All change at the Queen's Head, Stockwell

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 15, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

With the pub finally changing hands (anyone know who to?) it looks like the Queen's Head as we know it has gone for good.

I doubt very much if the pub's uniquely chaotic and extremely mixed character will survive the transition, and already the best open mic night in Brixton has moved out: All change at the Stockwell Queen’s Head as Sing For Your Supper moves out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me it was the last real 'Brixton' pub - as in the kind of place that still retained the spirit and mix of people that I saw when I first came here - and if it does indeed change into something quite different, I'l be saddened to see it go.

Of course it wasn't to everyone's taste, but I've had some of the most wonderful, anarchic and hilarious nights - even on Monday nights when every bar in Brixton was dead!

(*yes I know the landlord was an arsehole once but it would be nice to talk abut the people that went there and the great events that were put on rather than bang on about that one incident again)

2. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

I may be cyncial, but I've heard many times it's Simon's last weekend there, ever - I'll believe it when I see it. Still be a shame to see it go/change beyond recognition, had some great nights there.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The fact that the long running Sing For Your Supper has been told that its all over convinces me - it's been cancelled tonight. I'm going to really miss the night.

4. Jah Lush

Jah Lush Booze enthusiast and lazy bastard.

Was never a regular but I shall never forget the mad, great bonkers fun times when the Fat White Family held their Slide-In nights there. Sadly, it'll never be the same again.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The amount of times I've "popped in" the Queen's for a "quick pint" on a midweek day swearing I won't stay late because I've got important work to do next day - and then then found myself walking home at God-knows-o'clock in the morning.

I'm going to really miss it. There's nothing like it.

DietCokeGirl and Jah Lush like this.
  6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Not another one gone.........:mad:

what happened to the Albert ?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Albert is still a great boozer and feels way less shiny, trendy and/or corporate than all the other boozers in the area, but it lost an awful lot of its unique community/alternative vibe when the council evicted all the long term squatters/housing co-op residents who lived nearby.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It appears that tonight was the last ever night. It was of course fucking brilliant and packed with a diverse crowd of locals. I'm going to miss this place so much.

9. DietCokeGirl

Damn, walked past about midnight but decided to be sensible :(

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone know who bought the Queens? I certainly knew a lot of people who wanted to buy the place but found trying to secure the deal a truly exasperating experience. I asked Simon last night but he - shall we say - declined to comment.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Good pics, some proper faces there...............not least this lurcher who I last saw hogging the stage at the Bermondsey Folk Festival[​IMG]

Greebo and editor like this.
  13. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

Chances of it turning into flats? Not that i want it to.

14. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Strip-out in progress, which would suggest re-fit for continuing use.

Anyone know any more.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What I've heard is slightly encouraging, but the Queens we knew and loved has certainly gone forever..

16. gdubz

gdubz Hashtaggin'

I went past the other day and they were painting but had plastic covering the taps and bar, which suggested it was going to continue as a pub

17. DietCokeGirl

Yup, certainly seems to be undergoing a lick of paint, but looks like it's remaining a pub.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the word on the street! :thumbs:

19. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

I had no idea. Dropped by for a pint last night and it was all shut up, though could see lights on through front door glass and painting in progress. Gutted. Haven't been there for a few months and much less than used to but for several years after Simon took over had some fantastic nights there. Was really sad after George iv and the queen on Ferndale road closed ut then the qh popped up from the previously dead pub that was there and the anarchic Brixton publife was back in business. Met some lovely people there over the years and some of the best nights of my life, proper parties, mash ups of all sorts, proper get downs.

A silly story, a few years ago I asked Simon if I could play some tunes in the pub on a Saturday afternoon before the main night got going and nice chap that he was he said I could so went down mid afternoon on the Saturday as agreed. There was not much going on as you'd expect and there was a hung over chap with a beard who I told that I was going to play some records so he swore, cursed Simon and said that the set up was in a mess after last night, and he set about setting up the decks for me. After he had finished up I thanked him and asked his name and he said 'Nicky', I said 'Oh no, not Nicky Holloway' as I know that he played there sometimes being a mate of Simon and he reluctantly admitted that it was him. I was full of embarrassment that I'd got Nicky Holloway the godfather of British House to set up the decks for me, but he was a nice guy. Nicky lived for a while above the pub with a padlock on his door. Which just about sums that fantastic place up for me. RIP. I salute you! ;-)

Ed - we may have crossed paths I imagine, I'm quite distinctive as I have a limp and a 'big shoe' with a raise on it and a bit of a funny walk ..

Fingers, ddraig, DietCokeGirl and 2 others like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A peak inside. It looks like they're opening up the upstairs too.

del.jpg

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's another window snap from Facebook (courtesy RD).

The former regulars aren't finding the shiny new look too encouraging.

del.jpg

And the (unsurprising) word is that their focus is going to be more on food, with no live music and no DJ events.

:(:(:(

22. ignatious

ignatious Well-Known Member

Gastro written all over it.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I want chaos not poncey food.

RubyToogood likes this.
  24. DietCokeGirl

Just had a peek, looks very sleek and clean and expensive.

25. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'm fed up with all these people who claim to have a passion about pizzas etc.

Would a funeral directors claim to have have a passion for funerals these days?

salem, Eggby, Plumdaff and 2 others like this.
  27. DietCokeGirl

Oh, that'll please my neighbours, and ensure the Marques has 100% of my patronage.

28. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Their Trinity pub puts on ok music nights - seen a few people from here at the rockabilly gigs they put on.

I'm barred from the Roebuck still having been a Tuesday regular before they took it over. They had similar issues with the Montpellier. Ed won't get his chaos though.

Anyway, people are being killed in paris, so this seems a bit facile.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. DietCokeGirl

Looks like it's opening tonight or tomorrow. Looks a bit bland. Happy to be proved wrong. Oh so very tempting to go in and feign ignorance that's anything's changed and get up to shenanigans.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    editor likes this.