1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

According to Crack mag they're releasing a new album called Plunge today - although it says the cd and vinyl versions won't be available until Feb. They'll also be touring next year, but no details yet
    http://crackmagazine.net/2017/10/fever-ray-drop-new-album-plunge-tomorrow/

belboid likes this.
  2. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

3. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Nice recommendation, loving it. :cool:

sim667 likes this.
  4. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Rest

Actress/singer Charlotte Gainsbourg teams up with French electro bloke Sebastian, with a little help from her friends Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (Daft Punk), Paul McCartney (Wings) and others. Not that a list of names means anything if the album isn't great, but it is.

Here's one of the many highlights: Deadly Valentine

Johnny Vodka likes this.
  5. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

I guess he's cursed with this but nothing sounds very heavy after Scorn.

6. billy_bob

Can't believe no-one here liked this first time I put it up - it seems like it should be right up some people's street. I'm giving it another plug, with the AOTY thread just around the corner ;)

From Alan Vega's posthumous last album, IT - definitely going on my PM to Belboid.

7. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

I went to see Ian Svenonius' new project Escape-ism last night, which was very Alan Vega-ish - check out his new album

billy_bob likes this.
  8. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

I've been listening to the new Zed Bias album a fair bit recently. No Garage in sight but some lovely vocal tracks that are a bit reminiscent of 4Hero and other modern electronic-y goodness.

9. killer b

When's the album of the year thread starting belboid ?

10. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

December 1st, as always.

dfm likes this.
  11. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

The Daphni album seems okay (pretty sexy dance music), though the artist title makes me laugh, it being a bit close to my old gran's name. :D

12. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Is Celeste involved at all?

13. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Nah, it's the Caribou man, if you don't know.

14. billy_bob

No mention yet of Angel Olsen's fourth?

"Every time I close my eyes, something small within me dies"

So, you know, maybe not one for the NYE 2017 party playlist. But if you like her you'll like it.

SpookyFrank and mwgdrwg like this.
  15. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

It's a rarities album rather than a new studio release isn't it?

16. billy_bob

Yes, demos, rarities, b-sides etc.

17. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

It's pretty great, but it's not half as good as her last couple of proper albums.

18. killer b

This new album from a couple of members of Wire, Thighpaulsandra and Valentina from Tomaga sounds great from the track I've heard so far - driving cosmische tackle.

19. killer b

20. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

21. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  22. flypanam

flypanam “There is no reason for restraint”

mojo pixy and killer b like this.
  23. killer b

24. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Just browsed through the Norman list. Mt. Eerie at no. 1! I had a listen when that came out but it's so unrelentingly depressing that I don't think I made it through and haven't gone back for more. Maybe I should....

25. killer b

Ha yes, it sound like it's going to be hard work. Will give it a go though, the Norman chart is usually on the nail.

26. mojo pixy

mojo pixy unquantifiable hazards

Avtvmn Digest. Reasons to still be metal in 2017

I notice Cradle of Filth released a new album this year, I quite enjoyed it. If you've ever heard Cradle of filth you'll know what to expect, no great leaps forward stylistically though the performance and production is as quality as ever. There's a cover of Alison Hell by Annihilator too, which I enjoyed.

But more importantly, Akercocke have a new album out, Renaissance in Extremis and so far I'm enjoying it so much I might actually buy a copy. It's complex, intelligent and interesting stuff, as always, that reaches way beyond metal, as always. The whole album is here, but you do have to make it to at least three minutes to get an idea of what they're really about. If the first 90 secs doesn't put you off, you may enjoy the rest of the trip.

And of course Alestorm need a mention for their new one No Grave but the Sea. Like Cradle of Filth, with Alestorm you know what you're getting and if you like that kind of thing then this is probably worth hearing. It comes with a For Dogs version of the album, where the vocals are replaced by sampled dog barks. Why? Alcohol no doubt.

This song is worth posting though, I reckon it's a strong contender for Urban 75 Anthem.
    (Don't play it loud in front of the kids, if you get what I mean :thumbs: )

Beyond the UK, and late favourite for my Album of the Year, Ruins of Beverast from this year (May) called Exuvia. Epic psychedelic doom. I can't really put it in words, so here it is in music.
    Fucking astonishingly good.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    Spandex likes this.
  27. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Les Amazones d'Afrique - République Amazone

This album has really grown on me. An all woman west African collective/supergroup campaigning for gender equality. This track is awesome: Dombolo

Jupiter & Okwess - Kin Sonic

And, from the DRC, this album is a blast. Love this: Ofakombolo

Buddy Bradley and crossthebreeze like this.
  28. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Any Hip Hop fans should definitely check out the Mahatma X album mentioned earlier on the Norman Records end of year post, it's great.

29. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

About 50% great, 50% could live without. But at the end of the day it's more Angel Olsen so I'm happy.

billy_bob likes this.
  30. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Somewhere under the raincloud

They've got a whole new album out, Night of the Living Electrical Appliances.

My copy just arrived in the post and yeah, it's fucking great.

ouchmonkey, Spandex and billy_bob like this.