Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Seen John a few times live - they're great....

I'm John. He's John. We're John :D

stavros likes this.
  2. The39thStep

The39thStep Well-Known Member

This is really good , 3 tracks 3 different composers/artists. Relaxing at the same time draws you in deeper and deeper

3. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

I saw a band called John a few years ago, apparently the was two bands called John operating in London at the time - I wonder which won the battle of the Johns?

4. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

John, probably.

May Kasahara likes this.
  5. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

The losers presumably now have to call themselves Balham John or somesuch, with a devastating knock-on effect on their popularity

6. copliker

copliker ...

I saw a video of Brazilian women making a terrific racket in the street a few years ago and it turned out to be Rakta here who got a mention in the Guardian yesterday.

billy_bob likes this.
  7. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Marco Passarani's album W.O.W. sounds good. Acid, Chicago house, Italo, etc.

Only heard a few tunes in their entirety and clips for the rest but I think I'll be grabbing this.

8. Buddy Bradley

Buddy Bradley Pantheistic solipsist

New Swans album out today:

It's a lot less abrasive than their last few, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Lorca likes this.
  9. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Sounds great!!!

Fez909 likes this.
  10. stavros

I only stumbled upon this when I heard a track playing in HMV, which sounded reminiscent of A Forest-era Cure. I asked the manager who it was, and I'm pleased to say the whole album is excellent. This is a taster:

billy_bob and Buddy Bradley like this.
  11. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Good album & good live. Saw them last week.

12. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

Saw them at End of the Road, and got tickets to see then next year. One of my favourite albums of 2019.

13. gawkrodger

gawkrodger Well-Known Member

the new Keaton Henson LP 'Six Lethargies' is wonderful

as is the new Alcest LP

14. Buddy Bradley

The Cure jamming with IDLES.

15. Buddy Bradley

Well they're super-easy to find on Spotify search... /s

16. killer b

I've got the new Portico Quartet LP on - concerned it might be a bit polite, but it sounds good. Jazz/mininmalist/live drum & bass stuff

17. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

the lavender flu put out my top album of 2016... fried, opiated experimental exgarage punk... their next album was a bit less interesting and more song-based. but now they just self released a new guitar-free weird synth freeform set, and it sounds killler! i think they have another on In The Red coming that will be more predictable

18. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Thanks for the heads up, completely missed this. Not listened to it yet but Gira talked about a change in direction and I don't think that would necessarily be a bad thing. The My Father ... - The Glowing Man period was great but did feel like it had come to a natural end.
    Good music to work to IMO. (Think that might come across as a bit patronising/dismissive but I didn't mean it to be)

19. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Just popping in to say Richard Dawson is my new fav, can't believe I haven't checked his out stuff before. 2020 is great, as are his Hen Ogledd stuff and Peasant.

And I'm seeing him live next month. :cool:

20. dfm

dfm help I'm alive

New A Winged Victory For The Sullen album out tomorrow:

flypanam, mwgdrwg and redsquirrel like this.
  21. sankara

sankara Well-Known Member

Instra:mental have released an album. All of the material is 10ish years old - half of it unreleased, half of it released on single at the time. All of it total gold.

22. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

Heard this playing in cex in Brighton. I remembered a couple of lyrics and looked them up.
    Turns out they were new band and had not released anything, and it was just luck that they had posted up some lyrics on the internet. No idea how they came to be playing over the speakers in a cex.

Anyway, fast forward a year and they have self released their album on bandcamp.
    I would have preferred they kept off a few of the duff tracks, but unfortunately from what I gather most of the duff ones are their favourites.

23. ATOMIC SUPLEX

ATOMIC SUPLEX Member Since: 1985 Post Count: 3

. Dupe

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  24. killer b

I've got this tape on today from Hattie Cooke: soundtracky electro-disco stuff (she had a nice electro-pop album out a couple of years ago that's worth your time too)

The39thStep and Spandex like this.
  25. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

I like it. Just been listening to this:

26. killer b

Giant Swan's debut LP is released this week - seems unlikely it'll be =as good as their live shows (which are mindblowing), but the two tracks you can hear here sound great. EBMish noisy techno.

27. stavros

There's been somewhat of a shoegaze revival in the past few years, with not only MBV, Slowdive and Ride releasing new stuff, but also new bands, like Pinkshinyultrablast, Venera 4 and Westkust. This is a pretty decent addition from the States:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    The39thStep likes this.
  28. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

anyone who is vaguely into this kind of stuff and london-based should def follow Static Shock Records, he puts on amazingly consistent 100% gold bills of bands every time he does a gig (which is still pretty often, if not quite as crazy often as a few years ago), and used to do a yearly 3 day venue based festival that was my way of keeping up with the latest diy punk-type bands from all around the world. actually even if you're not london-based it is still a good idea listening to every band he puts on as he always catches stuff like this early and has immaculate taste. Rakta have played a few times Static Shock Records

29. killer b

Second album of 2019 from Jane Weaver, a new soundtrack to classic Hungarian psychedelic cartoon Feherlofia. Great again.

sankara and billy_bob like this.
  30. copliker

copliker ...

stavros and belboid like this.