1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Go (cashier less shops)

Discussion in 'suburban75' started by cybershot, Jan 22, 2018.

1. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

Is this the way forward?

The supermarket with no checkouts

Proper Big Brother, scan your phone, you face is tracked (according to BBC article, didn't read that on another article) and then you get charged for what you pick up of the shelf (what you put back you shouldn't get charged for)

There will be staff, making fresh food, stacking shelf's, and helping out. So I guess it's no different theoretically than going into Tesco, but there being no checkouts!

Not quite sure on the face tech myself!! Then of course when it comes to Amazon, if you're already into their Alexa and what not else, you might as well just give them your DNA and be done with it.
  2. Pickman's model

Pickman's model funhouse thrills

A decade ago I was told by my big boss there were libraries in the United States where books were issued to readers as they walked through exit barriers, using rfid equipment. If you look at libraries using rfid stuff now, self-service accounts for the great majority of circulation. The situation described in the op isn't a million miles from this and will be the norm in the next few years.
    Badgers likes this.
  3. cheesethief

cheesethief Well-Known Member

Bet you still have to be vetted by a human to buy booze, glue or even f'ing paracetamol...
    Badgers likes this.
  4. littlebabyjesus

littlebabyjesus one of Maxwell's demons

There seems to be stiff competition to find the most mundane, underwhelming way to use amazing new technology. This is a contender.
    salem and emanymton like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But when it's streamlined so you just walk into a shop, grab your sarnies and walk out in a flash, you'll be more than happy to use it. Everyone hated self service cash tills when they started and now they're everywhere. People expressed major doubts about using contactless cards, but it's everyday technology now. Etc etc etc.

This is how capitalism and technology work. Quicker, faster, cheaper with more $$$ for the top dogs.

As Talking Heads put it: same as it's always been.
  6. a_chap

a_chap A closed mouth gathers no feet

I still hate them and absolutely refuse to use them.
    ddraig, Hellsbells, Fez909 and 4 others like this.
  7. Yuwipi Woman

Yuwipi Woman Whack-A-Mole Queen

You have to wonder how much more they need:

Richest 1% own half the world's wealth, study finds

Near as I can tell they want it all and they don't care how many people have to die for that to happen.
    NoXion likes this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Never ever enough. Greed has no boundaries and while we're in a world that celebrates vacuous celebrities, royalty and the stinking fucking rich, I can't see things changing any time soon.

Rich people shouldn't be uncritically celebrated and lauded in aspirational magazines (or the filthy Evening Standard/Mail etc). They should be made to feel guilty as shit if they're giving sharing their immense wealth with those less fortunate. The cunts.
    Epona and Yuwipi Woman like this.
  9. pesh

pesh Well-Known Member

MrSki and danny la rouge like this.
  10. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

How does this shop deal with weights and measures?
    Or will choice between a 1, 2 or 5 bananas be limited by what they’ve packaged?

I like Scan as you shop.

Running total of cost.
    Pack as you buy at your own pace (not under pressure at a till).
    Pretend you are a space cowboy with your very own laser gun.

How long before someone works out a simple hack to fool the system (like a reflective face paint, strong light source or something) and steal loads of stuff?
    BemusedbyLife likes this.
  11. Teaboy

Teaboy It definitely looks brighter over there..

Whilst I know you're right here I just can't really get my head around how much of an advance this is. Clearly if Amazon want to go into food shopping they've got to do something different but for the consumer? I dunno, time will tell.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I don't think they're going to start opening more stores all over the place: this is just a way to get publicity for the clever clogs technology they've invented/employed.
  13. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat meh

14. danny la rouge

danny la rouge This is definitely the darkest timeline

Me too. I don't use contactless cards either. And I'm often told by checkout staff that lots of people are the same. Including some of the checkout staff I've spoken to.
    ddraig and sealion like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

There's plenty of people using them (and their phones) everywhere I go. Two years ago, a quarter of tube/bus passengers in London were using them and I imagine the figure is substantially higher now.

One quarter of London passengers travel using Contactless
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. littlebabyjesus

I've given in, pretty much completely. In pubs, staff get annoyed if you want to pay with anything other than contactless nowadays. :D
    salem and ska invita like this.
  18. cupid_stunt

cupid_stunt & dyslexic cnut.

I used contactless for the first time a week or so ago, 'tis the work of the devil.
    SpookyFrank and sealion like this.
  19. littlebabyjesus

Cash points will start disappearing soon, I would think.
  20. Gromit

Gromit International Man of Misery

I was sceptical about Apple Pay etc but needs fingerprint (more secure than a PIN in my opinion), keeps a handy record in my electronic wallet and is faster than typing a PIN (usually, not always).

Using face recognition for it though. Not convinced. Surely tapping whilst angling the camera at your boat race isn’t allways an easy operation.
  21. cupid_stunt

One in five ATMs set to close over next four years
  22. danny la rouge

Of course there are. Wasn't claiming otherwise.
  23. sealion

sealion Conscientious selector

24. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I don't have a contactless card because I'm not a fucking moron.
    danny la rouge likes this.
  25. purenarcotic

purenarcotic Conveniently Pocket Sized

Do you remember when the shops did ‘5 items or less’ queues? I haven’t seen one of those for ages, I suppose the self service has killed that.
    danny la rouge and cupid_stunt like this.
  26. cupid_stunt

I thought all cards were contactless nowadays? :hmm:

Certainly my new Tesco debit card is.

Yeah, I know, Tesco are evil bastards, but at least they pay 3% interest on current account balances up to £3k, unlike most the other cunts, plus you get Clubcard points whenever & where ever you use it. :oops:
  27. danny la rouge

Epona, mwgdrwg, S☼I and 2 others like this.
  28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I hear Satan actually keeps his arsehole very clean and that kissing it is not as unpleasant an experience as you'd think.
    bemused, cupid_stunt and sealion like this.
  29. cybershot

cybershot Well-Known Member

It works well. It’s actually easier. I don’t unlock the phone by accident.

However you can over ride it and pay with the unlock code. Not sure if same applies with the fingerprint reader. It’s a bit worrying as there’s no limit on Apple Pay. So if I get mugged and they want my unlock code as well. Nothing stopping them going on a massive spending spree as well as phoning everyone they know abroad.
  30. cupid_stunt

So, who do you bank with, and are they any less evil then Tesco Bank? :hmm:
    NoXion likes this.