1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Album Recommendations 2018

Discussion in 'music, bands, clubs & festies' started by killer b, Jan 3, 2018.

1. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Kali Uchis

Dr. Furface likes this.
  2. Dr. Furface

Dr. Furface One small step for man

Versatile and inventive footwork from DJ Taye on his new album Still Trippin' on Hyperdub, here's the title track (well sort of)

nogojones and Threshers_Flail like this.
  3. Dragnet

Dragnet Well-Known Member

Just had my first listen on my way in to work this morning. Good album - I'd agree; for me, they're at their best when there's hints of that nursery rhyme/children's TV theme sound. Some of the shorter tracks remind me of the instrumental stuff on some of The Rebel's albums; not surprising given how much influence they take from the Country Teasers.

4. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

I'm enjoying Dungeness the new Trembling Bells one. I never really got on with these, just not my style of thing. I tried as i figured if Will Oldham rated them there must be something there - but i never clicked until Christ's Entry Into Govan earlier this year.

5. killer b

killer b Gazing vacantly at a plate of mince

I saw Trembling Bells on Friday, they were great. Like you I hadn't really been moved by them, but last year I saw them play a set with Mike Heron from the Incredible String Band, as well as a set by themselves and they were fab. I think the recent stuff is a lot meatier - Christs Entry Into Govan was the high point of the set.

6. killer b

(Check out that trappist afterland LP I posted last page btw Butch - I saw them on Saturday and they were outstanding, it was an accidental freak-folk weekender...)

7. butchersapron

butchersapron blood on the walls

Will do - ta.

8. belboid

belboid TUC Off Your Knees

New Gruff Rhys, Babelsberg, our on June 8

SpookyFrank and stavros like this.
  9. Sweet FA

Sweet FA ✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪

10. Sweet FA

11. belboid

Blimey, and another Julian Cope record, his second this month. Skellington 3, out now

12. killer b

will there be room for anyone else in your top ten this year?

13. belboid

There’ll be a token woman, of course

14. Sweet FA

belboid likes this.
  15. stavros

stavros Well-Known Member

I'll get it and probably quite like it, but I'd rather have a new SFA album.

16. killer b

Sometime The Knife & Robyn associate (And great artist in her own right) Jenny Wilson has just released a new L.P., which seems to be a cathartic exploration of of a violent rape she was subjected to and the aftermath, via the medium of electropop.

It's a brave, powerful and unsettling album, and the songs are also very catchy (which only adds to the discomfort). Lead single is here (the video is also unsettling...)

17. rutabowa

rutabowa YUPPIES OUT

Long awaited (by me anyway) debut album by Novelist "Novelist Guy" is up for preorder now, the track previews sound Awesome! I love his style of grime production, it is really um grimy. like more "boy in da corner" sounding than most recent stuff.
    Novelist Guy by Novelist

edit: in fact it is actually released today

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  18. nogojones

nogojones Well-Known Member

Some more grime ... Rawkid - Grum Vol.1

rutabowa likes this.
  19. stavros

The new Mouse on Mars album is out today. Alas my local usually quite dependable HMV didn't seem to have a copy, unless they'd filed it wrongly somehow.

20. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

On this kind of vibe, you listened to any jonwayne?

Edit: Just realised I'd commented about him on page 2

21. mwgdrwg

mwgdrwg Be a Pisces. Jam.

Juliana Hatfield sings Olivia Newton John...a whole album's worth, and it's fucking brill :D :D :D

22. belboid

23. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

No-One Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fuckin' Hedge Cut

Normally I'd say /thread at this point, but I was a bit underwhelmed with Urge for Offal. However, the album title, the song name 'Man of Constant Sorrow (With a Garage in Constant Use)', and the track ('Alehouse Futsal') that's up on Spotify are promising indeed.

stavros likes this.
  24. stavros

Excellent. I agree on Urge for Offal, although Stuck Up a Hornbeam is a cracking tune.

25. billy_bob

billy_bob supercalifragilistic-borussiamönchengladbach

I agree on that one. Actually, thought most of the album was OK music-wise. But Nigel's set his own high standards for lyrical verve, and didn't quite hit the mark last time round.

26. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Hollie Cook - Vessel of Love

The hype: daughter of Sex Pistol Paul Cook and Culture Club backing singer Jeni Cook, god-daughter of Boy George, played with The Slits, on her third album of 'tropical pop'.

The reality: sweet voiced lovers rock with modern production and a hint of 60s pop. Lovely.

27. Spandex

Spandex Well-Known Member

Perel - Hermetica

A mix of German house, synth and new wave. This couldn't get much further up my street. It's pretty varied in style but flows well. Die Dimension and Alles are clear standout tracks. I've been playing this loads since it was released on Friday.

Dr. Furface likes this.
  28. killer b

New Grouper album out next week, and this promo mix from Liz Harris looks sweet...

Threshers_Flail likes this.
  29. braindancer

braindancer not for long

Very nice mix! Looking forward to the album...