Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. billy_bob

billy_bob contents may have settled during transit

Cemican - In Ohtli Teoyohtica In Miquiztli

I'm not sure if this quite works but I felt it was my duty to listen to and repost something that calls itself Aztec Folk Metal.

rutabowa likes this.
  2. billy_bob

Lower Slaughter - Some Things Take Work

3. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

yep I'm not sure it's exactly "good" but it definitely gave me at least 5 minutes of hilarity so def worth posting.

oof they've been going for a while too.

4. billy_bob

New Angel Olsen - always a good thing

May Kasahara, dfm and mwgdrwg like this.
  5. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Just stumbled across this tonight and came to see if anyone else had mentioned it.

Lovely, lovely stuff :thumbs:

It's on Spotify, too:

Spandex and Indeliblelink like this.
  6. on a similar tip to above -
    Special Request - Bedroom Tapes
    More 90s ambient techno, as the name suggests these are early recordings from cassettes producer Paul Woolford discovered while moving house.

RX-101 - Dopemine
    RX101 has a done a few albums of Aphex Twin soundalikes and his latest sounds like a tribute to SAW1, while he's no Richard James it's still nice stuff.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Spandex and Fez909 like this.
  7. flypanam

flypanam Docile slug

Sandro Perri's - soft landing is on repeat play in our flat at the moment. A brilliant piece of work.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

ohh, the new Gruff Rhys is out today. Let's stick it on, see what's what

mwgdrwg likes this.
  9. Virtual Blue

Virtual Blue ready

Tool Fear Inoculum, best stuff I've heard in ages.

10. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

It's amazing the amount of producers who keep on finding lost treasure. I was reading one the other day where a producer had just found a few boxes of a certain EP. Is it really that easy to lose a 'few boxes' of something that big? Matches, yes, records????
    Just bought tickets to see Woolford in a woods in Notts. I see he has another album on the way.

11. Athos

Athos Well-Known Member

New Alex Cameron record out today!

12. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

Well, I'm no producer, but I have - no exageration - over 500 tunes in various stages of completeness.

99.99% of them are utter shite, of course, and the other 1% still aren't great, but that's a lot of music. I'm 37 and I think I started dabbling with electronic music when I was around 16/17. So 20 years.

Now, imagine you're actually good. Good enough to get paid to make music. Good enough that you don't need a 'real' job. So you can just bash out tunes all day long every day.

And Woolford is older than me. So he's got 20 years a minimum, of all day, uninterrupted, tune making (potentially). And if you're as good as he clearly is, then a fair few of your 500, 1000...10,000? :hmm: unfinished tunes you have lying around, might end up being actually quite decent?

May Kasahara likes this.
  13. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Mr K estimates he's got around 50gb of unfinished projects knocking around on the hard drive. And that's without all the stuff he deletes as he goes along.

Fez909 likes this.
  14. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

I can see what you mean. It wasn't actually Woolford, somebody with much more experience (in terms of years). I suppose you get little insights into it from time to time when Aphex/U-ziq & the like open their vaults on Soundcloud.I get how digitally you may rediscover stuff. I find tracks everyday on my hd which I had forgotten about. I still think it would be hard to lose boxes of records- promo EPs, I think it was, unless they are with a record company. Don't think that was mentioned.

Fez909 likes this.
  15. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

That's why I couldn't produce. I couldn't delete anything because you might have a different appreciation of those deleted items at some point in the future (Excuses, excuses).

16. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Charli XCX's new one came out yesterday, and on first listen it is some very good, shape-shifting future-pop.

May Kasahara likes this.
  17. May Kasahara

Yeah, might have to get that stavros - I like her a lot, and 1999 is a stone cold banger :D

stavros likes this.
  18. May Kasahara

This is great. Aargh, need more money!

billy_bob likes this.
  19. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

The album's not perfect, and could do with shortening a bit. Nonetheless, it taps into my somewhat dormant pop passion.

May Kasahara likes this.
  20. D'wards

D'wards I'm an excellent driver

In just listened to one of his songs that had the line "greed for money, gas like jews".

What a cunt

21. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Never actually noticed that, thanks for pointing it out.

Edit: Are you sure its not "gas like juice"? Thats what it sounds like more to me.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    D'wards likes this.
  22. D'wards

On the song TN Biscuits. See if you think that's what he's saying - sure sounds like it

23. sim667

Sounds like "juice" to me :confused:

slowthai - T N Biscuits Lyrics | AZLyrics.com

T N Biscuits Lyrics - Slowthai | PhoneLyrics

T N BISCUITS Lyrics - SLOWTHAI | eLyrics.net

D'wards likes this.
  24. copliker

copliker ...

It's joos. The vid gives it away. Fake hardman gibberish whichever it is.

D'wards likes this.
  25. D'wards

26. killer b

killer b Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy

Well, it's either fake hardman gibberish or fake nazi hardman gibberish - probably best be 100% on which it is before going in on it tbh.

27. sim667

I don't think he's the type for double meanings tbh.

D'wards likes this.
  28. copliker

copliker ...

Those lyrics sites are not reliable. Genius.com has this.

slowthai twat.jpg

29. sim667

If you search the lyric, there's page which has it as "jews", there's a plethora of pages with juice, and it does sound like juice in the tune...... I highly suspect its not nazi-esque....... I very much doubt you'd get a nazi making tunes with grime artists like skepta and jaykae

30. sim667

And this is different to other lyrics sites in its reliability, how?