All change at the Queen's Head, Stockwell

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 15, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

Just went for a couple. Nice for a couple of pints but will be better when they get the kitchen in - they apparently have a minimal waste/sustainable ethos. Staff also v friendly but then got home and looked on Internet and that seems to be a "corporate value" of the (small pub) company that owns it. The previous lot never felt hidebound by that....

brixtonblade and editor like this.
  3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Ooh.......will pop in just before chucking out for a spot of "minesweeping" in that case :thumbs:

[only kidding :D]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    gdubz likes this.
  4. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

Got to say I liked to focus on local beers... Enjoyed a few scoops there and a the marquis of lorne last night.

5. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

editor and Winot like this.
  6. steve belfast

steve belfast New Member

Gutted!! I found this place one Sunday night and stayed till 0400, came back 3 nights in a row.

I had only moved to the area and was so glad to find a proper pub and made very welcome.

Simon was a good lad and made me welcome as did everyone else, I was only over from Belfast to work on the Rugby World Cup for 8 months but made a few good mates there. I ended up at a few after parties in the local area and had a great time.

I doubt the new company that have bought it over will be staying open to all hours and having the same madness or local crowd.

The best pub in London never mind Brixton has gone!!

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Queen's Head as we knew it is dead and gone. I was thinking about it tonight: there was nowhere else you could pop in on a Monday night and end up enjoying a fabulously chaotic night. The nearest thing now? Prince of Wales on a Thursday.

8. cuppa tee

We thought we'd go for a pint one sunday evening a couple of weeks back out of curiosity and it wasnt even open

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's got near 1970s opening hours. I miss the Queens so much, especially in the week where there's barely anywhere left to go late.

10. cuppa tee

1970's prices would be nice.........did pubs stay shut on sunday in the 70's though...... my dad used to go missing btween 12 and 2 and we all thought thats where he'd gone.

11. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Apparently Simon is DJing somewhere in Loughborough Junction tonight for those missing the Queen's Head.

12. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

I drank in the New Queens through out the late seventies and eighties when Louie and Shirl were in charge believe me it was very seldom closed they'd fuck off to bed and the punters would serve themselves and put the money in the till.It was the best pub in Brixton for a long time a black pub with a swirl of squatters on top.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    editor and Thimble Queen like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes he is :)

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Looks really nice now. They've clearly put some thought into the refurb

Badgers likes this.
  16. Ol Nick

Ol Nick beer in Brixton

It's generational change. Gen Y youngsters don't really like scruffy pubs. Gen X middle-agesters don't get out as much.
    It's also tourism. People come to Brixton (fringes) looking for something special these days. They're on a night out so they'll pay up. There's more money in catering to them than to local custom.
    Some places bend with the wind: Effra Hall, The Trinners, The Dogstar in its way. A very few just keep going as they were.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    twistedAM and editor like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

God, I really really really miss the old Queen's Head. There's nowhere left to go in the week now if you want a late beer.

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  18. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

to be fair to the queens, its a different pub but the prices for the beers that they sell (locally brewed) are a cheaper than most of the other locals (selling similar beers)

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I wish them every success, but the area is now without any late pubs at all in the week and that's a real shame. The old Queen's was a real community music pub and, like Kaff, I'm missing it one hell of a lot.

aussw9 likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So it seems that the pub has changed hands again, with talk of the new owners introducing "more live music." But they've already cancelled the monthly Sisters of Reggae DJ slot while telling one local that they want to be more of a gastropub. The website hasn't changed yet. Anyone have any more info?

Boy, I miss the old Queen's Head.

21. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

sisters of reggae have moved to the ritzy haven’t they?

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've been playing there for ages as well as doing a regular slot at the Queen's Head.

23. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

It's been closed since last Friday but open again tonight showing the football. Since the reopening/referb it's always been pretty dead. The Marques of Lorne on the other end of the street seems to be thriving.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018