1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

2. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

You ca pre-order the album on band camp now too.

3. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Stormzy new album on February 24th apparently, the single sounds good...

boohoo likes this.
  4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Unbeknownst to me, Brian Eno released an ambient album last month which has had some quite good reviews.

5. Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  6. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Dimitris Papadatos, who's work as Jay Glass Dubs turned a lot of heads last year, has a really weird and ace psychedelic pop album out in the next couple of weeks - Ganja by KU. Recommended.

7. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Have you heard the new Necks album? It's not ambient, but it could be up your street.

8. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I haven't - I'll check it out.

(I like all the musics you know)

9. heinous seamus

heinous seamus til clay-cauld death shall blind my ee

10. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Dragnet likes this.
  11. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

New thundercat has dropped! Fez909

"Thundercat is joined by Flying Lotus, Kendrick Lamar, Pharrell Williams, Kamasi Washington, Wiz Khalifa, Michael McDonald and Kenny Loggins on his third full-length album. Over this 23-track epic, Thundercat blah blah blah"

nogojones and Fez909 like this.
  12. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Yep, my mate was telling me about it this weekend. Said it's really good :)

Apparently he's got a tune about wanking or something :D

ska invita likes this.
  13. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Oooh, it's on Spotify already

*listens*

nogojones and ska invita like this.
  14. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Tunes about wanking may warrant their own thread actually...
    I may get on that when I'm back on a computer rather than this damn phone.

15. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

That's a fantastic album cover.

ska invita and Fez909 like this.
  16. ska invita

what do you reckon?
    two proper tunes stood out for me - the one with Michael McDonald & Kenny Logins (show you the way) and Them Changes (the single?)...the rest is pretty stoned and noodled for me. Show You The Way is spoiled a bit by the bit that goes Ladies and Gentleman, Michael McDonald!! Ladies and Gentleman, Kenny Logins!!

I wish his tracks were longer and went a bit further...Inferno is cool - the longest track, but its barely 3.30mins. Theres some interesting lyrics in there though, but I wasn't listening too close.

Fez909 likes this.
  17. Fez909

Fez909 um...

Pretty much agree with that. Them Changes is his best tune by a mile, but it was on his previous album from a few years ago so not sure why it's in here.

The McDonald one was the only other one I noticed, but I wasn't paying much attention to it. Ended up background noise pretty quickly. Not a fan of lots of short tracks...

ska invita likes this.
  18. ska invita

ah I thought it was an old tune... Confused me...i expect the label wanted something catchier on there, especially as there's some money going into promoting this...my review: Too much weed!

Fez909 likes this.
  19. souljacker

souljacker a little more touch my body

Sounds a bit zappa-like to me. I like a bit of Zappa but I need to be at least six bongs into a session before I consider putting him on. I suspect this album would be the same.

20. ska invita

21. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

It's out. It's good :)

You can listen to it here:

22. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

FNU CLONE - Binary Or Die
    sounds nasty

23. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I know there's some New Order fans around here, so this might be of interest: New Order presents Be Music

A 3CD box set of stuff under the Be Music banner. This review sums up the history quite well :D

CD1 is mostly Barney on production duties and includes all time classics like Sections 25's Looking from a Hilltop (megamix)

CD2 is mostly Stephen and Gillian on remix duties (and is therefore the best of the three CDs), including more recent stuff like Factory Floor and Marnie.

CD3 is a mixture of all 4 (proper) members of New Order producing and remixing stuff and includes the awesome 22 minute version of New Order's Video 586.

I won't claim it's all killer, no filler but there's loads of fucking great stuff on here. And it comes in a nice box which reminds me of the boxes that Factory Records used to put their cassettes in :thumbs:

Voley likes this.
  24. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

MUNA album, if you like that kind of thing - bit Tegan & Sara, bit Passion Pit, female-vocal electronic pop:

25. Buddy Bradley

[​IMG]

26. ska invita

New Goldie album out in June...this is the single
    I have hopes for this...its a good time for DnB on the whole right now, the formula is tight and Goldie always brings in great people to work with...I reckon it'll be less experimental and more head down...therell be some big tunes on it for sure

articul8 likes this.
  27. stethoscope

stethoscope Well-Known Member

Yep, feeling that. Nice vid too :cool:

28. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

29. Buddy Bradley

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  30. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

Bees Made Honey in the Vein Tree - Medicine

They sound kind of not far from what you'd expect of a band half-named after an Earth album, although a bit more.... motivated.

There are people on here who like this kind of thing, I think, although I can't remember who they are...?