1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexandra Road Housing/Rowley Way

Discussion in 'London and the South East' started by Reno, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

The BBC are doing a programme for Rip Off Britain about how lenders won't loan on ex-council flats like The Alexandra Rd Estate/Rowley Way because they claim that these flats aren't marketable. This is of course total nonsense as the enquiries on just this thread show. For anybody who wasn't able to get a mortgage and who would be interested in participate in the programme (and meet Gloria Hunninford !), then drop me a PM or an email if I gave you my email address.

2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

I think take up of RTB is generally lower on Estates than for Street Properties (I'll state an interest here - I work for a local authority and I'm against RTB) . I think the issue at Rowley way and another Camden estate of similar vintage (Maiden Lane) is the concrete construction? Lenders are reluctant to fund mortgages on concrete flats? I don't think it is an issue of marketing, both are fairly central (in Zone 2)

There is the issue of 'living on an estate' which also puts people off - and there are tensions that do occur between leaseholders and tenants.

Greebo likes this.
  3. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

We have a recent survey to prove that the concrete is fine. It was poured on site and is high quality. The problem is usually with prefab concrete brought to a site. I've never been aware of tensions between council tenants and leaseholders. We have a strong TRA where we support each other and leaseholders and tenants are generally on the same page. There is a strong sense of community here.

If anything it is lenders refusing to lend who are creating a problem on the estate. Our flats are popular enough that leaseholders can sell to cash buyers (which disproves the claim that our flats are unmarketable). Unfortunately many of them are buy-to-let investors who move in short term tenants who often have little stake in the community or the building. We'd rather have people who want to live here because they like the architecture and the sense of community. Because of this thread I've gotten lots of enquiries from people who want to live here, so many are not put off by living on a council estate.

I've heard all the theoretical reasons for why lenders won't lend here and they are not backed up by any facts. They just apply very rough and ignorant criteria across the board. That's why Gloria Hunninford is on the case ! :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    marty21 and Greebo like this.
  4. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

Good to see you back around these parts Reno :)

Reno likes this.
  5. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Thanks, call it a guest appearance. :)

6. qishan

qishan New Member

Hi, Reno,

Good to see you still liking the flat and the community after this many years.
    I am considering buying one of the flat in the estate from a friend, it has reception at 1st floor, then 2 bedrooms at ground level connecting to the garden, I don't know if yours is a ground level flat, or maybe someone else can suggest, I am a bit concerned about bedrooms on Ground/Lower Ground Level, is it quite cold? would damp be a problem? Also you mentioned there are cockroach, I also heard there were rats, would it be more problematic if it is a ground floor flat? I mean I am an architect myself and there is no doubt I give very high credit to the architecture and sense of community etc, but buying property is different, I want to know all the practical issues to know what I am dealing with.

And if you know any plan for major works in near future, please let me know

Also anyone have any news on mortgage lenders?

Thanks!

Bethanie dee likes this.
  7. Bethanie dee

Bethanie dee New Member

I grew up on this estate my aunt lived there it's amazing. The community is different to what you would expect. The houses/flats are lovely well our one was.
    Where it is situated it is great. I was a child and this was recently (I'm 13) but it's great for families. We lived in 37b but recently my aunt passed (medical condition throughout life) and they moved.
    I grew up here and may I say it was great!

marty21, Reno and Greebo like this.
  8. Bethanie dee

Bethanie dee New Member

Great

9. Bethanie dee

Bethanie dee New Member

Ours was ground level and it's not cold the only thing is the trains can be a pain.

10. Bethanie dee

Bethanie dee New Member

Also around December we moved so ours should be up I think. 37b great family home and perfect condition.

11. Reno

Reno The In Kraut

Hi Quishan,

Sorry, I'm not on here much anymore, hence the late reply. I live in a second floor one bedroom flat. I don't have a problem with cockroaches, but I get ant infestations every so often. Ant traps generally take care of those. I haven't seen rats, but I've had mice but not since I got a cat. Some flats get water leaks from above. It's the councils responsibility to fix those, but I've never heard of problems with damp. Thanks to the central heating system in the walls the flats are never cold, of anything they often are too warm as we have no control over the heating.

No news on the mortgage front, I'm afraid.

12. Emmanuel Tib

Emmanuel Tib New Member

Hello,

I am also keen to buy a place in the estate and would like to ask a few questions to those who have lived or live there.

(1) Is there some external storage space, for instance underground in the parking? I have the impression that the flats don't have so much storage space for luggage, boxes, etc...

(2) For the flats on the train track side, do you hear the trains a lot? How often do they pass by and what time do they start and end every day?

(3) Still about the trains, do you hear them if you are on the other side of the estate?

(4) If anyone is thinking about selling, please let me know. I am looking for 2- or 3-bedroom flats!

Many thanks for your help!

Emmanuel