Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Ive made up my mind to like the arctic monkeys new album because everyone hates it.

NickDVLDN likes this.
  2. Threshers_Flail

Threshers_Flail Well-Known Member

Looking forward to checking out the ILL one later, might try and see them live as well!

Totoro303 and Kaka Tim like this.
  3. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I had tried that with one song yesterday, and failed. I think I've managed to find Slithering Lizards, which seems the most distinctive track title, so I'll give it a go once I've finished my current album.

4. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Listened to it properly tonight. banging. Love the mad footwork style to it

Mattym likes this.
  5. Mattym

Mattym Well-Known Member

Exactly- who would've thought that Roma footwork would become a proper genre.

6. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs - Clipetty Clop

7. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

New Eleanor friedberger is good in a non spectacular way. If you like that sort of stuff.

8. butchersapron

This i need to listen to loudly later.

9. killer b

killer b No Hateration, No Holeration. in this Dancery

The album is more low key than the live show I discovered, but they're from Bristol so you should be able to check em out easily enough

10. butchersapron

They never seem to play here - bath is good enough for them though.

11. stavros

I discovered today that Venetian Snares and Daniel Lanois have made an eponymous album together, and the review I read said it was very good.

12. Threshers_Flail

See post #75. ;)

Aye they're good, perfect Sunday listening. :cool:

Indeliblelink likes this.
  13. Threshers_Flail

JUNGLEPUSSY deserves more love.

May Kasahara likes this.
  14. killer b

Got this album from Cath & Phil Tyler on heavy rotation atm - real nice northumbrian folk music. Timeless.

jbob, billy_bob and Sweet FA like this.
  15. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Great isn't it - saw them play this stuff a couple of weeks ago - which was nice...

16. killer b

If they were yanks it would be huge!

17. braindancer

braindancer not for long

She is a yank!

18. killer b

oh lol.

Y'know though. if they were doing yank alt-folk instead of an english take on the same they (could) be massive.

Although now you tell me she's a yank, it suddenly sounds a lot more american...

19. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Cath Tyler is big into the Sacred Harp style of singing from the Southern U.S. I'm no expert on this - but my friend who I went to the gig with has been to workshops she's lead....

And then there's the banjo :)

20. Fez909

Fez909 toilet expert

21. killer b

Not sure the banjo means anything tbf - it's all over english folk and has been for years. I had a Topic LP of lancashire folk on the other day, all mill songs accompanied by banjo. I think the cross-fertilisation of english and american folk has run both ways for centuries...

Kaka Tim likes this.
  22. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Yeah fair enough.

Phil Tyler has put out a series of solo banjo albums which are well worth a listen:

killer b likes this.
  23. Plumdaff

Plumdaff joy in people

Drinks (Cate le Bon and Tim Presley) new album - Hippo Lite. Angular, melodic, enjoyable.

jbob, dfm and Nanker Phelge like this.
  24. hash tag

hash tag Pedicabo omnes

Recently bought: Metallica Seattle '89 - a poor quality live album. It's on a par with the Quo live double and nowhere ner Live at Leeds. Not their finest tracks, not a good performance, too much banter with the audience, too much audience and a drum solo. 3/10.
    Skindred's Big Tings - has lost the edginess and strength of Union Black and Kill The Power. 5/10.
    Parkway Drive's Reverence. A newish band to me so wasn't sure what to expect. Have only given it one listen so far and not bad.

25. souljacker

souljacker A bit of skullduggery

New Jon Hopkins album is out, Singularity. I like it a lot.

jusali likes this.
  26. stavros

I got it today and have just finished my first listen. It'll need more plays to fully assess and appreciate. However, on first impressions the melodic ambience works OK with the crashing breakcore.

Oh, and kudos to my local HMV for having it in stock.

27. Mogden

Mogden I like tea

I've been giving that a listen too as Emerald Rush, I think that's it, caught my ear. Blinding and almost tempted me to Latitude to see him but I'm out of the country.

souljacker likes this.
  28. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

Not sure this is really my kind of thing but it's bright and energetic and . . .

1 - they're from Brixton and playing the windmill soon, so let's have some hateful local gossip about what dreadful bastards they undoubtedly are ;)

2 - this has the feel of a song opposed to this weekend's ugly patriotitc frenzy and that'll do for now...

29. ouchmonkey

ouchmonkey Singe Gainsbourg

helpless searchers for ILL - whole thing is on bandcamp and the first couple of tunes have amusing videos too

30. killer b

Got this album by Adam Stafford on atm - he throws a lot in there: minimalist neo-classical, beatboxing, low-slung postpunk dirges... plenty going on.

jbob likes this.