1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I'm sure I bought a remix of one of the album tracks a couple of weeks ago- maybe Morgan Geist remix or similar???

2. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I noticed in HMV today that the Afghan Whigs have a new one out, In Spades. The reviews I've since read suggest it has more in common with their comeback LP of three years ago, rather than their 90s heyday, so I may give it a miss.

3. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Jane Weaver has a new album, Modern Kosmology, out in a few weeks. It's really good. Loads of krautrock influences, it sounds like classic era Stereolab in places. Here's the track that's been released ahead of the album:

Slow Motion

ouchmonkey likes this.
  4. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yeah, I saw that, like you I'm sort of semi-curious

New Penguin Cafe out.

5. stavros

I'm just giving this its first listen, and it's as you'd expect, ethereal and fascinating. Epithymia is its name, by the way.

The39thStep likes this.
  6. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

ooh I didn't expect anything much from them but the new Black Lips album "Satan's Graffiti Or God's Art" is my favourite thing they put out for ages, I had kind of lost interest but this is a good dark record. It's long, and doesn't have any of their garage punk pop hits really, but all the more interesting... kind of a bit "exile on main street". also features fat white family assistance i believe.

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  7. stavros

A new Mogwai album, Every County's Son, is due out on 1 September. It's produced by Dave Fridmann, and apparently it's a long record.

belboid, mojo pixy and souljacker like this.
  8. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Nice artwork too.

EDIT: First track here

Also in post-rock space Do Make Say Think are releasing a new one on Friday

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Radiophonic Workshop have an album out next week, Burials in Seven Earths. it's Great - bleepy synth improvs by the people who invented bleepy synth improvs.

fishfinger likes this.
  10. stavros

TLC release their eponymous album next month, the first recorded since Left Eye's death in 2002. Snoop appears on the first single, but other than that it doesn't seem they've made any attempt to replace her, thankfully.

11. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

It's pretty good, better than the last one anyway (IMO). If you don't want to buy it, it's on Spotify or YouTube too.

12. stavros

Yes, the Observer review last weekend said it had more shades of the earlier albums than ...Beast, so maybe I'll give it a go at some point. It said Dulli managed to flick between his twin emotions of pain and anger well.

13. flypanam

flypanam Slip the leash and the chain

On first listen it's very good.

14. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Heard about this - looking forward to listening - wonderful band...

15. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Fantastic album - :cool:

flypanam likes this.