Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations 2020

Indeliblelink

\..................................../
Sarah Mary Chadwick's album from last year made my end of year list, she has a new one out now which sounds pretty good.

Last edited:

stavros

The new Squarepusher is out today, and on first listen it's pretty good. It seems faster than a lot of his more recent ones, and a lot of fun. More bass noodling would've improved it still further.

Mattym

The new Squarepusher is out today, and on first listen it's pretty good. It seems faster than a lot of his more recent ones, and a lot of fun. More bass noodling would've improved it still further.
I'm not keen on the first two tracks- hope they'll grow on me.
The rest of the album is so much more cohesive & is great on first couple of listens.

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
Holy Fuck's fifth album, Deleter, just out. Not every track is blowing me away just yet, but this one's great.

billy_bob

Nel Unlit release their first album Wake for the Dreaming later this month and it's sounding great. If you like fellow north east folk arrangers the Unthanks you might like this.

Now that you've hopefully given it a listen first, it might be safer to whisper that it's ... a 'rock opera' concept album based on Gaiman's Sandman series. (Wait! Come back!)

The39thStep

After 16 years a new Girl Called Eddy album , if you like Chrissie Hynd type voices, Burt Bacharach type arrangements, Laura Nyro/Karen Carpenter influences then its a belter of melancholy reflective pop.

billy_bob

Debut album from Newcastle's Behold a Pale Horse, Today's News ... Stay Happy, out at the end of Feb. Been looking forward to this for ages since I found them through positive reviews in Echoes & Dust. Only one track up so far but it's a good one: mix of motorik beat and psych rock with a bit of shoegazey melody going on.

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
Stone Temple Pilots have a new one out, think it came out Friday. It's an interesting direction for them, very acoustic and melancholy - it reminds me a bit of the Mark Lanegan/Duke Garwood album from a few years ago, Black Pudding. On first listen through it was good but not great - maybe a few more listens will push it more in that direction.

stavros

AND Ian Mackaye & Amy Farina have done an album with Joe Lally: one track so far but it's a good one.

I'd heard about this, but couldn't find any recordings of it. There are very few things to dislike about Fugazi's whole back catalogue, so this sounds promising.

May Kasahara

give me something to sing about
I had never heard of Soko before just now, but I love love love this track. Album out in the autumn, apparently.