Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations 2019

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
New Teeth of the Sea...

I was just coming on here to mention it was out now. Highly Deadly Black Tarantula was a lot to live up to, but I'll be surprised if this isn't in my top 5 by the end of the year.

I love that their blurb on Bandcamp mentions both Delia Derbyshire and the Butthole Surfers as influences.

Casual Observer

binoculars
This one is a reissue/archival dig rather than a new one... Rema-Rema's 'debut' album Fond Reflections. Tarantula bass, Mo Tucker drumming, weird keyboard sounds, dirty noise guitar and a singer channelling Peter O'Toole for his 'poetry'. All recorded in 1979 (I think) and more than holds its own with contemporaries PiL, The Pop Group, Gang of Four, Wire etc.

The best songs on the 2CD set are Why Ask Why and No Applause which aren't available on sample so you'll have to make do with 'Instrumental' from the original 1980 EP (released after they'd split up) instead. Good enough but the aforementioned pair are on a different level.

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
Out soon: Du Blonde - Lung Bread for Daddy

Lots of mentions years back on Urban for Beth Jeans Houghton, not so many now she's Du Blonde. I've only heard a couple of tracks so far but it's promising. Fans of later Angel Olson may be interested.

rutabowa

LOSE IT
... and despite ostensibly being a compilation rather than a single artist album, I am fairly sure many, if not all, the tracks are products of the same studio/mind!

flypanam

Docile slug
Pas Musique - The phoenix

Made the usual Saturday morning shop, much more enjoyable than it needed to be. Think Faust mixed with a touch of Throbbing gristle.

redsquirrel

This Machine Kills Progressives
Not listened to this yet (and TBH considering their recent stuff I'm somewhat skeptical) but Mercury Rev have "re-imagined" a Bobbie Gentry album

Obviously source material is great.
(ouchmonkey you heard this yet?)

a_chap

When the world came apart, where were you?
Will listen to this (probably at full volume!) tomorrow. Was only listening to The Delta Sweete last week...

Bobbie Gentry; the Kate Bush of her generation :thumbs:

redsquirrel

This Machine Kills Progressives
Will listen to this (probably at full volume!) tomorrow. Was only listening to The Delta Sweete last week...

Bobbie Gentry; the Kate Bush of her generation :thumbs:
Not a patch on originally but better than I thought it might be (especially considering Mercury Rev's recent output). Some impressive names for the female vocals.

a_chap

When the world came apart, where were you?
Not a patch on originally but better than I thought it might be (especially considering Mercury Rev's recent output). Some impressive names for the female vocals.
That album is hugely disappointing. I wouldn't choose to listen to any of those tracks again (even the lovely Beth Orton's voice has been massacred) :( The sole exception is the track "Tobacco Road" (Susanne Sundfor) which is pretty good.

And, in an act of sheer sacrilege, "Ode to Billie Joe" (Lucinda Williams) is quite staggeringly awful :mad:

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
You could say 'progressive and electronic music from Germany in the 1970s and stuff influenced by it' if you prefer. Good luck getting that to catch on.