Album Recommendations 2019

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by Buddy Bradley, Jan 4, 2019.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Fat white family were the winners of 2015, sleaford mods 2016 as I recall.

mwgdrwg and killer b like this.
  2. killer b

killer b Nostrofuckingdamus

3. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

Care to to suggest anything else I might like?

I think I listen to quite a bit of new music. I listen to 6 Music quite a bit and really haven’t heard anything noteworthy in ages, except maybe Shame’s last album but that’s over a year ago now. I didn’t dig Fat White Family much nor Sleaford Mods.

4. May Kasahara

May Kasahara humans are too delicious

Ooh, MP is much beloved by one of my favourite bands ever, Slow Mass (whose incredible album On Watch you all cruelly ignored last year :mad:) so I am now listening and am well into this :thumbs:

Buddy Bradley likes this.
  5. killer b

well... if I'd only heard one new band of note in a year on the radio station I was listening to, I'd probably try a different radio station.

(I've posted most of the albums I've been into this year so far on this thread, but I'm not sure which ones you'd like, if any)

(I'm not slagging of Fontaines DC btw, who are a decent enough band - but it's totally impossible that out of the many millions of hours of new music that's come out in the past year, you wouldn't absolutely love loads of it - it's just a matter of getting it to your ears)

6. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

Actually I just gave fontaines dc a proper listen finally because of thread... it does have some fucking great songs in, and it is a indeed a v exciting sound!

I always get into these bands tho ha

marshall likes this.
  7. May Kasahara

New Inspectah Deck out now.

mwgdrwg likes this.
  8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

9. killer b

Dunno, not checked them out yet - should I?

10. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

The first song on the album is great, nice Swervedriverish guitars. The best track by absolute miles though.

11. twistedAM

Yeah bunch of teenage/20-year old south Londoners making pretty complex noise. It is number 1 on the Quietus list after all so prob worth a check.

12. twistedAM

Ha. That's one of my least favourite (probably cos I have seen them do it live so many times and like the newer ones like Near Dt, MI and Western)

13. Casual Observer

Casual Observer binoculars

Bending the rules a bit but the last Normil Hawaiians album (What's Going On?) is being reissued this month. Early 80s post-punk legends that practically no one has ever heard of.

To get myself in the mood, I've been listening to More Wealth Than Money, their epic double album debut, reissued a couple of years ago.

Play Sally IV (from More Wealth Than Money) and pretend you always liked them.

14. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

a friend of mine highly recommended the 3 Points Festival, but I don't think I can be asked going all the way to Miami for a festival.

pardon likes this.
  15. killer b

this is good ta. I think reissues are ok in this thread fwiw - just in the album of the year thread they're excluded.

16. killer b

dfm and May Kasahara like this.
  17. copliker

copliker ...

Yola - Walk Through Fire. Very good murricana via bristol album.

pardon and May Kasahara like this.
  18. Spandex

Spandex A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound

Rod Modell - Captagon

Rod Modell has carved out a space in techno over the last 20 years as part of Echospace, Deepcord and various other aliases, making foggy, minimal, hissing semi-ambient dub techno. So his new album is a bit of a change, taking his usual sounds and making a pounding 140 to 150 bpm techno album.

Here's the completely awesome Air-Port:

19. Guts - Philantropiques
    This is going well with the hot weather, French/Afro/Carribean jazz house.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  20. May Kasahara

Finally got round to the Little Simz album and it is indeed really excellent :thumbs:

21. rutabowa

rutabowa LOSE IT

22. May Kasahara

New Cult of Luna album in September, apparently.

23. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Eluvium did a new piano one. It's superb.

24. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

doggerel, fontaines dc, some cracking songs, others less so, but still a bit of a rush

stavros likes this.
  25. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty much excellent throughout.

Mattym likes this.
  26. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

^ I imagine the ones I'm not so down with at the mo' will prove growers.

27. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

Cherubs' Immaculada High is lovely and noisy on the first listen:

billy_bob likes this.
  28. killer b

No music yet, but I've pre-ordered this new LP on God Unknown blind - a collab between Ex Easter Island Head, Laura Cannell and Charles Hayward can't really be anything other than brill can it?

Whistling Arrow, by Whistling Arrow

redsquirrel likes this.
  29. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Oh sounds good.

30. May Kasahara

Still not sure if EPs count, but Charlotte Adigery's EP is excellent.

a_chap likes this.