and I can easily see him playing at a higher level. The performances he put in for us were of the highest quality and made a massive difference to our league results & standings.

Grainger is I think an improvement on Preston, the margins are quite fine but these are what maybe could turn a couple of losses into draws or draws into victories with those big saves. I’m hopeful we can keep him for a good while as I believe he will get better and hopefully together the defence will become a very good unit.

Poids, StephenMac and Jamie Wyatt like this.
  8. StephenMac

Grainger stated that he'd signed to put himself in the shop window. Very early days but so far he looks very capable. Can't think of any examples of keepers getting back into the top four divisions (other than loanees) but I presume it must happen.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    B.I.G likes this.
  9. B.I.G

B.I.G Well-Known Member

In the shop window if he keeps a clean sheet in the FA Cup game!

Matt The Cab and StephenMac like this.
  10. blueheaven

blueheaven Well-Known Member

AMB was excellent and Grainger has looked good to me too. Can't help but feel a bit sorry for Preston though - he's been such a crucial (and popular) figure in our success over the last few seasons. He must be wondering what he's done wrong.

Moroccan Sunset likes this.
  11. StephenMac

Probably just not as good as the alternative(s), popular or not.

3010 likes this.
  12. RabbleLevi

RabbleLevi Well-Known Member

Prestons always had great ball control and distribution (especially throwing). He’s also never been afraid to throw himself at everything which has been a blessing and a curse as he has made mistakes.

Grainger has great accuracy with long kicks and is able to pick out Mills. That is something he and AMB have in common and we have started to gain control of games further up the pitch rather than play out from the back. Grainger made two world class saves against Weymouth and a handful of others, he looks like he could get much better as the season continues.

I don’t think AMB or Granger have been particularly vocal, they have just let let the defence get on with it.

Pink Panther likes this.
  13. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Did we ever find out what Preston's injury was? I think he must have re-signed knowing he was probably going to be second keeper but was ok with it because he could start his coaching badges and get fully fit. He's also a new dad so maybe other life priorities.

For me, not much between AMB and Grainger, both excellent. Would like to see them bonding with the fans a bit more but much harder for keepers as they are at the wrong end of the pitch. Took Preston best part of a season before the Party started...

14. NPDHFC

NPDHFC NAC-ITM

Wrist.

15. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

For me Preston's greatest strengths were his ability to receive passes and play the ball out quickly and accurately. This was what made him an upgrade on Phil Wilson, who never looked especially comfortable with those aspects of the modern game even though he was clever enough to make sure he didn't get caught out by it. Since our elevation to the National League I think there's generally less emphasis on playing out from the back in this way as opponents seem to close us down quicker and give us less time and space to build from the back as we always liked to do in the Isthmian League.

As mentioned by others Preston could maybe have been more commanding coming off his line for high balls into the box, but above all else you want someone who is consistent in these situations. (Phil Wilson was much the same.) By contrast I felt Amadou Tangara looked very confident handling high balls under pressure, but his kicking and distribution could be erratic at times.

AMB looked too good for this level, I don't think we'll see a much better keeper than that. He reminds me of Carl Emberson, who we had on loan from Millwall at a similar age and went on to enjoy a substantial Football League career. I've only seen Charlie Grainger in one pre-season game and the Weymouth and Havant games, but he looks pretty decent so far.

StephenMac and RabbleLevi like this.
  16. RabbleLevi

Glad you mentioned Tabgara. Tangara’s performance against Billericay away two seasons ago was heroic, the best individual performance I’ve seen from a keeper in a Dulwich shirt. Despite conceding in the first few minutes Tangara pulled of many fingertip saves to stop a Ricay onslaught in the first half, for which we equalised late on and scored two more in the second half. If it wasn’t for Tangara, who was relatively new and that match may have been his debut, the game would have been done and dusted in the first 15 minutes.

He is also an excellent penalty stopper, one us a trophy at Bromley!

17. StephenMac

Preston seemed very uncertain coming to the edge of his box and beyond trying to sweep up when we would play a high defensive line. He ended up neither here nor there on a number of occasions. We don't seem to be doing that so much now so don't really know whether Grainger is better cut out for that situation. Yet.

18. Ben Caldecourt

Ben Caldecourt Active Member

I may have the wrong game but this was Corey Addai I believe? He definitely made his debut in a 3-1 win away at Billericay.

pompeydunc likes this.
  19. Bugpowder Dust

Bugpowder Dust Well-Known Member

Yes think this was Addai. He was absolutely outstanding in a very eventful game, iirc there was an 20 min delay for a injury to Allasani?

And think it was him who scored the winner in a cup tie against his cousin. And there was once he got lost on the way to Tooting and made kick of by less than a minute... Lots of memories in a short space of time. Will have to go and Google to find out how he is getting on.

20. Al Crane

Al Crane Well-Known Member

There's a video of his saves v Billericay:

crocustim and StephenMac like this.
  21. RabbleLevi

Your right. Was it Tangara or Addai in the Bromley friendly shootout at the begging of last season. Or neither?

22. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Well-Known Member

That was Tangara.

23. bkbk

bkbk Well-Known Member

I love Tangara. Thought he did a fantastic job filling in for Preston in our promo season and he'll always be our penalty shootout hero.

Decisiveness off his line is the only question mark I have on Grainger so far but its so early (I think I've seen him three times) it's barely worth commenting on and grossly unfair.

crocustim likes this.