Amazing set of photos from the Crossrail project

Discussion in 'transport' started by editor, Apr 5, 2013.

1. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

He hasn't been on here since Feb. What's he upto? :hmm:

2. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

Video regarding the TBM's :)

skyscraper101 and ddraig like this.
  3. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

that is ace! :cool:

skyscraper101 likes this.
  4. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

blacklisting firms, people being sacked for raising H+S concerns and dickhead security involved tho :( :mad:

5. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

But not without it's humanitarian fallout :(

ddraig likes this.
  6. tendril

tendril Leave your money on the dresser

I cycled into work when Unite were doing the protest at London wall right outside my building. I was sorry not to be able to stop and participate as it was very likely my job could have been made difficult had I done so (I am a chef for a law firm) :(. At least I am a member and know that my subs go towards this worthy cause.

Spanky Longhorn likes this.
  7. TitanSound

TitanSound Mr Beardy Drummer

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

Breaking news:

London gets narrow-gauge cutey-choo-choo!

[​IMG]

10. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I love this huge projects.

11. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

12. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

A political decision. The Siemens train was technically better, but they withdrew their bid after it became clear that "built in the UK" was more important. It's the right decision IMO.

13. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Perhaps they got some stick after they awarded the Thameslink contract to Siemens...

Chz likes this.
  14. Crispy

Exactly the case.

15. laptop

laptop Freudenschade

So the North-South trains will be better than the East-West!

16. Crispy

Potentially :D

If we had a joined-up railway sydtem, both lines would end up using the same trains, and they'd all be built in this country.

17. Bahnhof Strasse

Bahnhof Strasse Free the Sepsis Six!

Really?

Is this the same Bombardier who walked out on the tube signalling job having trousered £100m of our money and leaving us all with a bill for £100's of millions more?

They should be told to do one. And they should lose the contract to build the new tube trains too. Let the Germans do it all, at least it will get done properly.

18. davesgcr

davesgcr Reading books

Siemmens build good trains - I had something to do with the class 350/2 and having seen the factory , driven a train on the test track and spoken to many drivers over here (who are quick to find faults) , I find great satisfaction from the guys and gals who work them each and every day.

Not to say the Derby product is inferior - they built the latest batch for Southern in record time and they have settled in nicely. Give them a chance - they needed the work , and am sure will step up to the plate. The surface line signalling debacle was a hangover from Broons pathetic PFI initiative. More shambles frankly evident on NHS / BBC / etc IT projects.

19. Bungle73

Bungle73 I was there, now I'm here Banned

That's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'm quite sure most people in the UK would prefer British trains to be built by British workers.

20. Bahnhof Strasse

No it is not. It's about accepting that we are part of the EU and if a fellow member is making, as Crispy says is a superior product then little englanders should not get in the way.

Besides this order was 100% political and nothing to do with what is best for xrail.

21. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

From an end user standpoint, the Desiros have their little niggles (squeak, squeak, squeak, slow doors and a "lively" ride over the bogies) and the Electrostars have their little niggles (narrow, can't eat the huge bumps well, narrow, wonky gps, narrow). It may be that the Desiros are a bit better built/engineered, but they were also a fair bit more expensive and arrived several tons overweight. They're probably both even now, having had 10 years of updates and whatnot.

In terms of XRail and Thameslink, it's fairly meaningless. They're both brand new and likely to suck for years until they iron out the faults. ALL new trains are unreliable.

22. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Siemens withdrew because having won Thameslink, they're full up. They don't have the capacity to produce Crossrail trains in the timeframe dictated in the contract. Which boiled it down to Hitachi vs. Bombardier. If it was purely political, Hitachi would have won due to offering to build a brand new factory in the UK.

23. Bahnhof Strasse

After the Thameslink brouhaha Hitachi never stood a chance.

24. Chz

Chz Stark Raving Sane

Well, and they already have IEP. I suppose they want to foster competition by handing them out that way. I think my main point is that the Brits and Germans (Bombardier's ex-Adtranz Germans, in this case) upped their game considerably after the sting of the previous loss. There was certainly some political tension around it, but given the attention it was generation I don't think it was possible to influence it that way. They had a good bid.

25. Crispy

God I forgot about IEP. Is that still a mismanaged specification of doom and money drains?

26. WouldBe

WouldBe non smoking

That gradient is a bit steep for trains to get into the tunnel. :eek: ;)

27. Bahnhof Strasse

Was just musing on this kind of thing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...ow-as-Siemens-wins-1.6bn-Thameslink-deal.html
    Love the bit about the Zeppelin raid btw ;)

existentialist likes this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. dlx1

dlx1 Sitting by phone waiting for a call

bump

30. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

wow! no apology needed for that post!!
    nice one