Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

FEVER 333 are reminiscent of Rage Against The Machine in their lyrics, half-rapped singing and heavy riffs, but a bit more emo in the choruses. The world needs more angry music though:

londonkid likes this.
  2. londonkid

londonkid Well-Known Member

Liking this

3. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Taking a moment (couple of hours) to go back through and listen to lots of recs - just bought both of these, thanks BB and b :D Really like them both.

Also bought the Self-Esteem album and Cate le Bon's new one, as well as a couple of Afghan Whigs albums because all my digi copies have mysteriously disappeared :hmm: Hence why I'm only up to page 6 of this thread, got another month till payday!

braindancer and Buddy Bradley like this.
  4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Rammstein's new one is very very...Rammstein.

5. May Kasahara

Man, this Self-Esteem album is GREAT.

6. May Kasahara

Better Oblivion Community Center album also excellent. This thread rules :cool:

7. May Kasahara

Listening to Smallpeople right now braindancer, it's fantastic :cool: Hypnotic, dubby and dreamy but still tough. 4am music :D Thanks so much for the quality recommendation!

8. Buddy Bradley

Good call, listening to it now. :cool: Doesn't really sound like anything else I can think of, hard to come up with comparisons.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    May Kasahara likes this.
  9. May Kasahara

Yeah, I know. And yet it really reminds me of someone :confused: :D Definite shades of Roisin Murphy, that lyrically resonant outsider disco thing. And her voice is quite similar to Nicola Roberts (ex of Girls Aloud and purveyor of one excellent solo drama-pop record).

10. Buddy Bradley

Signal-boosting this, as I didn't realise it was the same band that did 2017's Capacity which I really enjoyed.

dfm likes this.
  11. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

Grace Petrie's Queer as Folk deserves a mention. The production has smoothed off some of the rough edges of the live version, which I'd rather it hadn't. 'Black Tie's still a good track in the Billy Bragg vein.

12. May Kasahara

Buddy Bradley that's Adrienne Lenker's band, right? I loved her solo album from last year.

13. braindancer

braindancer not for long

It's great isn't it - I listen to it when I'm running :D. Their last album Salty Days from 2012 is also a blinder. Definitely recommend a listen....

May Kasahara likes this.
  14. Buddy Bradley

Adrianne Lenker, yes.

15. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I've been hammering Roisin Murphy's 'overpowered' in the car lately, will give this a spin later

May Kasahara likes this.
  16. May Kasahara

Overpowered is rarely off my phone music library :cool: alongside The Soft Pink Truth's 'Do You Party?'

17. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

You got me excited there, thinking the Soft Pink Truth had a new one out. I thought it unlikely, given Matmos released one a few months ago.

18. May Kasahara

If only! That album is so timelessly brilliant.

19. killer b

I have also been caning soft pink truth's 'do you want new wave...' album in the car lately too, coincidentally

May Kasahara likes this.
  20. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Lee Scratch Perry Adrian Sherwood produced Rainford

great video too

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  21. May Kasahara

New Cate le Bon is a mixed bag, on first few listens anyway. First three songs are staggeringly lovely, the rest a bit harder to love. Might be a grower though.

a_chap likes this.
  22. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Loving this album by Xianguy. Produced my the Wednesday Campanella's Kenmochi Hidufemi.

Thie videos are great too!

23. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Electronic/acoustic music from Chad (the country). This record is really growing on me.

nogojones likes this.
  24. stavros

25. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

Be lucky to get the vinyl of that apparently

26. sankara

Tip top Scottish west coast piping. If you like Gaelic folk, this Brighde Chaimbeul record is sublime

billy_bob likes this.
  27. killer b

Glad you're on the thread sankara, your end of year lineup last year was full of great stuff I missed. :cool:

sankara likes this.
  28. sankara

That's very sweet of you to say that. :D

You put me onto Jambinai a few years back on this thread. They have a new album out today I noticed. I haven't listened to it yet. I expect to like it though.

29. stavros

Plaid have a new one out today, and the reviews I've read have been largely complementary.

Indeliblelink likes this.
  30. Just came here to post about the Plaid album myself. Sounds like their best effort in a while.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019