Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

Who was moaning about folk? seems to be a pretty fertile time for it atm. will check that out later, ta.

2. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

On the belboid top charts there were a few comments - that now i remember may actually have been about country.

3. butchersapron

Be Released should have been the single i think. The closer they sound to Broadcast the better they are.

4. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

This Snail Mail album is fantastic!!!

5. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Apologies if posted elsewhere but this Japanese band are my earworm at the moment

This track from album "Pink"

6. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Have you heard Perfume? They're like a Japanese Girls Aloud, with better tunes

krtek a houby likes this.
  7. mwgdrwg

This is brilliant!!!

krtek a houby likes this.
  8. krtek a houby

krtek a houby The end is meh

Yeah, apart from old school Shonen Knife, Cibo Matto and a few others, I tend to steer clear of J-Pop/rock but this outfit is almost punkish and going by the videos; humorous.

9. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Do soundtrack albums count? Colin Stetson's score for Hereditary is fucking immense:

billy_bob and Threshers_Flail like this.
  10. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Yes! Listened to it again on the bus this morning, it's great. Might catch them live in Manchester in the Autumn if I can remember to buy tickets.

11. killer b

Of course. Sounds good.

12. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Album is AMAZING - love love love it - was caning it all weekend....

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  13. butchersapron

On the folky end again the Keld You are the Wolf one is damn good too.

14. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Yeah I was having a bit of a complain about the weakness of country in 2017. Have to say I've not heard any country that's impressed me massively this year so far,* but then TBH I've not heard a lot in general.

If anyone's got any recommendations I'd be grateful.

*I'm not counting the latest Carla Bozulich as country, I know she's from that scene but Quieter doesn't really have any country influence.

15. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Melody's Echo Chamber - Bon Voyage

Excellent French psych-pop album. It starts off sounding kind of like Stereolab, but after a minute and a half hip hop breaks, scat singing and flutes drop in, then it continues to surprise with changes of style and mood from there on out: prog freak outs, sweet chanson, about three different languages. Desert Horse in particular walks a fine line between complete mess and ground breaking genius, but it made me go back to it three times in a row before I settled on the later. The album fits a lot into it's 33 minutes. And that's before you consider the backstory of break up, loss of confidence, new found direction and a serious accident that left her in hospital for months and delayed the album release by a year. I think I'll go and listen to it again.

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  16. mwgdrwg

Maybe my favourite album of the year so far...'Lush' by Snail Mail. It sounds so good in this fine weather we're having.

Love the 90s indie-pop yet still modern sound. Only 19 years old!

braindancer likes this.
  17. killer b

Indeliblelink, Fez909 and Spandex like this.
  18. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

went to the show on Sunday with a 72 piece orchestra! special and Kliph is a demon drummer! :cool:

19. 8115

8115 sitting down is bad for you

Is it just me who thinks the new Jon Hopkins is good then?

Five internet pounds to the first person to say derivative.

20. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

You Heard Me The First Time and Now What are TUNES :):thumbs:

Fez909 likes this.
  21. killer b

The whole thing is really nice. She played a set of totally new tracks - all bangers - last week too.

22. killer b

erm guys have you heard this from the new Low album?

23. mwgdrwg

Lucky you! Heard a couple of live tracks on the radio last night and it sounded great. If you want to re-live it here's the link - BBC Radio Cymru - Lisa Gwilym yn Cyflwyno..., Gruff Rhys a'r Gerddorfa

Negative vibes sounded superb, all of them did!

ddraig likes this.
  24. ddraig

ddraig dros ben llestri

yeah, listened to most of that last night, ta
    Kliph was/is funny :cool:

25. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

this Lingua Ignota album came out last year really, but is only getting a physical release this year and anyway people might have missed it and I think it is pretty amazing, if maybe not a pleasant listen, it is like industrial but with operatic sections

Indeliblelink likes this.
  26. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

Soundtrack does at least half the work on a good horror film. I might go to see this on the basis of the score alone.

27. billy_bob

Is it meant to sound like that??? I mean, it might be the best thing they've done if so. I've never really got on with them, apart from one track (Monkey) that I love.

28. billy_bob

I think Pinkshinyultrablast have placed in previous years' Belboid charts? Although the only person I can see mentioning them when I search is stavros. New album 'Miserable Miracles'. Synthpop with Cocteaus/shoegazey touches.

I think this is shaping up to be the best year for new albums for a while. Spoilt for choice on this thread.

stavros likes this.
  29. billy_bob

Just been listening to The Dead Tongues' Unsung Passage, which I guess is alt-country/american-gothic folk rather than straight-down-the-line country, but it might be worth a try...

redsquirrel likes this.
  30. redsquirrel

redsquirrel This Machine Kills Progressives

Ta, I'll give it a go.