Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Husband really rates These New Puritans' latest offering. I'm not convinced, but you might be.

2. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Dababy "baby on baby". rap with very un pc lyrics. good beats. i dunno, I like this stuff but I am not going to defend it ever.

3. May Kasahara

Experimental folk band Heilung have got a new album coming out in June. Am digging the live album very much, so will look forward to hearing that.

As an aside, the comments on this video are :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :D

littleseb and nogojones like this.
  4. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

upload_2019-4-5_12-6-2.png

:D

Favelado, dfm and May Kasahara like this.
  5. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Bogdan Raczynski- Rave 'Till You Cry

rutabowa likes this.
  6. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I'll say it if no one else will, the new mekons one is fantastic - proper mekons. Did you mean the wapping project regarding LC? Well looking forward to that.

The39thStep likes this.
  7. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Yes wicked
    AND ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE ha

8. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Alright, fun police! :)

rutabowa likes this.
  9. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Its so good anyway tho

Mattym likes this.
  10. S☼I

S☼I .

Little Simz' third album, GREY Area, is fucking belting. Here she is doing one of the tracks,Venom, live in a studio:

11. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

I've just been listening to this.

It's a great come back for the series after a 23 year break. One the one hand it does what Pay It All Back comps have always done - dub and electronics - but at the same time it reflects what's been going on since vol 6 came out in 96, like DnB, dubstep & grime.

Vol 2 has always been my favourite (Train to Doomsville!).

ddraig likes this.
  12. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Re LC I meant this one - The Sky Untuned, which I think is different from the Wapping stuff, but I could be wrong.

13. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

I'll have to give this a listen . Vol3 was my fave .

Spandex likes this.
  14. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

The way she sings the word 'acetone' on the song 'Acetone' is my favourite thing so far this year.

e2a: I've now overplayed it and I keep hearing it in my head and now I think I've probably ruined it :facepalm:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. S☼I

S☼I .

Have to say I expected this to be terrible. Pleasantly surprised. Probably wouldn't buy it but it's very interesting.
    Having been in the back of vans with 5-8 other people and a drumkit I hope they don't have to travel with their stage gear

16. May Kasahara

When Mr K first told me about it, I also expected it to be terrible. But I love it now. We're actually going to see them live in November! Full sweat lodge experience :D

nogojones and S☼I like this.
  17. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

American Pleasure Club's new one is an interesting listen.

18. butchersapron

On reflex, this is great

19. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

The new Chemical Brothers album is their best in ages!

Favelado likes this.
  20. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

I've got this post rock/post classical/post folk album on this afternoon. Very nice.

billy_bob likes this.
  21. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

I really like the sound they're making. But they don't half look like a bunch of bellends.

SpookyFrank and S☼I like this.
  22. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank Whatever it is, I'm against it

Music is a rich kid's game these days. Bellendery abounds.

23. killer b

Rich kids and middle aged men IME. Music with instruments anyway, electronic music is relatively egalitarian.

Favelado likes this.
  24. Favelado

Favelado Half to the Tower, please.

I can almost hear the collective tut as I post this... but that Chemical Brothers album is much better than it has any right to be. I was bored of the very idea of them, but thought I'd give it a shot and was surprised at how good it was.

25. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

King Champion Sounds - For a Lark

Cheating because it came out last year, but I only came across this because they're touring shortly. I see they got some Urban mentions in 2014 for earlier work, but nothing in 2018. If you don't like the track above, give one of the others a try before you make up your mind: they have one of those lists of influences that give you no clue what the band actually sounds like:

26. butchersapron

Is good, don't recognise any of the above in it though! And there is one song where because of the accent the chorus sems to go big red bottoms. One killer track (low hanging fruit).

27. killer b

billy_bob likes this.
  28. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

No tuts from me, I posted that it was good a few posts up. Their best for ages.

29. Favelado

He's turned into the fashion mogul from Zoolander.

30. Favelado

This thread is more useful than any Quietus /Pitchfork. Quicker than reading six form wibblings of the Tarquins who write for the former as well.