All New *All Singing/Dancing* London Bookgroup Welcomes New Members thread

Discussion in 'books, films, TV, radio & writing' started by Pickman's model, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

we're reading nana for our next meeting, which will be next thurs at a venue to be decided. if you want to join, please post on the thread and come along! you don't need permission from anyone to join!

2. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

My collected thoughts on Nana todate are provided below:

"Well I've started it and am enjoying both the 3rd person narrative and subtle interplay of the characters."

"I am also intrigued in Zola's attention to light in describing scenes. I wonder if this is a refection of what was happening in French painting at the time. It will"

"Well, so far my favourite character is that sleezy banker."

"I recommend perservering with Chapter two.. it gets better.. err, yes.."

"This book is great. Zola is so subtle. You think nothings happening.. but then you realise its all happening. More episodic than linear."

3. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I need to start reading stuff again. Count me in. :)

4. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

welcome aboard, ldr! :)

5. jms

jms The Lagoon (Jazz)

6. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Cheers!

:cool:

7. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, well, I've read one book by Zola and all I can say is: "na na, na na na na, na na na na, na na na na naaaaaaaaa".

:) L

8. zora

zora true to the crab

This might be of interest, too, to possible newcomers:

Since then, there's been: Fear and Loathing on the CampaignTrail '72 by Hunter S. Thompson, The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, The Automated Alice by Jeff Noon,Something something Ho Jeeves by P,G.Wodehouse, The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien, The House Of The Spirits by Isabel Allende, Dispatches by Michael Herr, Granny Made Me An Anarchist by Stuart Christie and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

The next meeting, thursday 18.08., is apparently chez Citydreams et Onemonkey (a very fine venue indeed). BYO cheese and wine, PM the aforementioned for address details.

:)

9. trashpony

trashpony Ovaries and tings

If I manage to leave my stupid office within the next week and get the book, I will come:)
    I have read loads of books but none on your list. :(

10. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

The book is online somewhere...

11. bluestreak

bluestreak HomosexualityIsStalin’sAtomBombtoDestroyAmerica

i'd like to join in but i don't know if i've got the time for a month or so. but i will partake eventually.

12. Orang Utan

Orang Utan razzed up on scrumpy and injustice

Oh shit, I don't think I can make it - maybe this means I can put the book down and read something else.......

13. LDR

LDR kiwitanga

I'm not going to have time to buy nana and to read it by Thursday.

Keep me updated as to what the next book will be and I'll pop along to the next meeting having had time to read it.

14. Brainaddict

Brainaddict chief propagandist (provisional)

What! :mad: You're not gripped and thrilled by it!?! You're going to be in trouble with Hollis you are! :eek:

15. Orang Utan

It's alright but I read it at university and I have a book about geology to read that looks thrilling.

16. Brainaddict

Tectonic plates move significantly faster than a Zola scene so I can't blame you for your choice...

17. zora

zora true to the crab

Wait till you get to the wife bashing :eek: :eek:

I made quite a good start on the book and was hopeful to actually finish it by thursday, but was too busy this weekend to do much reading, what with work and one thing and another.

Still, am over halfway through and look forward to thursday lots.

18. Lysistrata

Lysistrata Well-Known Member

My point exactly.

19. zora

zora true to the crab

Are you still coming along for the wine and cheese though, Lysistrata? :)

20. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Sorry, I can't make this now.

I will finish Nana though.. Honest.

21. Daff

Daff .

Does Nana remind anyone else of Angela Carter's Nights at the Circus? (I think Nights was done by the group a while ago.)
    Maybe Carter was making some kind of link? Some of the scenes with Nana at the theatre seem similar. I'm probably reading too much into this!

See you tommorrow! :)

22. onemonkey

onemonkey winmonkey

yep the whole thing doesn't really get going until about page 200.

the lesbianism is ok too.. ;)

23. onemonkey

onemonkey winmonkey

the thought hadn't even crossed my mind.. but i am sure you are right.. (and i also know which one i prefer :D )

nonetheless, have a gold star >> *

24. Pieface

Pieface New Member

I'm loving this book but my mate Jess has decided to come and visit me tonight so I won't be along - I'll wankered somewhere in Brixton instead.
    Have fun kids :)

25. Brainaddict

Sometimes I question your commitment to this bookgroup Mrs Eye :mad:

26. Major Tom

Major Tom Mentalist Wierdo RIP

There's no way I'm reading Nana beyond chapter three. I can't stand it.

But I tried, I ended up reading chapter three three times - and its just not going in.

Therefore, I will pass on tonight's meeting and hope we do something more interesting next time.

27. Hollis

Hollis Bloody furious

Yeah.. could I suggest that books for the next 2 months are picked.. it makes it easier for those of us who find one a month abit much sometimes.

28. Major Tom

Major Tom Mentalist Wierdo RIP

Good idea - I can start October's book tomorrow! :D

To be honest I'm reading about three or four books at once at any one time, and find it very hard to wedge another one in, unless its unputdownable. Nana is unpickupable.

29. Orang Utan

I put Nana on the shelf yesterday and found another copy I'd had for years - anyone want a spare? :)

30. Brainaddict

I also read the first three chapters before it became unbearable Major TOm. I then skipped to the end and read bits of the last two.

I'll be there tonight though.