Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations 2019

ATOMIC SUPLEX

I really like this cheekface album but annoyingly it's only available as a download. Boo.

Is that what the kids do these days?

mwgdrwg

Be a Pisces. Jam.
I didn't make it through the first track - should I have persevered?
It's a very mixed bag indeed.

There are some great tracks (Future Love, Clouds of Saint Marie, Eternal Recurrence), some interesting tracks (Fifteen Minutes), unfortunately there's also some absolute stinkers (R.I.D.E., Repetition).

braindancer

not for long
It's a very mixed bag indeed.

There are some great tracks (Future Love, Clouds of Saint Marie, Eternal Recurrence), some interesting tracks (Fifteen Minutes), unfortunately there's also some absolute stinkers (R.I.D.E., Repetition).
I did listen to it on the train to work this morning. That opening track, R.I.D.E., certainly wasn't any better on a second listen - ugh, it's hideous - but after that there were a few good 'uns. Overall though I found it very under-whelming though. I didn't like Weather Diaries at all either.

When the urge to stick some Ride on hits I'll be sticking to the oldies.

sankara

It's too early to say that the whole album is as good as the tracks I've heard, but Fontaines D.C. sound awesome. As if Mark E Smith had been reborn in Dublin:

I expected to be a bit underwhelmed by the this record after hearing descriptions of it. But despite not being anything new or particularly interesting, they do what they do very well with some catchy as fuck hooks which I always appreciate in a pop record.

stavros

The second Tropical Fuck Storm album came out today, and on first listen it's a decent follow-up to last year's excellent debut:

Hollis

Bloody furious
I did listen to it on the train to work this morning. That opening track, R.I.D.E., certainly wasn't any better on a second listen - ugh, it's hideous - but after that there were a few good 'uns. Overall though I found it very under-whelming though. I didn't like Weather Diaries at all either.

When the urge to stick some Ride on hits I'll be sticking to the oldies.
That's about my take - I've stuck it on 3-4 times in bed, and ended up going to sleep very quickly. So it's good for something.

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
Ghost Funk Orchestra- A Song for Paul

Here's some groovy New York psych-funk. I dont know anything about the band but the album's great.

Here's Walk Like a Motherfucker:

braindancer

not for long
Oi oi!

This album out today is a right royal rave memory trip covering all bases from jungle, house, garage and a splash of dubstep. I've been rushing hard while knocking up the family pizzas....

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
Bat For Lashes - Lost Girls

For the last decade I've found Natasha Khan's music more interesting than something I want to listen to. But now she makes up for it with a fantastic synthpop album that's the most 80s thing made since the last series of Stranger Things. It's a very VHS view of the 80s, as the title hints: all girl biker gangs in LA after dark and vampires in the desert. Apparently she went to LA to work in Hollywood, and ended up in the studio recording this album for fun, with no expectations on her or pressure from a label. Trigger warning: the track Vampires has an 80s sax solo.