Amazon Go (cashier less shops)

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by cybershot, Jan 22, 2018.

1. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt Dyslexic King Cnut the Great.

I drove my mum nuts when we got home & I started pulling sweets out of my pockets. :oops:

Impressed, she was not. :D

BemusedbyLife likes this.
  2. emanymton

emanymton A cat politely sat on the flaming gardener.

My bank sent me a new card a few months ago which wasn't contactless.

3. kabbes

kabbes "A top 400 poster"

I’ve asked HSBC for a contactless credit card and they told me they don’t do them.

4. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

wot? How does having a contactless card make you a moron? it's not as if you have a choice not to have one

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  5. Orang Utan

put it in your wallet then! cash is best for nights out, or for shopping on a budget

6. Orang Utan

I worked at Asda recently and was bamboozled by the amount of people who still insisted on using chip and pin when they had contactless - it was almost as if they were scared of it!

BassJunkie and UnderAnOpenSky like this.
  7. Orang Utan

cupid_stunt and sealion like this.
  8. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Wallets are for cards and notes, coins are unnecessary bulk and weight.

9. Orang Utan

Nonsense, I keep my change in a wallet and it's hardly a weight one cannot bear

danny la rouge and sealion like this.
  10. skyscraper101

My wallet doesn’t even have a coin keeping section. So on the odd occasion I have stashed a coin or two into one of the flaps, it often falls out and gets lost somewhere. Load of bollocks.

paolo likes this.
  11. Orang Utan

there's plenty of wallets with change pockets

danny la rouge likes this.
  12. UnderAnOpenSky

UnderAnOpenSky baseline neural therapy

Yeah, I just lose it unless I have a wallet that does so. Although I try to avoid having to much of it by mostly paying with my phone.

13. Orang Utan

yeah, me too. And it somehow ensures that if I have change, I use it to pay for stuff, instead of letting it build up

14. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

That's probably because they expect you to spend more than £35, contactless only goes up to that. There's no point them having extra cost making contactless cards if you can only spend £35 at a time and they are scumbag credit card companies wanting you to spend thousands.

15. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Whoa.

You have it for debit though?

Still whoa.

16. UnderAnOpenSky

If you link it to a phone you can go higher.

17. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

Nah.

Scumbags like me spent lots of tiny amounts. They make their tiny fraction. Swipe fags and booze. Swipe a pizza.

UnderAnOpenSky likes this.
  18. paolo

paolo Well-Known Member

We’re off topic though.

I reckon this idea will go nowhere.

Unlike self service scan, this seems really complicated. You have to pre register for the service, you have to go through gates. Both of those are barriers to participate.

I’ll run a bet: this won’t appear in your high street in ten years. More likely never.

BemusedbyLife likes this.
  19. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

If you have a card which is already contactless, it's pointless not using it. If you want to stop people using it if they steal it, you need to ask the bank to give you a non-contactless card.

20. kabbes

Not sure. I don’t use my HSBC debit card so I don’t carry it with me. So I can’t tell you.

21. nuffsaid

nuffsaid But this goes up to 11

Agreed, Satan's chips are a lot more straight-forward. The multi-purpose of them confirming, easily storing securely and tracking, identity will be the clincher that means this will be the technology that covers a multitude of requirements. They'll just have to overcome some resistance in the public mind to accept these, but hey good ol' St John told us about 2000 years ago this would happen, and we're a whisker away. Interesting times.

22. UnderAnOpenSky

Maybe not exactly like this, but I bet a variety of it will.

23. kabbes

It means I use my Santander contactless card instead for most of my transactions, though. An odd thing for HSBC to miss out on.

24. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

My bank gave me a choice and i said no.

25. 8ball

8ball Considerably more oppressed than yow

Mine sent me a contactless card, so I called them up and they were fine about it and I got a regular card in a few days.
    At first some banks were a little more stubborn, I hear. Hence the youtube videos showing you how to disable the contactless feature.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  26. xenon

xenon Radical efficiencies

I specifically asked for a non-contactless card. My bank sent me a Contactless one anyway.

Natwest cunts

27. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank We kill the flame

I got a normal card from natwest but that was 18 months ago.

28. skyscraper101

Pre-registering is what, a one time thing? and going through a gate is nothing compared to the convenience of not having to scan individual items.

I bet this (or something similar) will be here in under 10 years in the U.K. - it’s too much of a incentive to save on personnel for the big supermarkets. Waitrose already have that scan as you go thing. This is just the next step.

29. Orang Utan

Why would you do that?

30. ffsear

ffsear Well-Known Member

Its a great Idea, no one likes queuing up at a supermarket! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]