1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album recommendations/heads up 2017: does what it says in the title

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by billy_bob, Jan 5, 2017.

1. billy_bob

billy_bob Flourishing both sides the Tweed

How many years running can I get away with starting this thread before people start tying me up and making me do it, like belboid and the Album of the Year?

Anyway, Newcastle-based Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs are about to release an album, Feed the Rats:

Grindy, lurchy, psychy and loud. Sounding promising. Reckon they'd be awesome live.

Also, simultaneous winners of best and worst band name of the thread so far :cool:

Threshers_Flail and Voley like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

I think my first gig of the year is going to be Pigsx7 at the Soup Kitchen with a load of other great bands later this month. They are splendid.

3. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

(I think they're on tour to promote this album, so are probably playing near you too.)

4. billy_bob

I'm in their neck of the woods (broadly speaking) so they certainly are ;)

5. evildacat

evildacat bunchie‑santa.gif

I'm waiting on the new bonobo album out in a few weeks migration per order the CD and Ltd edition vinyl with tour tickets last year think it's out on the 17th.

Jay Park and Riklet like this.
  6. evildacat

Tis the 13th sorry.

7. Voley

Voley If you're happy and you know it, fuck off.

I like the sound of them Pigs fellers billy_bob. Will keep an eye out for them, ta.

billy_bob likes this.
  8. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

New British Sea Power album out at the end of March.

dfm likes this.
  9. evildacat

Apparently a new spiritulized album due on the 20 th anniversary of ladies and gents

BassJunkie, Voley and The39thStep like this.
  10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

The xx have a new album out next week.

11. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Yes to Pigs x 7! They are touring with Tough Tits who are also ace.

12. killer b

killer b Ennui Rollins

Looking forward to the Tough Tits album, actually.

13. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

The single isn't very promising.

14. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg A powerhouse of a human and cannot be silenced

I love it! :)

15. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I'll be off to see the Pigs at the Lexington on the 21st Jan.... Looking forward to it.

16. evildacat

Anyone heard if LCD Sound system will be releasing any work this year ?

17. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

It's on spotify. Having a listen now and it's very nice.

18. billy_bob

Hurray for the Riff Raff - The Navigator.

Not out till March but she's touring the UK currently. American folk with Latin inflections (her background's Puerto Rican). This is like her fifth album or something but she's only been mentioned here once or twice. Really gets under your skin.

19. evildacat

Yeah was listening to it via a kink off his site, was expecting my physical copies this morning but didn't arrive annoyingly, heard the art work on the vinyl look very good. One of my favourite artist I have been following since about 2002ish.

The video for Kerala is very good if you haven't seen it yet well worth a watch.
    And in hearing the album really looking forward to the live show he is touring I'm going to in March. Last time I saw him with the live show he does was at Ally pally that was a great show.

20. evildacat

Heard a few songs off the album now very disappointed from what I have heard.

21. evildacat

Would love to see a live show of the ladies and gents album performed, see the video of this performance a fair few years ago in newyork with a full orchestra was a fantastic performance with a 15 minute version of home of the brave.

Keep looking for any new material from this new album but no luck yet, will keep an eye out though

22. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

I read in one of those 'things to look out for in 2017' articles that they'll be releasing a new album

23. evildacat

Been saying it for quiet a while, I think most people were expecting at least some material before Xmas given they regrouped almost a year ago now, with a bit of luck should be this year and hopefully will not damaged the quality of material they have released prior with sub par work.

24. evildacat

Are the chemical brothers expected to release a full album also this year or was C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L just a sole single release or an EP ?

25. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

Emptyset - Borders
    out in a couple of weeks

Kangding Ray - hyper opal mantis
    end of feb

souljacker likes this.
  26. Johnny Vodka

Johnny Vodka The Abominable Scotsman

Not a massive fan of The XX but love Jamie XX, his remix work and solo album. Their new album (which I'm currently Spotifying) seems to be influenced by Jamie's own album. Will need to listen a bit more before I can judge.

27. souljacker

souljacker and this is fresh

That kanding ray tune is very good.

28. evildacat

I find Jaime XX's production and releases a lot better than his djing. Seen him a couple of times where coming to the decks and within 3 songs has killed the rythem and flow the other DJ s had built up-to that point. He's an OK DJ technically but his choice of song selection has been woeful and feels like he is pushing what he wants to play without attempting to read the crowd.

29. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

I can't claim to know anything about this, I just saw a link, but it sounded good to me from the preview (and the description "cruising the highways and byways between proto-techno, horror disco and forlorn wave"":
    Timothy J. Fairplay Releasing Debut Album In February

Spandex and ouchmonkey like this.
  30. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Fucking awesome :thumbs:

I love Timothy J Fairplay.