Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Album Recommendations 2019

billy_bob

contents may have settled during transit
Thread's off to a cracking start.

I'm consistently the only person here who shows any interest in Soap&Skin, and this was released last year so I'm doubly ignorable, but if you're up for something really dismal (I usually am) this album's worth a go - From Gas to Solid / You Are My Friend

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
Hama - Houmeissa

Niger isn't a country noted for it's electronic music, but here's Hama re-imagining nomadic herding ballads, ancient caravan songs and ceremonial wedding chants with his keyboard and a hacked copy of Fruityloops. It ends up sounding like a cross between synthwave and early Carl Craig.

Spandex

A crazy bulbous punchbag of sound
STUMM433

Mute Records' forthcoming comp has an amazing lineup:

A Certain Ratio, A.C. Marias, ADULT., The Afghan Whigs, Alexander Balanescu, Barry Adamson, Ben Frost, Bruce Gilbert, Cabaret Voltaire, Carter Tutti Void, Chris Carter, Chris Liebing, Cold Specks, Daniel Blumberg, Depeche Mode, Duet Emmo, Echoboy, Einstürzende Neubauten, Erasure, Fad Gadget (tribute), Goldfrapp, He Said, Irmin Schmidt, Josh T. Pearson, K Á R Y Y N, Komputer, Laibach, Land Observations, Lee Ranaldo, Liars, Looper, Lost Under Heaven, Maps, Mark Stewart, Michael Gira, Mick Harvey, Miranda Sex Garden, Moby, Modey Lemon, Mountaineers, New Order, Nitzer Ebb, NON, Nonpareils, The Normal, onDeadWaves, Phew, Pink Grease, Pole, Polly Scattergood, Renegade Soundwave, Richard Hawley, ShadowParty, Silicon Teens, Simon Fisher Turner, The Warlocks, Wire, Yann Tiersen

All covering John Cage's 4'33'' :D

The deluxe vinyl boxset is over £130 for 50 versions of 4'33" of silence :hmm: I suspect the videos may be more rewarding that the album. Here's Laibach's version...

killer b

Minimum Waste / Maximum Joy
It's a vaguely amusing joke, but about 50 years old surely? Incredible that they would follow through with it in 2019.

Only two minutes into my first listen but am liking the new Dead C album (I think), Rare Ravers. Three long improvised guitar, drums and noise tracks (probably). Sounding less lo-fi than previous efforts.

Am looking forward to a new William Basinski album in March. 'Debut' album from Rema Rema coming up too, compiled from old tapes from 40 years ago - features some wallahs who went on to be in Wolfgang Press and Renegade Sound Wave (remember them?) and Marco Pirroni, it's the best stuff he ever did no question.

Back to the Dead C...