Alton Ellis has died

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by wurlycurly, Oct 11, 2008.

1. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Nightmare. Sorry about the cut'n'paste hell but here's PA's obituary.

Reggae star Alton Ellis, who pioneered the “rocksteady” sound, has died of cancer in hospital at the age of 70, it was confirmed today. The Jamaica-born singer and songwriter passed away peacefully at Hammersmith Hospital in west London last night, a spokeswoman for the hospital said. Tributes poured in for Ellis, who moved to Britain in the 1970s, with many mourning the passing of a “legend”. During a career spanning more than 50 years, Ellis had a string of hits including I’m Still In Love, Dance Crasher and I’m Just A Guy. Ellis was known as “the Godfather of rocksteady” and enjoyed a string of hits in Jamaica during the very early days of reggae. His manager and agent Trish De Rosa, of Roots-Rockers Promotions, said he was a prolific artist and a key figure in the history of Jamaican music. “He has been my guiding star and my inspiration from the moment I met him,” she said. “His life was the music and the stage. “He was getting a tremendous amount of work right up to the end - it was very difficult to get him to slow down. He wanted to do as much as he could and leave a strong legacy.” She said Jamaican authorities were considering the possibility of giving Ellis, who was diagnosed with multiple myeloma last year, a state funeral. Ellis underwent chemotherapy and returned to the stage before he collapsed during his final performance in central London in August. Laurence Cane-Honeysett, Jamaican music consultant for Trojan Records, said the label had been associated with Ellis throughout his career and that he was a pleasure to deal with.
    “He was a genuinely lovely man and his songs were heartfelt,” he said. “He was a seminal figure in terms of popularising Jamaican reggae music. “His death is a terrible loss.” Jamaican reggae singer Delroy Williams, who had been friends with Ellis and worked with him since the 1960s said, described his voice as “the sweetest in the reggae world”. Williams, of Mitcham, south London, added: “He was very humble. “His music is the reason for a lot of babies - that’s how sweet and warm and loving it is. “It’s just a shame that he didn’t get the big world hit that he deserved.” Williams, who was manager of the late reggae star Desmond Dekker, said it was poignant that the last song he performed on stage was Muriel because it was the first one he recorded in the 1950s. Among those who posted tributes to Ellis on his MySpace site was reggae singer Pato Banton, who said: “I would like to send nuff love and respect to the legend Alton Ellis and his wonderful family.
    “One Love Always..PB” Ellis began his career in the late 1950s, before Jamaican music had earned a worldwide following,
    and recorded for many local producers before launching his own All-tone label. He had several hits while fronting the vocal group The Flames and many more as a solo artist. Ellis moved to Canada and then to London in the 1970s as his career went into decline. He enjoyed renewed popularity in the last 15 years thanks to a rocksteady trend in Jamaica and Europe. Ellis, who lived in Northolt, Middlesex, leaves more than 20 children.

2. Rutita1

Rutita1 Scum with no integrity, apparently.

RIP Alton :(

3. El Jefe

El Jefe .. the Rural Juror

ah fuck :(

4. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

Blimey, really didn't see that coming - I was still slightly holding a slight grudge about his no show at the Lambeth Country Show if I'm honest.

Apparently he collapsed at a recent 100 Club gig and never regained his health. RIP Alton.

:(

5. ringo

ringo Macaroni cheese controller

Alton Ellis RIP

It's with a desperately heavy heart that I must report that Jamaican legend Alton Ellis lost his battle with cancer this morning.

Can't quite put into words Alton's contribution to reggae

6. El Jefe

very very sad (there's another thread but he deserves two :) )

7. El Jefe

8. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

ah well. :(

9. ringo

So sad.

He'd been battling the cancer for over a year. When I saw his son Dean in the summer he told me how well Alton had been doing, he almost believed he would fully recover.

Been dreading this for months but it still feels like a massive shock.

Gutted

10. Divisive Cotton

Divisive Cotton Now I just have my toy soldiers

11. felixthecat

felixthecat are we there yet?

Ah bugger - just saw this.:(

RIP Alton

12. cozmikbrew

cozmikbrew Bass case

a great loss to all lovers of life love and music alton we salute you

13. ringo

14. Ground Elder

Ground Elder Well-Known Member

I've been playing Alton Ellis all week :(

15. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

R.I.P Alton..You have been part of the soundtrack to my life since i was 11.:(

16. jayeola

jayeola New Member

17. albionism

albionism A successful virus clinging to a speck of mud.

18. Pip

Pip Well-Known Member

Goodnight fella and thankyou.

19. foo

foo dirtysweet

20. Clint Iguana

Clint Iguana not an undercover cop

Thanks for the memories Alton, see ya in that great dance hall in the sky

Trojan Records obituary here

21. Fedayn

Fedayn Well-Known Member

22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'll stick on a record, have a dance, raise a glass and have a drink.

23. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Shit :( RIP Alton :(

24. ringo

25. STFC

STFC Well-Known Member

26. William of Walworth

William of Walworth Festographer

What a legend! :cool: and :(

27. scalyboy

scalyboy Left them to time

RIP Mr Ellis the King of Rocksteady.

28. john x

john x Well-Known Member

That is spooky.

I was listening to him just the other day and wondered whether he was still alive or not.

I used to do gigs with him 15 years ago when he lived in Leicester.

Such a sweet, sweet voice he will be sadly missed.

Condolences to his wife and 20 children!

john x

29. coccinelle

coccinelle Well-Known Member

I just flew back from JA on the return leg of a Virgin flight that brought Alton Ellis' body back to JA. The body will lie in state for a couple of days and there will be musical tributes from (among others) Derrick Morgan and then he will be buried next Monday.

On another sad note, Saturday saw Byron Lee being brought back to JA. He has been suffering from cancer for some months and it looks like he has come home to die.

30. tarannau

tarannau Mongolian eyed

That's a shame. My folks love Byron Lee, his dragonaires and all that old time stuff.

I was shocked to see just how popular that crew was with the ex-pats in Vancouver and beyond, playing full on stadium sized venues to big smiles. Hadn't Byron recently celebrated 50 years in music or something as well?