1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

the newish dizeeee rascal album has enough amazing tracks to make an album of the year easily; its pretty long and theres quite a few average ones too tho

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  2. marty21

marty21 One on one? You're crazy.

Paul Draper (Mansun) has a new album out Spooky Action . Just had a listen , quite Mansun-ish . Like it.

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  3. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Mentioned in passing a while back (by Casual Observer ) but I think it deserves a nod on here:

Alan Vega - It

Posthumous release, and not betraying any loss of intensity as he reached the end of his life. This is a massive bastard of a track:

4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

A quick heads-up that the new Mogwai LP is out on Friday.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  5. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Not sure if it came out last week or earlier, but the new War On Drugs is very nice. :)

6. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

Grizzly Bear's Painted Ruins is fucking brilliant! Takes a few listens, but wow!

7. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Shame they seem to have taken all their stuff off Spotify. :(

8. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this sounds like it might be amazing

9. stavros

Andrew Hung, who is a Fuck Button, has a solo album out next month. One very brief preview I read suggested it was quite a departure for him, eschewing electronic noise for something else, with vocals as I recall.

10. billy_bob

Not sure about this. I don't hate it, but the vocals are weak, and superfluous at best. What it reminds me of is a very anaemic version of 90s drone band Hair and Skin Trading Company, who were formed from the ashes of Loop.

stavros likes this.
  11. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I'll give that a go. Not sure where I stand with the other guy's Blanck Mass solo stuff. I've seen him live & really enjoyed it but the albums have left me cold- never really going anywhere.
    White Math is one of the best tracks I've ever heard though.

kage likes this.
  12. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Bicep's eponymous album is pretty damn great. :thumbs:

13. Favelado

Favelado The Perfect Kiss

Orang Utan

Listened to the new LCD Soundsystem yet?

14. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

have i fuck.
    The Huey Lewis & The News of dance music
    21231771_10155703072467059_1249072845264827373_n.jpg

15. stavros

I think all three Blanck Mass albums have been excellent, and I'm sure the newest will be near the top of my end-of-year list.

krtek a houby likes this.
  16. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I think you're probably right. I just need to give them more time.

17. stavros

I remember listening to Tarot Sport for the fourth or fifth time and it was around the crescendo of Flight of the Feathered Serpent that I realised, holy fuck, this record is a work of unutterable genius.

18. billy_bob

They had me at the first bass note of 'Sweet Love for Planet Earth', but I do find Blanck Mass's stuff takes a little longer to grow.

stavros likes this.
  19. stavros

I don't know if she's got an album coming, and if so whether it's Xenomania throughout, but Nadine Coyle has just released a single produced by Brian Higgins. He and his team were responsible for some of the best pop of the last 15 years, including the majority of Girls Aloud's work.

20. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Sally Dige - Holding On

This is fantastic. I love it when someone transcends the genre they come from. Darkwave = goths with synths. It's been around as a style since the 80s and there's been a bit of a resurgence of it the last few years. I'd call it a revival, but it never really went away and was never popular in the first place. Sally Dige's first single was a quality Siouxie/Cure pastiche aimed at the dancefloor, but her first album didn't much rise above all the other Darkwave albums that are glooming around - miserable vocal style, synths + drum machines, Cure guitar lines. But this one goes in a bit more of a pop direction and is great for these grey autumn evenings.

billy_bob likes this.
  21. billy_bob

Was quite ready to hate this, and I did not: very listenable. It's got that air of something that I'd have liked a whole lot more if I'd heard it when I was a miserable teenager though. I just hope teenagers are still unhappy enough to get this stuff.

Spandex likes this.
  22. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I do like Courtney. I'm thinking of getting this. Can't get the song out of my head, but every time I actually listen to it I get bored after two minutes, and then it seems to do another ten.

23. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

This is out now and is fabulous.

Red Cat likes this.
  24. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Just given the new Godspeed you! Black Emperor a listen - its proper good (so good i'm actually scheduling a proper no distractions listen for it) and it has a three movement piece called Bosses Hang which makes it even better

25. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

imo the best thing they've done since Lift...and all new music too unlike the last records.

crossthebreeze likes this.
  26. stavros

I finally got round to giving a listen earlier, and I think I'm in agreement with you. The album might be one of those that I'll pick up if I find a cheapo promo copy at some point.

27. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  28. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

I think the only modern one I have bought in 2017 (apart from the dreadful Royal Trux live one) was Wavves.

Bit indie shmindy for me, but nice enough to have on the background. I think I am getting to mellow in my older age.
    Couple of decent tracks. I can't hate it.

29. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

There's a new Andrew Weatherall album - Qualia - out and this time he doesn't sing all over it. If you've heard a Weatherall tune in the last decade you'll know what to expect - psych dub disco electronica. It's great.

Here's a tune off it: Spreads a Haze (And a Glory)

Mattym likes this.
  30. stavros

Are you counting Weatherall-produced tracks by other artists? If we're talking Tarot Sport then I'm very interested.