1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I likely to get away with leaving the car at Brent Cross and getting the bus into town?

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Slo-mo, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

I note from the website there is free 'customer' parking at Brent Cross Shopping Centre. I presume that is officially only while you are on site? What is not clear (perhaps unsurprisingly) is how far you can push it. There is just no time limit specified at all.

It's a long shot, but has anyone left their car there and got the bus into town and got away with it? I'm guessing the fact it doesn't open til ten and isn't that close to the tube deters commuters anyway?

Before anyone suggest it-from where I live to London it's now £105 day return on the train plus £10 parking at the station. And the National Express takes about 4 hours compared with just over 2 in the car.

2. Harry Smiles

Harry Smiles Well-Known Member

I suspect so. I go shopping there sometimrs and there are no barriers or receipt checks. There aren't even machines with free period tickets.
    Screenshot_20180101-184051.png

Slo-mo likes this.
  3. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Yeah I read that. My only concern was if they were doing sneaky number plate checks, but without a time limit I can't see how they can enforce it.

4. Harry Smiles

How long are you going into town for? If you were going into Brent X for a ladies hair appointment, a lunch with the girls and and an afternoon sales shopping, for example, you could be there all day.

Or, there's a soft play there - I did 4 hours in one today. Who's to say your not in there?

Slo-mo likes this.
  5. Harry Smiles

One thing you should know is that it's a ten minute walk away from the shopping centre to the tube station btw, just in case you need to be in town by an exact time

Slo-mo likes this.
  6. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Ok. I'm planning on getting the 113 bus anyway but I've got no set time frame. Planning on a couple of museums and a bite to eat with a (obviously non alcoholic) drink in a pub.

7. Harry Smiles

Personally, I think you'll have no issues, though I won't go as far as sponsoring any fine incurred! :D

Slo-mo likes this.
  8. keybored

keybored

Look for signage with any terms and conditions at the entrance to the car park, and dotted all around the car park.

No signs, no problem.

Slo-mo likes this.
  9. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I’d suspect if you did this every day, they’d pick you up - if you do it a couple of times per year they won’t care.

Alex

Slo-mo likes this.
  10. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'll check carefully for signs and maybe risk it I think. I'm sick of East Midlands Trains rip off pricing.

11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario buy something and keep the receipt.

Alex

12. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

Slo-mo likes this.
  13. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

14. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Ok cheers for the warning. Maybe not such a good idea. You can hardly blame them in a way.

I wonder how they knew the guy had left the site, though. Feels a little creepy.

15. spitfire

spitfire Toast

You can park in residents bays in Highgate Village after 12 and it is free until the following morning at 10am.

Slo-mo likes this.
  16. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

The car wasn’t there - they aren’t going to have any idea which people on cctv are related to which cars, or at least not cheaply enough to make it worth issuing tickets.

You could see why they’d do it for people who were there every weekday for 12 hours.

Alex

Slo-mo likes this.
  17. Slo-mo

Slo-mo Well-Known Member

Yeah you can. Possibly they are sticking tickets on any car there more than x hours and expecting them to prove they were using the centre all that time. Even though I'd probably win at appeal I really can't be arsed with the stress and hassle.

Westfield Shepherds Bush is looking a safer bet, 6 quid for 24 hours if I can figure out their online thing, if not 8 quid which is still cheap by London standards and straight onto the tube network in zone 2. Shame it's not as handy for the M1 though.

18. Adrian Mole used to leave his car in the car park at Brent Cross as it was the closest free parking to his flat in Soho. I think he got a ticket in the end.

Dr. Furface and Slo-mo like this.
  19. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

I have never seen any CCTV at Brent Cross and have parked there a few times, by Fenwicks. I can't speak for the other side of the road where TKMaxx is. I think there is a hotel over there somewhere which probably monitors parking.

Slo-mo likes this.
  20. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

True, but everyone who lives round there knows that and trust me you'll be lucky to find a spot round there. However that parking zone extends further down past Highgate Cemetary where you're much more likely to find a vacant place.

21. spitfire

spitfire Toast

As you say, down near the cemetery (Swains Lane) is my preferred spot, although you have to approach it from the South, I park there every day.

You can get a spot near the village 90% of the time after 12 although it can get too busy.

Merton Lane is the get out of jail free guaranteed space but it's a hell of a schlep back up the hill. :D

Slo-mo likes this.