Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations 2019

rutabowa

LOSE IT
Dababy "baby on baby". rap with very un pc lyrics. good beats. i dunno, I like this stuff but I am not going to defend it ever.

May Kasahara

give me something to sing about
Experimental folk band Heilung have got a new album coming out in June. Am digging the live album very much, so will look forward to hearing that.

As an aside, the comments on this video are :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :D

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
Sherwood / On-U have relaunched the 'pay it all back' series. Looks good.

I've just been listening to this.

It's a great come back for the series after a 23 year break. One the one hand it does what Pay It All Back comps have always done - dub and electronics - but at the same time it reflects what's been going on since vol 6 came out in 96, like DnB, dubstep & grime.

Vol 2 has always been my favourite (Train to Doomsville!).

The39thStep

I've just been listening to this.

It's a great come back for the series after a 23 year break. One the one hand it does what Pay It All Back comps have always done - dub and electronics - but at the same time it reflects what's been going on since vol 6 came out in 96, like DnB, dubstep & grime.

Vol 2 has always been my favourite (Train to Doomsville!).
I'll have to give this a listen . Vol3 was my fave .

SpookyFrank

Self-cleaning oven, the whole bit.
Out soon: Du Blonde - Lung Bread for Daddy

Lots of mentions years back on Urban for Beth Jeans Houghton, not so many now she's Du Blonde. I've only heard a couple of tracks so far but it's promising. Fans of later Angel Olson may be interested.
The way she sings the word 'acetone' on the song 'Acetone' is my favourite thing so far this year.

e2a: I've now overplayed it and I keep hearing it in my head and now I think I've probably ruined it :facepalm:

Last edited:

S☼I

hero of the quiet afternoon
Experimental folk band Heilung have got a new album coming out in June. Am digging the live album very much, so will look forward to hearing that.

As an aside, the comments on this video are :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :D
Have to say I expected this to be terrible. Pleasantly surprised. Probably wouldn't buy it but it's very interesting.
Having been in the back of vans with 5-8 other people and a drumkit I hope they don't have to travel with their stage gear

May Kasahara

give me something to sing about
Have to say I expected this to be terrible. Pleasantly surprised. Probably wouldn't buy it but it's very interesting.
Having been in the back of vans with 5-8 other people and a drumkit I hope they don't have to travel with their stage gear
When Mr K first told me about it, I also expected it to be terrible. But I love it now. We're actually going to see them live in November! Full sweat lodge experience :D

Favelado

Half to the Tower, please.
I can almost hear the collective tut as I post this... but that Chemical Brothers album is much better than it has any right to be. I was bored of the very idea of them, but thought I'd give it a shot and was surprised at how good it was.

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
King Champion Sounds - For a Lark

Cheating because it came out last year, but I only came across this because they're touring shortly. I see they got some Urban mentions in 2014 for earlier work, but nothing in 2018. If you don't like the track above, give one of the others a try before you make up your mind: they have one of those lists of influences that give you no clue what the band actually sounds like:

Touching on the jams created by The Fall, Can, Sun Ra, Captain Beefheart, Public Image Limited, King Tubby, this band will set your pulse racing.

butchersapron

blood on the walls
Is good, don't recognise any of the above in it though! And there is one song where because of the accent the chorus sems to go big red bottoms. One killer track (low hanging fruit).

mwgdrwg

Be a Pisces. Jam.
I can almost hear the collective tut as I post this... but that Chemical Brothers album is much better than it has any right to be. I was bored of the very idea of them, but thought I'd give it a shot and was surprised at how good it was.
No tuts from me, I posted that it was good a few posts up. Their best for ages.