Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

This from Filmmaker is rly good. Dark industrial synthpunk from Colombia. :cool:

billy_bob and crossthebreeze like this.
  2. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  3. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

The Budos Band - V

The Budos Band have been around for about 15 years; they were part of the 00s afrobeat revival along with acts like Antibalas. They released three great afro-soul albums, but then on their last album they added an unexpected new influence: 70s doom metal. And here they are again with more of their Orlando Julius meets early Black Sabbath sound.

4. Spandex

Le Superhomard - Meadow Lane Park

Gorgeous album of French psych-pop.

May Kasahara likes this.
  5. Spandex

Girl One & the Grease Guns - Transmissions from the Glass Factory

They're back with (they say) their final record. More early 80s synthpop meets Phil Spector girl group. I can't find any tracks online to post, so here's a trailer which gives the idea:

discobastard and billy_bob like this.
  6. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Enjoying this from Notts hip hop crew Last Sons.

7. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

It's too early to say that the whole album is as good as the tracks I've heard, but Fontaines D.C. sound awesome. As if Mark E Smith had been reborn in Dublin:

ddraig, billy_bob and The39thStep like this.
  8. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

New PJ Harvey album, soundtracking the play:

9. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Ooh, will have to give that a listen!

10. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

MAH is meh.

11. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

One of the weakest tracks. Still a great album, the first 4 tracks are belters!

12. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I'm just teasing. I just wanted to use that phrase. It doesn't really count as it's not an album, per se, but I really liked 'Brothers gonna work it out' mix from way back when.

13. copliker

copliker ...

I think Silverbacks will have an album out this year.

The39thStep likes this.
  14. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Life Metal - new album from Sunn O))) out today.

Immense!

billy_bob and sankara like this.
  15. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

They're selling Life Metal branded chocolate bars on the current tour.

[​IMG]

16. braindancer

braindancer not for long

I hope it's dark :D...

I've just got tickets for the London gig in October :thumbs:

17. killer b

I noticed there's a new Sunwatchers LP btw (haven't listened to it yet, just posting it here to remind me to listen tonight) - their last LP was amazing.

Illegal Moves, by Sunwatchers

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

New collaboration between Calexico and Iron & Wine out in June. Recent stuff of both has been pretty average but maybe they can inspire one another.

19. crossthebreeze

crossthebreeze Well-Known Member

Been jumping round the house to Rico Nasty/ Kenny Beats - Anger Management today

May Kasahara and nogojones like this.
  20. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

My not huge local HMV came up trumps and surprised me by having it. It's really rather good:

ddraig and flypanam like this.
  21. killer b

Listened, and it's great: free-jazz psych punk or something. Wicked.

Their saxophonist Jeff Tobias has some other interesting stuff out, this new tape with Thee Reps is real nice.

nogojones likes this.
  22. dialectician

dialectician The Main Enemy is at home.

23. Spandex

Randolph & Mortimer - Manifesto for a Modern World.

EBM, New Beat, Wax Trax records and a bit of that industrial flavoured techno that's around at the moment. Pounding electronics from Sheffield. Awesome.

Indeliblelink likes this.
  24. dialectician

i must admit i don't get the obsession with ebm in techno these days if I'm honest. it's like, good for 1-2 hours but it's all so stiff and regimented i couldn't imagine listening to it at home or in an album format. in the 80s it made sense as an outgrowth of exploring the idea of mechanisation but not sure these days. whereas the four-to-the-floor pound of house and techno has all sorts of inflections in the beats, high hats and tom-toms.

25. Spandex

I guess it's just a new generation of producers discovering a sound that hasn't been completely rinsed for the past 25 or 30 years.

While EBM was hugely influential from '81 to '90 most of the scene defected to trance & techno in the early 90s leaving the remnants to plod on in a more rock orientated direction that had nothing to do with rave. There's been flurries of interest in the original '81-'90 sound from time to time since then - DJ Hell playing it in his sets in the early 00s, the Endurance Club in London from '09 to '13, house acts like Hardway Bros in the early '00s - but it's never had the sustained presence of many other styles of dance music. And the original scene wasn't huge - it's not like house or disco where you could spend a lifetime discovering lost tunes.

With the renewed interest in EBM recently there's a lot of good stuff about. Sure, there's a load of clag too, but that's always true with any currently hip sound. Acts like Boy Harsher, Multiple Man and Schwefelgelb are all coming to the sound from different directions meaning there's some variety about if you look for it.

dialectician likes this.
  26. dialectician

I mean I like the 80s stuff but am not fussed on really chasing it up, mainly because personally for me chicago acid and hard techno assimilated the best aspects of it. I guess my taste can be summed up as 'industrial funk.' not much of it about in dance music these days, that's why i seem to be listening to a lot of house on the radio. not that I have an issue with that...

Spandex likes this.
  27. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

It really fucking is, isn't it? Is it me or is it waaaay better than her previous stuff?

28. billy_bob

About 75% of the new music I discover I like comes from these yearly threads these days. The other 25% is the stuff I post in them myself.

May Kasahara likes this.
  29. billy_bob

This was the first track by them I heard, on 6 music I think. I've heard a few others since which haven't quite lived up to it, but they've got something.

kropotkin and stavros like this.
  30. billy_bob

discobastard, might be up your street ...?

discobastard likes this.