1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Rumours that the new Chromatics album will be linked to the rebooted Twin Peaks series.

(IIRC The39thStep you were of bit of fan of the last one right? Apols if I'm misremembering)

Spandex and The39thStep like this.
  3. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Stumbled across the Loyle Carner album on spotify the other day, its been the first UK hip hop album thats really caught my attention for years. Its great.

4. The39thStep

The39thStep Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

You have a brilliant memory , yes enjoyed that and the Symmetry album Imaginary Soundtrack or something .

5. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I won't hold my breath just yet. The mystery of what's happened to Dear Tommy makes the Laura Palmer case look straightforward. It's been over two years since the release date came and went. The four singles have all been excellent, but I've given up checking when the album might come out. Italians Do It Better have form for this though - I've been waiting over six years for Glass Candy's Body Work. I've lowered my expectations to hoping the album comes out before the Chromatics T-shirt I bought when it was due for release wears out:
    [​IMG]
    (no that's not me - I'm older, fatter and hairier than that).

redsquirrel likes this.
  6. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

New Hey Colossus up for preorder, first video clip -

apparently Nik Turner is on the album. not sure how I feel about that. :)

7. ouchmonkey

Always been underwhelmed by Gnod, always thought they should be better.
    Happily it seems they always thinnk that too.
    new one easily the best thing I've ever heard by them. it kicks ass.

jakethesnake and redsquirrel like this.
  8. ouchmonkey

Oxbow - back after ten years doing... something.
    looking forward to them at Supersonic

redsquirrel likes this.
  9. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I've been listening to this on repeat the last few days - really nice. Echoes of old-school hardcore, ambient and hip-hop, all mashed up and heard through an open window, late at night in a strange city.

10. redsquirrel

Just heard Coco Hames track from a mix by an ex-urbanite and blown away, other two pre-release tracks on her band camp page are pretty excellent too. Really looking forward to the release of this now.

11. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this is pretty good, i went to see them probably the last time they played in london, in 2003, to the show that this review describes, they made quite an impression on me live

ouchmonkey likes this.
  12. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

I agree, they're not bad but I never felt they quite delivered on their promise.

Agree about that track too, sounds like something early 90s on Big Cat or Amphetamine Reptile. Although I reckon it wouldn't have been any worse for being maybe 6 to 8 minutes shorter.

13. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I saw Gnod a couple of years ago supporting Hey Colossus. I really really didn't like them, found them utterly utterly boring - so I haven't bothered with them since. I should perhaps give the new album a listen....

14. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Wolfgang Voigt has a new Gas album Narkopop out on 21 April, his first under that name for 17 years. This trailer doesn't give much away, except that it sounds like Gas. Which can only be a good thing - Zauberberg and Konigsforst were about as good as ambient techno got.

15. Riklet

Riklet procrastinación

New album is geat isnt it?

Just saw him live tonight and it was fucking great! Such a good show - I am glad I went tbh. Great fun.

16. evildacat

evildacat bunchie‑santa.gif

Saw him at Manchester o2 and was also an amazing show, plus got after party tickets where he DJ'd a 3 hour set afterwards also

17. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I picked it up in my excellent local branch of HMV (they seem to stock some quite left field stuff, for a home counties town branch). On the first listen it matches up to his first two efforts, and probably better than the last Fuck Buttons LP too.

18. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

LP by french band Sida is pretty intense... probably the most interesting guitar music that will come out this year

billy_bob likes this.
  19. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

marty21 likes this.
  20. The debut album from Welsh-born Kelly Lee Owens on Smalltown Supersound is good. Ethereal female vocal electronica, art pop, minimal techno type stuff.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  21. redsquirrel

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  22. ouchmonkey

just giving this a go - out today, OHHMS hotly tipped UK doom/sludge/sab worship type deal.
    all the tracks are named after tarot cards which makes me think "oh fuck off, really?"
    finding it a bit too much 'of it's kind'. Not shit, but a bit generic.
    I may not be in the mood today/you might be keener on it . . .

23. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg THIS IS WHAT WE DO IN THE F.B.I.!

New Goldfrapp album out today.

marty21 and Spandex like this.
  24. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

As well as the new Wire

25. redsquirrel

And new British Sea Power, Gnod and Coco Hames.

And new Bob Dylan (if your feeling brave)

26. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I'm into this new album by Lo Five - only one track on the bandcamp atm, but the rest is great.

27. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

i actually really liked 1 track off the last bob dylan album, and a few more were ok, which... doesnt say much really

28. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

300 Degrees is a great contemporary acid house producer....out of LIthuania!...new 8 track album just dropped.... streamable on bandcamp too....giving it a listen now and its the usual quality (good back catalogue this guy)

29. redsquirrel

Yeah I was being a bit snarky, the last couple haven't been terrible just bland.

30. ouchmonkey

Wire one is OK - nothing like as great as their self titled one from a year or two ago, but that's a VERY high bar
    enjoying the new Boss Hog one a lot.
    it's, um, Boss
    sounds just like they used to, in fact of they said it was a lost album they did on the 90's I wouldn't be surprised at all.
    It's not. but there's something about the production.

Voley and Buddy Bradley like this.