Amazon raises minimum wage for US and UK employees

Discussion in 'world politics, current affairs and news' started by editor, Oct 3, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good move, long overdue. Now let's see the rest of the mega-rich corporates follow.
    Amazon raises minimum wage for US and UK employees

Oh and this doesn't get them off the hook for all their tax-swerving though..

2. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

They have a history of dumping injured workers without compensation. They also have working paces and expectations that can't be met. In one interview a worker commented that they choose what they get in trouble for. I have to doubt this changes any of that.

crossthebreeze and SpookyFrank like this.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I hope they get taken to task for all their cunty behaviour but this is a step in the right direction. The quicker wages set at (or above) the Living Wage become the norm, the better.

4. spring-peeper

spring-peeper Well-Known Member

... and, contrary to the title, Canadian workers will get the raise as well

Chemical needs likes this.
  5. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

On their track record concerning tax and the way employees are treated I decided to boycott them. That was about 4-5 years ago.

6. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

And now we need a government that puts tax rules in place suitable to address their business model. We can then all shop online guilt free :D

7. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I believe May may have said something to that effect in her conference speech today. I look forward to the Tory enactment of closing all the loopholes employed by the tech giants and all other businesses and individuals to legally avoid tax.

neonwilderness likes this.
  8. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

I haven't stopped shopping online, just Amazon. In any case if you can be bothered to look around you can often find that they are not the cheapest at least for the sort of stuff I mainly used Amazon for which is buying computer parts.

9. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

I was kind of thinking a non tory government who might actually do it :thumbs:

neonwilderness likes this.
  10. salem

salem Well-Known Member

Amazon have a lot of hated from me for many reasons, however credit where it's due.

Their systems are not very labour intensive so this probably won't even cost them much in the grand scheme of things but will hopefully be picked up on by other companies.

11. salem

salem Well-Known Member

The vast vast majority of the time ebay is cheaper than Amazon but requires a little more digging. No doubt many ebay sellers are as bad if not worse than Amazon but IME most are smaller companies that are a bit better to deal with.

A lot of stuff - especially fulfiled by Amazon on prime is marked up extra to cover Amazon's absurd fees.

teqniq likes this.
  12. Yuwipi Woman

I don't boycott them, per se. I just tend not to buy anything new, unless its something I can't find any other way. Like most people, I have too much shit anyway. Don't need to be buying more useless crap.

SpookyFrank, salem and teqniq like this.
  13. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I must remember that sarcasm is much harder to communicate in the written word.

14. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman It's all good, man

I don't know which Amazon you're using but I've found the exact opposite. In fact, I rarely, if ever, find computer parts cheaper on Ebay.

15. teqniq

teqniq DisMembered

Yes folks, here's the catch.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  16. Mrs D

Mrs D . Banned

If something is say £8.50 on Amazon and £8.96 from your favourite UK-tax paying alternative, you can simply buy it from Amazon and then donate 45p to HMRC. This example would be no different from Amazon paying a ~5% tax on turnover in addition to other taxes that they do pay.

17. Supine

Supine Rough Like Badger

Yeah, that'll work.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  18. spring-peeper

19. Duncan2

Duncan2 Well-Known Member

Amazon are about to open a distribution centre where I am.I can see this causing a stampede of logistics workers over to their new gaff.In this area experienced workers on day-shift are usually on around eight quid an hour.Can it be that employers rather than the law are going to set the pace on wages???Got to be another catch/caveat in this somewhere.

20. petee

petee i'm spartacus

Duncan2 likes this.
  21. spring-peeper

Ottawa is getting a distribution center as well - we are very excited!!!!

Duncan2 likes this.
  22. Deej92

Deej92 Member

About time. Let's hope other big business follows suit.

23. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Are they paying London living wage?

Badgers likes this.
  24. TheHoodedClaw

TheHoodedClaw acknowledging ur soup leg

They're paying minimum £10.50 p/h for London staff.

25. DotCommunist

DotCommunist slowtime

LLW should cover the xurbs and commuter towns as well imo. Or rent controls. Fuckit, abolish money.

26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

27. Yuwipi Woman

As I understand it, they're planning on raising the cost of a Prime membership by $20 and blaming it on this pay raise. How much you want to bet that it not only covers the rest pf the cost of the raises, but a little something extra too.

NoXion likes this.
  28. TomUS

TomUS non-resident

My concern is that Jeff Bazos may have to make painful sacrifices to his lifestyle because of this. :(

Yuwipi Woman and Badgers like this.
  29. Jeff Robinson

Jeff Robinson Well-Known Member

crossthebreeze likes this.
  30. Yuwipi Woman

It's true. Liberals never think of the real victims.

crossthebreeze and TomUS like this.