Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

I was just coming on here to mention it was out now. Highly Deadly Black Tarantula was a lot to live up to, but I'll be surprised if this isn't in my top 5 by the end of the year.

I love that their blurb on Bandcamp mentions both Delia Derbyshire and the Butthole Surfers as influences.

Threshers_Flail and Part 2 like this.
  2. copliker

copliker ...

3. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

This one is a reissue/archival dig rather than a new one... Rema-Rema's 'debut' album Fond Reflections. Tarantula bass, Mo Tucker drumming, weird keyboard sounds, dirty noise guitar and a singer channelling Peter O'Toole for his 'poetry'. All recorded in 1979 (I think) and more than holds its own with contemporaries PiL, The Pop Group, Gang of Four, Wire etc.

The best songs on the 2CD set are Why Ask Why and No Applause which aren't available on sample so you'll have to make do with 'Instrumental' from the original 1980 EP (released after they'd split up) instead. Good enough but the aforementioned pair are on a different level.

4. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

Out soon: Du Blonde - Lung Bread for Daddy

Lots of mentions years back on Urban for Beth Jeans Houghton, not so many now she's Du Blonde. I've only heard a couple of tracks so far but it's promising. Fans of later Angel Olson may be interested.

SpookyFrank likes this.
  5. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

This is really excellent :) So much good music this year! And it's only March.

6. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

7. a_chap

a_chap Much research has shown I am just fucking stupid

8. killer b

There's a big experimental doom folk kraut no wave psych scene in Newcastle Upon Tyne (where Box Records is based).

crossthebreeze, billy_bob and a_chap like this.
  9. killer b

(Box Records is run by Matt Baty from urb favourites Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs)

billy_bob likes this.
  10. ska invita

ska invita back on the other side

I wish you wouldnt keep saying 'lads' KB - i know urban can like a boys club in parts, but its not just male posters here

11. killer b

'Lads' is unisex in contemporary internet slang.

Sweet FA and dialectician like this.
  12. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Finally got this tape in post... this is really good, wasn't sure how quality would be as its a load of one off pseudonyms, but there is awesome stuff. This tune is heavy

magneze likes this.
  13. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

... and despite ostensibly being a compilation rather than a single artist album, I am fairly sure many, if not all, the tracks are products of the same studio/mind!

14. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

New Cinematic Orchestra isn't bad:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  15. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Pas Musique - The phoenix

Made the usual Saturday morning shop, much more enjoyable than it needed to be. Think Faust mixed with a touch of Throbbing gristle.

16. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

A grime intrumental comp from No Hats No Hoods, including productions from Proc Fiscal, Dexplicit and Blakie. Combo of grime and traditional Ethiopian instruments

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Patteran, sankara and rutabowa like this.
  17. flypanam

flypanam designated title: local oaf

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Not listened to this yet (and TBH considering their recent stuff I'm somewhat skeptical) but Mercury Rev have "re-imagined" a Bobbie Gentry album

Obviously source material is great.
    (ouchmonkey you heard this yet?)

a_chap likes this.
  19. a_chap

Will listen to this (probably at full volume!) tomorrow. Was only listening to The Delta Sweete last week...

Bobbie Gentry; the Kate Bush of her generation :thumbs:

20. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Not a patch on originally but better than I thought it might be (especially considering Mercury Rev's recent output). Some impressive names for the female vocals.

21. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Here’s some nice Eastern European influenced folk.

May Kasahara likes this.
  22. a_chap

That album is hugely disappointing. I wouldn't choose to listen to any of those tracks again (even the lovely Beth Orton's voice has been massacred) :( The sole exception is the track "Tobacco Road" (Susanne Sundfor) which is pretty good.

And, in an act of sheer sacrilege, "Ode to Billie Joe" (Lucinda Williams) is quite staggeringly awful :mad:

23. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

I prefer folk doom pysch-metal-dubtronica myself.

I also find disparaging racial epithets somewhat passé.

24. killer b

You could say 'progressive and electronic music from Germany in the 1970s and stuff influenced by it' if you prefer. Good luck getting that to catch on.

25. killer b

fwiw I don't think kraut as a diminutive of krautrock really is a disparaging racial epithet. Words mean different things in different contexts.

dialectician and Threshers_Flail like this.
  26. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

He called a guitar an axe the other month.

27. killer b

28. SpookyFrank

SpookyFrank If it's alive, don't lick it.

And of course what does or doesn't catch on is the only issue here.

29. killer b

30. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Some good tracks on it, but my mind has not been blown by the new Karen O and Dangermouse record.