1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

New EMA (Exile in theOuter Ring) out 25th August

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was a bit ambiguous. I got the new Slowdive and like it a lot. What I was wondering was if the new Ride is worth it (your bracketed bit implies not, but if you can confirm that'd be great).

3. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Heard this on Late Junction the other week, can't wait to hear the whole album... Hannah Peel with a big ol' brass band. The album is called Mary Casio: Journey to Casiopia

4. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I gave it another couple of tries but it doesn't hit the spot for me..... couple of pretty decent tracks but on the whole I found it very underwhelming....

stavros likes this.
  5. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

my friend FINALLY got round to putting out his album, it is well worth the wait though, fantastic apocalyptic new orleans ensemble jazz songs... these guys are the real deal as far as jazz goes, they are playing music all the time and anywhere and everywhere (in the environs of Soho anyway)... it is quite an exciting scene, of course a record is never going to capture them live but this does a good job.

ouchmonkey likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

oh this is wonderful too, new album by david nance... takes bits of country rock and glam stomp but mixes it with hideous noise to very catchy effect

SpookyFrank likes this.
  7. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE F.B.I.!

Tyler the Creator's new album ius out today. It's great!

Dr. Furface likes this.
  8. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

OK, I'll probably only bother if I see it dead cheap somewhere, maybe at the end of the year.

9. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Drunk In Hell are finally releasing an album, due out 13th October by all accounts.

This track from it emerged last year (missed it then somehow) - sounds like it may come close to capturing their live glory. Hope so anyway...

rutabowa, Voley and mojo pixy like this.
  10. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Think I might have finally found my album of the summer. The new ones from old Odd Future-ists Matt Martians - The Drum Chord Theory - and Syd are rather good too. Here's Syd's album Fin in full...

mwgdrwg likes this.
  11. dialectician

dialectician shoot doctors

new sote

Like an apocalyptic update on Dariush-dolat Shahi's electronic music tar and sehtar.

12. dialectician

dialectician shoot doctors

i really like the new jlin

Dr. Furface likes this.
  13. flypanam

flypanam Slip the leash and the chain

New Godspeed in September

Ming likes this.
  14. Ming

Ming Massive prawns

Best album i've heard in ages. Saw them supporting Melvins last month (never heard them before) and got the CD at the gig.

ETA: Oops...released last year (but a new one is out this year so it's kind of a heads up).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  15. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Multiple Man - New Metal

BURNING CHROME, CROSS CONTINENTAL HI-NRG, FIRM HANDSHAKE ELECTRONIC BODY MUSIC as they describe themselves. This has really been growing on me. On first listen I thought "oh, some retro 80s EBM". And it is retro 80s EBM, but it's sooo good. I keep going back to it. The sound of dancing in a small sweaty basement club in 1989 next to a guy who looks like this:
    [​IMG]

Multiple Man - Luxury Boys

Dr. Furface and rutabowa like this.
  16. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm getting the impression they might be sightly cross about something. Someone should have quiet word with them about how attention-seeking is a counterproductive coping strategy.

17. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Didn't you have a shrieking fit the other day 'cause a journalist slagged off a band you like? Don't think you're really in a position to be handing out advice on appropriate coping strategies.

18. Voley

Voley The Prebendary Of Wetwang

That is quite splendid.

19. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

They are the best. Presumably a tour is on the cards too - go see them if they come anywhere near you.

20. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

So that's where Mike Doskocil went.

21. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Drunk in Hell remind me of War Wolf

22. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

Drunk In Hell - "they think they're Brainbombs but they're really Status Quo"
    apparently this was supposed to be a diss, but it seems a fair endorsement to me.

23. articul8

articul8 Dishonest sociopath

rutabowa likes this.
  24. butchersapron

It's miles better than their first one which i was really looking forward to on the basis of the single - that single turned out to be the only decent thing on it. This one is a def improvement and the politics seem to also have advanced from panther-fetishism style-brand-dropping.

25. articul8

I missed the first one but this one is stunning. Believe a couple of Portishead people and Son))) involved in the production. The single is especially great - has an almost Northern Soul feel at times.

26. butchersapron

Just to be clear, i meant the single from the first LP - which is still the best thing they've done. Surprised they allowed anyone connected with far-right fellow travelers like Sunn O))) near them. Maybe it was the good one.

Oh it seems it was only someone who had produced Sunn O))).

27. articul8

ah ok - have you seen them live? Told they are "on-fire good".

28. butchersapron

Nope, they're here in november though.

29. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Agree with you BA, this one is miles better than the, pretty ordinary, first album.

30. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

just go this The Cowboys record, def worth a go if you like fuzzy guitar pop/proto punk... it is more varied than that sounds tho, a nice listen all the way through